Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

He's right. There is a bit more to it than just changing carbs. But, I don't know that much about it. I run the office, so let's not get too technical! :-) We have tried almost every propane mower that we know of on the market. (I chuckled when I saw one of the responses from "DixieChopper".) They were one, Caterpillar was another, and a few more. So far, we have determined that our own conversions are the best for our uses right now. We are also converting our 2 and 4 cycle motors so that at least one of our crews will be 100% propane powered for our commercial customers when season opens in April. I have not heard anyone say anything, good or bad, about the horsepower or speed. But, they are quieter and cleaner, therefore don't need oil changes as often. And I believe we are getting far better mileage from them. We are looking at saving the equivalent of 10,000 gallons of gasoline this year. (i.e. gas vs. propane mileage). This might be of more assistance - http://www.melaweb.org/news.html
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone go to the GIE-EXPO this last week!!. We did and we are stoked! 1 pound refillable propane cylinders(think green coleman camping containers). This will be able to run everything small that we have. Trimmers, blowers, push mowers, etc. Being the first company on the planet running on 100 percent domestic alternative fuel, Propane, Competitive Lawn Service is now the first company for Propane Snow and Ice Management services. Now those penguins and polar bears are really being saved!!

Check this out and start switching over now.

http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/gie-...ic-hansen.aspx
Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I would consider propane an alternative fuel given it is a byproduct of refined petroleum and processed natural gas.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Kiril,

Since it is 20-60 percent less greenhouse gas emissions, domestically produced, and cleaner than fossil fuels, got a better idea? Batteries? They are charged with domestically produced coal or nuclear power, or windmills, all which have their faults as well. I believe that you are the only one who believes propane to NOT be an alternative fuel.........
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Given it is derived from fossil fuels, it doesn't really matter if it is cleaner or not. IMO, alternative means something other than fossil fuels, and it would appear I am not alone in that thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_fuel
Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Propane and Alternative Fuel

Alternative Fuel Lawn Care specializes in conversion of fuel systems on commercial mowers. Propane was added as an approved Alternative Fuel by the Energy Act of 1992. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/ It is however a co-product or by-product of fossil fuel refinement so we are hopeful even better alternatives will become available in the future.

For now and the near future we advise our customers that propane is the best alternative fuel for use commercially. It greatly reduces emissions and will save a little over $1000 per unit annually through fuel cost and maintenance reduction. Over 82% of propane used nationally is produced right here in the USA. Another 12% comes from Canada and Mexico.

Whether you purchase our products or elsewhere please don't hesitate contact us with any questions you may have.
Let us show you how going green can save you money. Nationally we offer commercial fuel conversion kits as well as installation services to Indiana companies. If you are local we can set you up with a propane tank exchange program. Still uncertain? Feel free to check out the resources page on our website or contact us with any questions.

It's not only the best color for the lawn!
www.AlternativeFuelLawnCare.com
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Propane is an Alternative Fuel

Kiril,

According to the Federal Government 1992 act, propane is an alternative fuel. See the Department of Energy report on Propane

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuel...ternative.html

The Federal Government has set up local not for profits around the country calling them the Clean Cities Coalition. Our group is the Chicago Area Clean Cities Coalition. Its Mission Statement is to promote the transition to alternative fuels. Bio Diesel, CNG, E85, Propane, Electric, and Hybrid Electric Trucks and Cars.

All of these are known to reduce the carbon emissions that an engine emits. Just because it isn't a bicycle, doesn't mean it is bad. We can be doing our part when we reduce our emissions. If you need more information about propane, post it.

Did you go to the Louisville Kentucky show last week. We were there in the Propane Education and Research Booth. Here is my Ford F350 Roush/Ford dedicated propane 4x4 supercab with 8 foot Ultramount Pro Plow and tow/snow prep package. It was wrapped by the Roush Boys(can I say that??) and is kickin' . It is surrounded by a bunch of propane mowers that sponsor this site(can I say that?).....

Best Regards,

Eric Hansen

www.greenpropanepower.com
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't really care what the federal government chooses to include in their list of "alternative" fuels for transportation purposes, especially considering they reserve the right to change that list as they see fit. IMO (in my opinion), it is not alternative unless it is something other than fossil fuels or derivatives of fossil fuels. Clearly the definition of "alternative fuel" is subjective here. You guys can choose to include propane in that list, or at least until the feds decide to remove it from their list of "approved alternative fuels", I however choose not to.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

There is some money and a little research behind it....just sayin....what are you running on sustainable?

Best regards,

Eric Hansen
www.greenpropanepower.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehansen@competitivelawn.c View Post
There is some money and a little research behind it....just sayin....what are you running on sustainable?
I'm not in the mow & blow biz.