Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Already wanting to ditch the 2500HD for something with better fuel economy...

Am I crazy?? I just bought my '08 GMC 2500HD in August, and after seeing how BAD the fuel economy is, and that it dosn't really improve on the highway, I think I'm ready to trade down into a smaller truck!
Now, I really haven't fallen in love with the new GMC, the only thing I really like about it is the remote start, that's been soooo nice this last week with this cold. Other than that I'm not that fond of it...

But what to do? It only had 9,500 miles on it (a year old) when I bought it, and now has a whole 11,500. Thankfully I got it about $3K under blue book. I put a few things on it, mud flaps (factory), vent visors, and bed caps. Thankfully I didn't spend the $$$ for wheels or a lift.

I'm thinking about a Dakota, Colorado, Tacoma... Something in the "midsize" truck catagory. I already have a 1 ton Chevy with a dump bed, and a 3/4 ton dodge with a dump bed, so I have no shortage of REAL trucks when I really need one. Having a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 gasser in it to just drive around town is silly at best. Tired of seeing the fuel guage drop like a rock!

Am I NUTS though?? I know ANY 4wd truck, even the smaller ones don't get great fuel economy, but i I can get around 20 mpg on the highway, that's almost a 2X improvement of where I am now...
Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What year of Midsize are you looking for?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

'07 or newer probably. I'll have about $27K in trade-in, I may be able to get a new model with that. I want to trade straight across, Don't need MORE payment by any means...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

6.0's are just PIGS! we are lucky to get 230miles out of a full 26gal tank. nature of the beast my friend, lol, just grin and bear it.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe things are different in KS, but brand new 2010 GMC 2500HD gas 4x4's are selling in the $26-30K range. The only way they are going to give you that much on a trade is if you purchase a more expensive model and extend your payments.
3-5 additional MPG's is not going to have a significant impact on your overall operating expense unless you are running a large fleet of trucks.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to get at least a 07 or 08 for that I know I went and looked at brand new Tacoma's on the lot the other week and they were stickered at 33k, a little ridiculous for a midsize. but it was a pretty well equipped crew cab. For a few more thousand bucks you could get a tundra.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always liked the mid 90's tacoms. They last forever get great millage and you can actually put a load on it or behind, unlike the rangers and s10's.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looked at the tundras and the tacomas, breifly. Just not for me really. The tundras are nice I guess, but I'd be better off with the truck I have, they are fuel hogs as well. The tacoma just didn't "feel" right to me and the brakes SUCK!!! Have to mash the pedal to the floor just for a normal stopping.

I'm waiting on a ford f-150 to come in from another town to test drive. It has all the stuff on the inside I like, plus a sunroof, lol. Leather, etc. Unfortunately has higher miles than the one I have though... But finding trucks that only have 10K on them is rare. The Dodge rams are nice, but again, don't have some of the comfort thing I want, and are out of my price range as there's no used 4x4 models out there. GMC and Chevy are the same way, new is too much $$$ and the used ones either have the same dumbass fold down console/seat or they have NO legroom for someone my height.

In the end I may just have to drive even less. As it is I hardly drive my "good" truck at all, but when it's always low on fuel that makes it harder.

The midsized trucks are almost out of the question, the dealers don't even stock the Dakota or colorado. and the tacoma is just out of sight in price for what it is. (and that rattle you hear and feel that is the engine would drive me nuts.)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you work a half ton or smaller, towing anything at all it's going to get bad fuel economy also. For highway mileage, of course a small vehicle will do much better. Why did you buy a big truck to just drive on the highway?

You mentioned that the Tundra is a gas hog and it is... IF you tow with it. Without a trailer behind it, it does better than the other half tons and you have gobs of power.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why did I get the 2500? Well I had planned to sell my Dodge 2500 with the dump bed, so I wanted to have the towing capicity to tow my lawn rig. Well I can't get squat for the dodge, it's worth $10K to me but only $4K to anyone else, so I said F-it, I'll just keep it. So Now I have the 1 ton Chevy dump and the Dodge dump. Don't NEED a 2500HD just to bum around in... But, I want something large enough to accomidate me comfortably, either just around town or on the highway.

The numbers on the sitcker on the Tundra were awful. 12 city and 15 hwy I believe. My GMC should get that if driven carefully. No reason to trade if that's the case. THe Ford looks promising, but I haven't driven it... Friend of mine had one and was getting 18 on the highway with a lead foot. He put 120K on that truck and never did anything to it other than oil changes and a couple sets of tires. I'm not a ford guy, but they are pretty nice. Plus, fords have more room in the wheelwells for larger tires... GMs you have to jack up into the sky to fit anything more under there, or do body mods. Yes, I like a lifted truck (mild). And yes, I understand that dosn't help fuel economy either, but I had larger tires on my Z-71 and really didn't see much of a drop.