Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Potential Purchase Help

Hey Guys-
The new kid here. found so much great stuff on this site, it's unbelievable.

Question: as I prepare to start my first (full) season of cutting, I am in need of all serious lawn care equip (no more push mower from the pawn shop). Thought about trying to find a semi-complete outfit to snap up instead of buying equpiment piecemeal as I can find it and risk not having everything in time. (I cannot afford new stuff, no matter how much it may be suggested. I'm spread too thin as it is, and still want an 16' enclosed trailer).
Local classifieds listed a batch of equipment as a unit:

"2001 Toro walkbehind w/ jungle wheels (15 hp kawasaki??)
Shindaiwa EB630 backpack blower
Shindaiwa 272 trimmer"

Everything is supposed to run "great" for $2,400 OBO. The mower doesn't have a listing on the hours, and, since it's a walk behind, that means it doesn't have a meter? Can someone give me a very, very general idea of what the hours on this equip. would be, if it has been theoretically used since 2001? Also, if all of it is of average-hours, is $2,400 or less a reasonable deal?

Thanks, y'all.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

9 year old mower.

Blower and trimmer would have a street value of about $200.00 each.

You can get a new 36" eXmark for $3200 and the blower and trimmer for another $800.00. Now you have 2 years of warranty.

With the older mower you are looking at worn spindles, transmission, pulleys (yes pulleys wear out too), wheel bearings, tires and engine. A couple of spindles and a transmission could increase your investment to >3K and you still have an old mower.

Stretch a bit more and get some productive equipment. Finance the equipment, pay it off asap and go looking for that trailer.

Oldtimer
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the toro was a Hydro unit, and in decent condition...
I would be all over that.
If it's a belt drive...Heck no.

You can cut some grass with that setup.

By the way...all my walkbehinds have Hour Meters.

My suggestion is to go look, have him start it...and take pics, post them here, and we can give you a pretty good idea of If it's in decent shape or not. Of course not mechanical, but a good idea.

Take pics of the entire unit...try to get under the deck.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold one end of each blade and move it up and down. If you get any movement and a slight knocking sound the spindle isn't going to last long. Check the deck baffels for wear and shape. If they are worn and bent you just don't want that mower.

Grasp the transmission input pulley and check it for any lateral or vertical movement.
The transmission does not have output shaft seals so some grease piddling out around the shafts is acceptable and actually a good thing. Toro used to order the transmissions with a 10% over fill.

Check the front caster wheel bearings for wear and check the caster fork bushings for wear.

Hold the drive wheels off the ground and check the wheel bearings for wear. Just grab the tire and move it up and down. No movement is good and a lot of movement is not good.

Make sure the parking brake works well. If it doesn't the brake bands will need to be replaced and this also includes the brake drum which will also include the wheel drive belt pulleys The motion control bar should have about 2" clearance from the handle when pushed forward and you should be just barely able to set the parking brake when pulling it aft.

Push down on the handle to raise the front wheels almost off the ground. If one comes up first the mower deck is not bolted to the carrier frame correctly but that is a 5 minute fix at most. This could also indicate a difference in inflation of the rear wheels. They should be set @ 12psi.

Check the amount of threads left at the lower ends of the long rods going from the handles, down the side of the mower to the drive belt control levers. If just a few threads are showing get ready to buy a set of belts.

Oldtimer
Old 01-03-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I called the guy to ask a few questions. Found out:
-44" deck
-it's a belt drive
-he estimates 500-600 hours.
-comes with mulching blade and grass catcher
-he said that it has the original belt on it; other than changing the oil and lubing it, it's "never needed anything".
-comes with jungle wheels, extra belts, and maybe some pulleys or something.

plus, of course, the backpack blower and stick trimmer.

It does have a lot of hours; there is a monthly auction here that will have 15-20 used wb and ztr mowers... I'd like something with under 150 hours, really.

Budget goes like this (all used, but I am a discriminate buyer)-
WB mower- approx. $2,200-3,000
trailer (tandem axle enclosed 16')- $2,500
Backpack blower and edger- whatever remains.
I'm going to ask the band for $6,000. I can cough up the extra cash if I will need more, but money's tight. I seem to have a whole lot of bills for a college kid.

Tags
blower , buying , mower , price , weedeater