Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont know if your still in the design phase but here are some ideas

1. Front suspension or pivoting front beam, whichever works best

2. Suspension Seat

3. Easily adjustable deck. Mowers tend to come from the factory with random adjustments. Some cut high from the factory some cut low, it would be nice to be able to adjust the deck to ones own needs when necessary .

4. A deck that can go from closed baffle to open baffle with little hassle. Open decks tend to cut better in not so optimal conditions (John Deere 7 Iron) While others cut best in dry conditions (Exmarks First Ultra Cut Series 4)

5. I like how Dixie Choppers hand both an oil cooler for the engine and the hydraulics.

6. Ease of oil change, both engine and hydraulic. Its amazing how many manufacturers got this one wrong.

7. Foot pedal for raising the deck when needed.

8. Propane/CNG option

9. Fuel guage

10. Tachometer

11. I see a lot of lawn mowers that use a 5gal bucket attached to the frame with a bungie cord for trash. It just sits on the deck and eventually wears the powder coat off. Maybe make something more purpose built for this.

12. Grease-able spindles.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Take the 4 top mowers John Deere,Exmark,Scag,Kubota and combine them into one. All four of these mowers are top notch!!

Dont forget to make a great walkbehind also, combine an Exmark TT with a Hustler Trimstar
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290 View Post
Dont know if your still in the design phase but here are some ideas

1. Front suspension or pivoting front beam, whichever works best

2. Suspension Seat

3. Easily adjustable deck. Mowers tend to come from the factory with random adjustments. Some cut high from the factory some cut low, it would be nice to be able to adjust the deck to ones own needs when necessary .

4. A deck that can go from closed baffle to open baffle with little hassle. Open decks tend to cut better in not so optimal conditions (John Deere 7 Iron) While others cut best in dry conditions (Exmarks First Ultra Cut Series 4)

5. I like how Dixie Choppers hand both an oil cooler for the engine and the hydraulics.

6. Ease of oil change, both engine and hydraulic. Its amazing how many manufacturers got this one wrong.

7. Foot pedal for raising the deck when needed.

8. Propane/CNG option

9. Fuel guage

10. Tachometer

11. I see a lot of lawn mowers that use a 5gal bucket attached to the frame with a bungie cord for trash. It just sits on the deck and eventually wears the powder coat off. Maybe make something more purpose built for this.

12. Grease-able spindles.

1.I have tried many types of front suspension, so far the best result is from a stiff torsion bar so it's not too soft to let the mower float, but has plenty of give when you hit bump. So it will have an independent front axle with a torsion bar for each side that runs from the front to the back in the middle of the mower frame.

2. It will be the best seat that has been on a mower yet, you will love it.

3. Adjustment will be made from a single setting that will be very simple and user friendly

4. Not working on closing the baffles off yet, but the deck I am working on is going to look a lot like the Scag velocity deck with many improvements on the scalping wheels.

5. There will be coolers on the engine and hydraulics. The hydraulic coolers, unlike any other mower, will have high pressure coolers which actually cool 100% of the oil going through each motor instead of cooling less than 20% of the oil that is returned back to the reservoir. Most manufacturers don't even realize this.

6. You are going to love my design. I am thinking of the user first, as I am also a user.

7. The deck will be raised and lowered like a Kubota with a dedicated hydraulic pump that is very quick, it's the best of both worlds, it is as quick as a foot pedal, and you don't have to do anything manually, and will be conveniently reached for foot actuation

8. Maybe later, very limited market, but easy to do.

9. Tanks will not be mounted on the side so you will have great visibility of your deck, and the tank will be square and the gauge we use should be very accurate, and will also have a sight gauge.

10. It will have a tachometer, and of course an hour meter.

11. I will have to think about that one, not a bad idea.

12. You will get greasable spindles with Timkin style bearings with tapered roller and cup, the biggest problem with sealed bearings to start with is the manufacturer uses a cheap bearing, but for those of you who wash your mower weekly, it leaves a rust ring around the seal which quickly deteriorates the seal, the grease leaks out, and then you need new bearings

13. This will be a shaft driven deck with dual match belts.

I could go on and on about all the new innovations that are going into the Tedbrakes™ mowers most importantly the front brakes.

Stop a mower save a life.

Last edited by ted corriher; 09-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan89 View Post
1. Don't name it "Redneck mowers." If you do you will only be competing with dixie chopper, and most will think you're a joke. I see it all the time here in TN, and those businesses don't seem to stay around very long.

2. Copy the Toro Turboforce or Scag velocity deck.
3. Big hydro pumps. IMO Hydrogear brand pumps are twice the pumps as Eaton.
4. Don't put the skateboard grip tape on the foot deck, It gets dirty and is impossible to clean.
5. I like the idea of a OCDC from the factory like John Deere does now.
6. Also a Z-stand which Toro makes is a nice addition to a mower.
7. Make some sort of hose to drain the oil, I hate when manufacturers make it impossible to drain the oil out of a mower and oil goes everywhere.
8. I think the fuel tank under the seat is a good idea, and seems to be the standard now.

