Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Grandstand suggestion

Hearing that the Grandstand in walk mode can be lacking a little on rear traction as the operator's weight is not there, I wonder if it would be possible to devise a system to transfer the unit's front weights quickly to the rear, or at least a way to quickly remove front weights so that the weight balance in walk mode is better. Some sort of quick attachment for the weights might be an easy fix.

This machine is more appealing if it can double as a true walk behind substitute for rainy soft ground, mowing delicate turf, and insane slopes/ditches. W/O proper traction people will reject it for that use. While currently it's nominally capable of that, reports seem to indicate that especially on slick turf, it might actually be worse than standing on it due to traction issues.

I figure a lot of guys might pick one up if they thought it could to the jobs formerly requiring two different machine types (wb and ztr/stander)
Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

How much of an issue is the walk-behind traction? I would be looking likely at the 48"/24HP model and would be spending a good amount of time walking behind it, on slopes. What model do you have?

Toro-

Do you have front/rear weight distribution figures (%)?...for the 2010 48"/24HP 74568?? What is the total weight limit and individual weights (lbs) of the optional weight kit for the Grandstand?

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can not walkbehind the machine on a hill. Ride it.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

lilweeds-

Why is that? I assumed that replacing a walk-behind with a GrandStand I would walk the slopes...would you explain further?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have NO traction without your weight on the back of the machine. Trust me though, if you saw some of the slope I can cut standing on the GS, you'll never walk behind it. The only time I walk with it is loading (sometimes) and under branches.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweeds View Post
you have NO traction without your weight on the back of the machine. Trust me though, if you saw some of the slope I can cut standing on the GS, you'll never walk behind it. The only time I walk with it is loading (sometimes) and under branches.
lilweeds- my guess is that there are a number of variables here, degree of slope, moisture condition of lawn, etc. but it is good to hear that the GrandStand will handle slopes while 'riding' as evidenced by your post. I look forward to learning what my situation will be.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll take some pics of the one hill that I run it on. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever go back to a z, or for that matter use any other mower, but IMO it's not a great walkbehind. From the lack of weight in the back, to the height of the controls. Like I said though you can run it anywhere.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

lilweeds

I am looking forward to the height of the controls. My Encore premier walk-behind is too low for me, I'm always bending over a bit. Do you notice a difference in walk-behind performance when going as slow vs high speeds? I assume that walking you don't approach 8mph, but is the 2-3mph range better for walk-behind traction?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No not really, best thing you can do is use one. On a flat surface it's fine, but like I said on a hill it just slides.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweeds View Post
+1. There really is no need to walk behind it. I climb some really steep slopes that if you step off the rear wheels will just spin if on wet/moist turf. Once you get used to how it handles you'll hardly ever walk behind it.
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer