Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which one of these would you rather use on a fairly steep hill?
A stander of your choice. 16 38.10%
A walk-behind of your choice. 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
yeah, i know about velkes, but you cant ride those on a serious incline, i know and i have tried before when we used that set up as our main one. that is where my opinion comes from if that helps you to understand. i have mowed all ways on hills, with walkbehinds, tried also with a velke(failed), standers and many types of ztr's.

with this experience over many years now i can very much say the safest, most ground hugging mower i have ever used is the standers we have. so we will agree to disagree, but my experience has proven this, not a suggestion or educated guess.
That's cool, I have noticed the opposite, but I think it has a lot to do with which style,size,etc...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Polls are neato!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

on steep hills you can muscle w/b (basically assist or balance it) with the handlebars, sulky - helps as counterweight
with sulky you can go on w/b nose down the hill as on frontmunt mower, where other - can only slide : )))
when you need more weight on the front - you just step-off, you can maneuver it, no matter what traction each wheel has
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
on steep hills you can muscle w/b (basically assist or balance it) with the handlebars, sulky - helps as counterweight
with sulky you can go on w/b nose down the hill as on frontmunt mower, where other - can only slide : )))
when you need more weight on the front - you just step-off, you can maneuver it, no matter what traction each wheel has
Then you should vote for the WB in the poll.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks johnny. it is my opinion, but there ARE several factors like operator weight, height, experience, deck size, tire size. you get the idea. but in MY experience, well you read the post!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Member

We won't have our stand on for a few more months but the Toro grandstands allow you to flip up the deck so you can stand or walk behind in sticky situations. With my experience (none) I vote for the stand on.

SEMPER FI
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Outdoor Services View Post
We won't have our stand on for a few more months but the Toro grandstands allow you to flip up the deck so you can stand or walk behind in sticky situations. With my experience (none) I vote for the stand on.
I have extensive experience with the Wright Stander and limited experience with the Toro Grandstand but I would bet that stepping off of the mower when on a hill will be a detriment to the hill holding capacity. It will take the weight off of the drive tires and the machine will get front heavy. It will then tend to nose downhill and, with no weight on the drive tires, it will do so and you can pick it up at the bottom.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Great Dane and it is worthless going down or side to side. My Scag TT is just about as good my hydro wb.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the wrights are very good on hill, and the other great dane and knock off are worthless. the grandstand is great as i hear from guys here as the operator platform is behind the tires, if you step off you WILL decrease traction.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grassman, what style and size stander(s) do you use?