Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post

Originally Posted by oughtsix http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...04#post3442204

was all that really needed, damn, i mean wow!!
not for everyone, sure - same as in auto industry; i agree with Oughtsix - how many people, forums, organizations, companies exist dedicated to customising, remodeling, enhancing, etc. - in auto world; and how many you can see in green industry? everybody has different grass, terrain, preferences and weapon of choice - but "one fits all FordT approach from OEM (one deck for all!) : )))))
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the idea of centralized drive motors w/ shafts and hub assemblies to take the weight and abuse of the mower bouncing. This would be even easier to do if you used a hydraulic motor to run the deck belt as well. You could run a hydraulic pump off of a skid steer for the ultimate life expectancy and all the hydraulic power you would ever need.

I like the idea one guy posted on here about being able to add options such as a 2 stage blower, sweeper, flail mower and things like that.

I vote instead of the larger engines out of cars use small frame Turbo'd diesel engines to get the compact size and still have more than enough torque and hp to get any job done.

One thing i do not understand is why people are saying they dont want you brakes. I have read many posts that grill mower companies about not having ROPS standard. They like that they dont have a choice in the matter because its safety. I say this is the next step in safety. Though not for everyone (neither is having a ROPS setup) it is there for that one time when it could save a life.

I have seen several post about having centralized greasing points well i say you do one better. Groeneveld makes kits you fill w/ grease and they do the greasing for you. sending hoses to your grease points and filling as needed. They have a nice clear container so you can see when its getting low and they use them in practically all conditions so its not like the dust will hurt or the abuse is too much.

im sure ill think of more but that is it for now.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagon View Post
You could run a hydraulic pump off of a skid steer for the ultimate life expectancy and all the hydraulic power you would ever need.
It's not the pump on a skid steer that makes their system superior. It's a type of hydro system called Quad Loop. The difference is instead of only having 2 hoses going to the wheel motors it has 3. The third hose is a return to the hydro tank. That way you don't have hot oil constantly being returned to the pumps and it keeps the whole system cooler. Dixie Chopper already uses this same exact system.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's not the pump on a skid steer that makes their system superior. It's a type of hydro system called Quad Loop. The difference is instead of only having 2 hoses going to the wheel motors it has 3. The third hose is a return to the hydro tank. That way you don't have hot oil constantly being returned to the pumps and it keeps the whole system cooler. Dixie Chopper already uses this same exact system.
hmm, true - small differnce: same pump, same basically motor but separate port out - seems too easy and obvious - hot oill doesn't comes back to pump;
strange, looks like other tring to save on simple low pressure hoses now (and win on replacement parts later)
Attached Images

Last edited by demhustler; 03-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. That's my hydro system. In 10 years of owning Dixies I've never noticed that fourth hose before. I guess that's why they call it a quad loop eh?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

10k isn't alot for a mower. Heck if commercial mowers are going to be your commitment, $9-14k mowers are gonna be your range. Obivously if it is going to cost much more then the others, it needs to be a better mower.
  • I really like the interchangeable deck idea. A large frame mower that could swap from a 52" to a 92" deck would be great. The rear wheels could be on an adjustable part of the frame, allowing them to slide in and out similar to how AG tractors adjust wheel width based on row crops. Or even just offset rims that are reversible, flip them around to push the wheel out 8" extra on each side. That way it can be a narrow mower with a small deck for tight areas, or a wide mower with a big deck for large areas.
  • Also, REAR DISCHARGE decks should be an easy option to order and get. Alot of us mow places like parks and campgrounds where the public is always nearby. I get really nervous mowing with a side discharge deck within 50' of people.
  • As to frame design, I think you should at least look at the idea of a perimeter frame (similar to a rock buggy tube chassis). It would obviously have a built in ROPS and it might even have the option of adding a cab. Dirt bikes, sport bikes, race quads, race sleds(snowmobiles), those are where you should look for ideas in frame design.
  • Someone else mentioned an accessory pto. I think thats a great idea. Extra hydro outlets should be an option also. This system should be sure to be closed so to not contaminate the main system.
  • Accessories can cost extra, sell it how the buyer wants. Stripped, loaded, or somewhere in the middle.

Good luck. Remember it may take a long time and a long commitment to reach your goals. It might take 10-20 years before you have a mower that I'd (or another) might buy, but if you can change the mower industry for the better along the way I'm all for it.

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...
Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Off the shelf (NAPA) belts,simple easy easy oil change hose to the back of machine,Std flat -free tires.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

sme kind of suspension for the wheels or chair itself. mowing all day on open bumpy ground can really really really start to hurt after awile. i would love to see that on a mower. lvoe it

Walker 36in 11HP ZTR

STIHL FS 100 RX Trimmer
STIHL FC 75 Edger
STIHL BG 55 Blower
Husqvarna 150BT Backpack Blower
ECHO SRM 225i Trimmer

2002 Dodge Ram 1500

16' Co-hann Trailer

"A Democrat is someone who would stop to help you change a flat tire, but would somehow manage to set your car on fire."
Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Redneck Mowers

"The Mullet Series"

Xenon lights on the ROPS
12v receptacles
Cat Yellow
Hydraulic deck motors (adjustable speed)
Tach/temp/oil pressure gauges
-
"Work as if everything depended on you......pray as if everything depended on God."
-
-
“Don’t Be Afraid…Only Believe”
Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

forget the brakes its just one more thing to fix.. build a deck that fuctions in all types of grass with a large discharge .....keep center of gravity as low as possible and find a different name cause that name sounds like a joke and no serious cutter wants to look like a joke ..mostly dont just build another mower with more gagets that break build some thing that is strong ,compact, and reliable