Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
Did the "flex deck" scalp? A lot of good designs are bought up and never introduced to the market.
If it is specially designed, then it probably wont scalp. However, if he had someone just move in the caster wheel with no other mods, it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Forgot to mention pilot controls built into the seat or armrest. Forget the sticks to fold in and out and jump out of seat - armrest with pilot controls like that of a skid or mini ex.
I really like that idea, but I would have to try it out before I could recommend it. Those controls would be especially nice with a suspension seat.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I wonder where you could find the much smaller castors and forks though, like the ones they use for the bigger Ferris ZTR deck anti- scalpers?
I looked at those but I didn't like the little plastic wheels without bearings. My caster spends a lot of time on the ground and those little plastic wheels would be worn out in no time. Kinda the reason they don't use little plastic wheels on the front of fixed deck walkbehinds.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I stopped reading after "built like a brick sh!t house"

What a joke. You won't be able to mail a single piece of advertising because it will violate usps standards.

Why even bother to post something like that?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this whole thought of starting new company of this caliber at this time the way our country is, is a joke.. didn't exmark just lay off workers? heard dixie not doing good either. you hear people on here all the time saying (i will not buy new exmark in first 2 years to see if its tested and as good as last mower) thats like the only saying you really hear almost all agree on on this site.. now a whole new company??? no reputation. dont know how well warranty coverage will be. parts. i can go on and on. next if you dont have millions to put into company to start good luck getting a loan to start this now...
Plus, the name... Really??? whos gonna buy a mower named red neck...
Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't want bells and whistles
don't want weight
don't want speed
don't want style

want cut quality (wet or dry)
want comfortable ride (that doesn't mean suspension btw)
want over powered ( trumps speed imo..vrooooom!)
want wide tires/low profile
want bulletproof

i don't care if its named/looks like a turd !

Make it cut,climb,comfortable,dependable. They will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpriced
Well, that's a disrespectful load of BS... because when I checked out John Deere's ZTR's they were CHEAP.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Whatever you do "Don't name it Redneck and above all don't paint it red! Hustler is going to fail with it's new, red, "cheaper version" called "Big Dog". Boy! Where is the creativness drifted off to. Other than that, my opinion would be a tilting deck for blade and cleaning , a large wide side discharge, caster wheels on the corner of the deck for less turf damage from turning scars, a great seat(spend the money on this), at least 10 miles per hour, and no matter how much research is required, design a deck with a superior cut at all increments. I've ridden a Ferris 1500 for five years. It's a decent mower but Ferris has rested too much on their great "suspension" laurels and ignored their decks completely. Maintenance is almost impossible unless you've got a lift and special tools. I've had to spend hundreds of dollars on maintenance because of grease serts that I couldn't reach plus changing or having blades sharpened. The cut is only decent at 2.0 and 2.5 but at 2 it scars the turf in turns unless I back up twice. This is time consuming and wouldn't happen if the little wheels on the corner of the deck were caster wheels. The big 61s and 72s do have casters. The cut on 3 is barely acceptable and 3.5 and up is rediculously bad. Also make the deck adjustments in 1/4 increments. Don't mean to sound off so much but it seems all the companies are adding one little thing each year to compete but nothing is done about the cut and ease of maintenance. Keith. MOW TIME Lawn Service. Missouri
Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
No more trailering from job to job,
Dan H
Interesting that you mention that. Years ago I purchased a Gizmow and got a factory tour. On the floor were several ZTRs that came complete with bumpers, headlights, taillights, turn signals, horn, trailer hitch, on board tool box, fender and tank guards, full engine cover, and even a place to mount a license plate. Apparently those mowers were destined for overseas use (England I believe) where the LCO's do just that - they drive them from job to job instead of trailering them. The ZTRs are road worthy and street legal over there. Of course, they don't have to deal with American drivers...

Found a pic of the front of one - it's all I could find. Notice the spring loaded castors on the deck.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

?????? Who would buy a new mower for over $10,000 ?
?????? Who would buy a new mower that no one has parts to fix ?
?????? Who would buy from a new company ?
?????? Who would buy with a name like that ?

no one that I know...........
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Apparently, not many like the name. I am indifferent to it, but perhaps you should rename it Corriher. It is unique and sounds like it is associated with quality.
I'll second that. Goes back to the old cliche that if you're going to put your name on it, you must believe in it!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the remote grease fittings idea, though I wouldn't waste the dollars putting them all in one spot. Just make them easy to get to. All it takes is a little hose and wouldn't cost much in the grand scheme of things. If you want this mower to come across as the easiest to service, a few bucks here and there go a long way.

Integrated chain/strap loops - only a few newer mowers have dedicated tie-down points, and this is a part of the mower LCOs will use all day every day. Well worth the money.

Consider a hybrid deck comprised of a fabricated shell with a stamped baffle system underneath - no buildup, with the strength of a fabbed deck. Like a reinforced 7ga outer shell and a 10ga underneath would be plenty. And you could use different baffle shells if you were going to make a northern-friendly deck and southern-grass friendly deck.

if you do an electric or hydraulic deck lift system, make it where you can set the deck height in 1/4" increments and then use the switch/lever to raise and lower it to that position. Just make sure there's a lift assist like what Bad Boy has available, but use a knurled bar like Scag and Hustler use. It's easier on your feet.

For flat free tires up front, don't use the foam Amerityres. Those come apart. Use Carlisle Reliants, or something like those.

Grey seats, please! I don't get all these companies that use black seats that burn the crap outta your butt.

This would be a cool project, but the ZTR market badly needs a computer system onboard. If we're in the business of innovation, this would be a big step. Think about the possibilities as far as diagnostics, etc. What I have in mind, though, is the ability for the onboard computer to measure parameters such as the rate of change in a ZTR's control position to detect whether or not the operator is about to burn out, and apply "torque management". Could reduce skid marks on lawns from noob operators, or even experienced operators in poor conditions. Make a couple of settings with more or less torque management based on conditions (but make it easy to understand like "wet" or "dry" mowing)

with an onboard computer, you could also have a system like the new Toros and eXmarks and Deeres with the interlock system that tells you which switch isn't depressed that's keeping you from starting it.

Also, it would be cool if it had a digital fuel gauge on it. I know this can't cost too much, because the new Snapper lawn tractors have a full blown LCD on the dash that tells you the time and everything.

tamperproof digital hourmeter like the new Toros/eXmarks, with maintenance reminders like the Snappers!

adjustable control sticks like the Bad Boy Outlaw or the Scags.

to avoid patent issues and to make for a better cut with suspension, you could make a pivoting rear axle with dual or quad shocks on it, like a truck. that way you could link the deck up to it to prevent scalping. Same with the front.

to get this thing into the hands of consumers, put a long warranty like 5 years on it, but limit it to 500 hours. make a 2 year/2000hr warranty or something like that for commercial use.

big +1 on the flip-up deck for ease of deck service. like the Country Clipper.

short control lever range like Scags so people with short arms can control them.

consider running parts through an alternative distribution system like Redneck Trailer parts or another nationwide company.