Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may make this offer to a customer

In a neighborhood of about 90 upper middle class homes (250-400k) where we have 4 accounts. One of my customers is an absentee out of state owner. He only pays for mow and blow and the yard and landscape needs some work to make it look good. It is the 2nd house as you enter the neighborhood and next to the common area and clubhouse. Thinking about offering to trim the bushes, put down new pine straw, fertilizer, edge, and perhaps some annuals in exchange for a yard sign. I would continue to charge him for the mow and blow. I think he would allow the yard sign anyway, but since it looks so average, I did not want to advertise his yard looking the way it does. If we could pick up 2-3 more accounts in there is would easily pay for itself. We don't have much else to do right now anyway.
What do you think?
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would do it as long as it won't hurt you if you don't get any work out of it. I'm not saying you won't just that as long as you can afford not getting anything back.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

First , are yard signs legal in that neighborhood and county 24 / 7 , 365 days a year ?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering about 20 houses are for sale in there anyway, another yard sign probably would not cause a stir. The neighbors would probably like the place touched up anyway. The cost would be mostly labor and under $100 for materials. I will check with one of the community leaders and the county about the sign, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think about any laws restricting. Most forms of advertising result in big cost with little return, I'm always trying to find an alternative that can get results I can verify.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe go door to door and tell people to stop and look at the house after you do it.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I have seen it banned in other areas . In fact while living in Florida I was not allowed to have one on my own lawn to do my own advertising .
In some areas you are allowed one as long as you are at the premises doing actual work .
I relize you want to use that house because everyone has to pass it. But, I am also thinking why not continue great work on the lawns you already have .That are paying for extras .
What I am thinking is ... you have different houses in the neighborhood and each week you leave a sign on a different yard ?
This is only my thought and by no means the right way of doing it . I just hate the thought of giving the "cheapy blow and go guy " a beautiful yard when the neighbors that do care are paying you to look beautiful . Why not give them a lil perk for the use of their yard ?
Just my 2 cents . Best of luck which ever way you go ! Jim
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't stick my neck out like that either, next thing you know they'll call
the homeowner first to find out what your prices are like...
And he tells them how that sign come about, after which you get a call.

Which is not to say I never do special favors but those folks I have known the longest are always first on that list,
at least that way I've got some assurance I might get pay back in a good way, even then it can be a bit of a wild shot.

Last edited by topsites; 01-28-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do other home care services give away their business hoping someone else will be impressed? The answer to that question would be no fellas. Why are the lawnboys so thick when it comes to doing business? You cant make money by giving away your services.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I did. If you have a customer at the enterence, park your truck so every one going by can see your name and number. Cut the grass during the hour most people are coming home at the end of the day. Then next week cut it early in the morning when every one is going to work. Seeing your crew working is like watching the evening news. Film at 11:00 is what they always say. Why, because that is what America wants. Live activity. Yard signs suck, they suck even more when they cost you money.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my priorities in my business is to have clients grouped together. I have one higher end neighborhood where I have 11 yards. I have many other more expensive yards, but as a group they are my most profitable. I can do 8 of them without moving my truck. I started out with 2 yards there and it took 4 years of hard work to reach this level. Except for 1 other yard I am the only LCO in that development. After the initial 2 yards, the rest were all by referal or they approached me. Be pateint and do not give away your services, neighbors gossip alot. Be there same day and time every week, people like conisistency. Do little things that may cost you a minute or two but not money. I will drag a garbage can back from the street for a couple of older folks, while I am blowing sidewalks I will put the newspaper on their porch, or pick up a small piece of debris laying around. I cross my fingers every spring, because this neighborhood gets alot of lawn service flyers, with prices lower than mine.