I like the idea, and will try to think of more things to add.
I agree with the name change. Bad Boy is bad enough. You lower your IQ and quality just with the name. It needs a name of a knife or blade (ie Excalibur) or something to do with speed or precision.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I didn't read every thread so I'm sure a lot of these ideas have already been stated.

MUST CUT NORTHERN THIN FESCUE AT SPEED, WET, AND CHOP CLIPPINGS FINE FOR GOOD DISCHARGE. Good luck with this. You hit this mark and you've got the holy grail. Then Mic it should cut anywhere
Keep it clean and simple like Super Z
Low center of gravity and still have rear approach angle for backing on a trailer. Low seat height and the rest of the machine (ie. air cleaner, ROPS when folded, etc.) must be lower and as narrow as possible to get in under tree branches.
Gravely seat system.
Hustler Flex forks or rubber suspension like BB. I think a guy could use the compressor to incorporate a air bag suspension all the way around too similar to BB but with air already available.
Gravely rubber isolated engine cradle
Hustler speed (single speed 15 mph is plenty) pumps and motors with front casters that will not shimmy at high speeds.
Must be balance well front to back so front end doesn't bounce off ground when hit a bump but still can hold a hill. This will help with control and deck bounce as well. As compact as possible (ie Lazer, 460) but long enough to be balance well (Super Z) for ride and handling
Sealed bearings, no zirks or one with plumbing to all needed areas like combines have. See Hustler belt deck tensioner.
Big diameter pulleys so easier on belts
Chain/spring idler adjusters so no tools required to adjust or service in the field like Hustler.
True park brake integrated into steering sticks like Hustler.
I don't care if tanks come off or fold out. Shouldn't need to swing tanks out unless it needs service all the time and then I don't need a problem mower anyway. I also fill at the station on the trailer so removable tanks may be nice but not as big a deal. Encore uses an air chuck type connection for their fuel hose release. Tanks should act like fenders to keep mud etc. at bay to some extent. 14 gallons plus.
Try to keep weight down (pretty impossible I know)
No anti skid tape
Large hand grips with good vibration isolating rubber.
Hr meter with tach, timer, and reminders.
Lights
Power Chute dischage
Easy on off bagger see Husqvarna PZ
Belt drive everything with easy replacement and protected from debris. One drive belt. One deck belt.
Clutch wiring protection
360 anti scalp wheels recessed in deck at every corner and front and rear center of deck.
Plenty of room in the cockpit
Must be able to see rear drive wheels and deck edges from seat.
No bolts or welds to catch grass under deck
Deck lift must be easy without causing deck to bounce when hitting bumps. Should be made so no matter what cut height your at your leg can be on pedal comfortably and not making contact with steering stick or too out to reach. Wonder if a ratchet system would work so pedal would have the same throw no matter what height your set at. Lock out for transport lock
EFI
Hitch that works well with 2" hitch ball
Striper kit see Gravely 400 with a more substantial piece of rubber.
Tank change valve in easy reach
Oil drain thought out for drain and filter on both engine and hydros so not such a pain to access and such a mess to clean up.
Plenty adjustment in seat and steering sticks. Possible pedal adjustment as well.
Deal direct with no distributors like LT Rich. Talk to Andy for tips
Front end needs to be JRCO dethatch rake exceptable
No rattles
When building frame keep in mind where grass will collect especially around pumps and motors so heat build up is not a problem.
Needs to look cool. Nice classy metal decals or lazer cut verbiage where possible. Like early Super Z without going cheesy like BB redneck wing. Chrome wheels and rear bumper?
Good sounding muffler placed out of the way for bagger but not burning grass. Maybe out of SS!
I'd also be happy to offer free R&D if needed when you get there!! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will be at gie.....hope to meet u and see a mower!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the mulch on demand system.

The other thing would be the ability to change decks.

Why buy a 36" for back yards and a 60" when you can just switch decks. The other thing this will allow you to do is make a rough cut deck. Brush cutters are to expensive for limited use.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea, don't like the name. Xtreme sounds much much better. Pretty much everything has been mentioned that I would like to see in a new line of mowers. I would say start with the build of a Scag and only improve from there.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boy o boy, looks like the truth has been deleted on this thread.

TC, since this will be the best mower i've seen (to use your words), what kind of service level will be guaranteed?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of the ZTR

Personally, I don't like the rutting/spinning and handling of a full on ZTR.

If you want to be innovative......

Go an articulating mower with speed and comfort. To me, they give you the best of all world. Too bad the Husqvarna's couldn't quit grab a market share to keep offering an articulating mower.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.