Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed Trailer Wall Thickness

I have decided after 7 full years in the biz that it is time to step up from my open trailer to an enclosed one. I thought buying an enclosed trailer would be a simple task. I have looked at a couple of dealers and found a couple of 7x16models I really like and at what seems to be a good price. One of the main differences is the wall thickness. One has 3/8" walls, and the other has 3/4". From what I gather, 3/8" is fairly standard. I was wondering what some of you have. I don't mind paying the extra for the 3/4", but if I don't need it, then I hate to waste that money. I will be hanging trimmers on the wall. What is your experience been with this? Any other features I need to look for? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some of them have actual plywood walls and others have that stuff call luan. Luan is super cheap, thin plywood that you can't hang anything off of. Mine has luan walls so I just added 2' of plywood around the entire bottom to protect from bumping.

Either way, even with plywood, you will want to mount anything and everything to the metal frame work with self tapping screws.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

both of these are plywood. Sorry for not making that clear. The 3/8" seems sturdy, but I didn't know how it would hold up over time. And I was concerned about bumping the sides with my ZTR also.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should be fine with the 3/8, 3/4 seems like overkill. I guess it would depend on how much extra the 3/4 is. I would hope most of the time you can pull the mowers in without hitting the walls
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, you would think I could It is about $400 diff. The one with 3/8" is a v nose and the 3/4" one is not.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the v nose and save the extra $400 for other stuff...just dont slam your ztr into the walls and you will be ok. Few bumps arent going to go through your walls.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! Actually I am looking at another trailer now. It's a Horton. It too has the 3/8" walls. I think that thickness is fine too. Horton seems to be the best quality trailer I have seen so far. It is more expensive though. I hate decisions.