Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sit it low and make it wide as possible, make it easy to clean and maintain, have several different deck sizes with interchangable deck options, a rear pto, make it where you can actually tow things with it, a 12v outlet to run a fan or a phone charger or anything of that nature, reinforced front forks, all led lighting, digital guages with warning lights, instead of a suspension seat how about an air seat like semi trucks have, blinking amber safety lights on the rops or even on the mower for mowing high traffic areas, and your signature feature for a redneck mower should be dual exhaust with the option of exhaust stacks on the diesel models
Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1). name:
redneck - good name but can complicate beginning of new project

why don't have all of it? - most of the names you have in mind?
it's not going to be only one single mower - right?
so - "redneck project" , "redneck line" - "rock 60'', brick, solid etc
solid.Period. Best.Perion. NoNonsence. redneck mowerProject...

not gonna be one one mower and name anyway right? like Redneck1, redneck2... will be different series, types...
- this way you can have it all

2). as you can see - already formed two different types of demand :
1. stripped to the bone, light, maneuverable, high speed
2. extra heavy duty, versatile, high torque
racer and puller (and they don't want to compromise : )))

3). anyway, name of few:
- suspension - is a must (for all types);
- rops -only optional : )))))
- performance like Hustler, components built like exmark
- deck - adjustable baffles and lip;
- more- later : ))))))

Last edited by demhustler; 01-09-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

weight-wise it would be nearly impossible to achieve all demands in one machine;
crews running not just one mower - all types needed - you can find good use for horse and for mule (i would take horse, other guy - mule, if i need mule, i'll switch ...: ))))
---------------
decks hanging on chains attached with bolts, which getting loose, snaps - no reason not to have it on pins instead of bolts (example -grasshopper, encor) - easy to take off/on - for switching, access, maintenance, etc
Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

deck - don't let it jump on the bumps and shake - light springs hold it down plus shocks; don't let it lock up by itself in travel-position (exmark),
lock/unlock- by operator (like husqvarna)

instead of all weight on front lip - rigid reinforced spindle area, on front lip -bumper, impact absorbing light crush structure, easy replaceable;

-------
one (bigger) tank on the center - for low polar moment(moment of inertia), maneuverability, balance
motors close to middle with shafts to the wheel - lowers unsuspended weight and saves motors - in the hubs they have really hard life (rare mower didn't got pump, motor or both replaced)
Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

to be better than other - specs should be better

speed - at least 18.5 mph (toro has one -18mph transport)
cut speed - 10 -12 solid; all the rest - depends of ground conditions and terrain
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is there any problem with exmark or toro belts performance? all maintenance - just replace it once a year;
not for all areas and mowers really necessary pto shaft - so, some models can have shaft and extra torque; other - belt and light (better short, not mule belts);
heavy torque machines can use upper/lower pto gears (more torque on the blades) for heavy grass: simple double pulley - one a bit bigger; would take second to throw belt from one to another)

Last edited by demhustler; 01-09-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, that name doesn't convey a sense of quality or professionalism. More, it strikes me as a fly-by-night joke of a company. I get the same first impression from names like Bad Boy. Perhaps it's just me, but I am buying a new Z in a couple months.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My biggest complaint is at higher speeds the ride is so bumpy that the deck
literally goes to floating and never settles back down, resulting in a bad cut.

It's not that I have to mow at 25 mph but the deck is hung by chains from the frame as part of the
design so the only thing that holds the deck in place is gravity, which also allows the deck to get
knocked around when riding over bumps.

The only time the deck NEEDS to float is when either an anti-scalp wheel or the
relationship of the front casters to the rear part of the frame makes it do that...

The chains on every mower merely dictate the limit on the down travel, there is nothing preventing
the deck from traveling upwards on its own, such as when a bump knocks it around.

As for how to fix this I could not tell you, perhaps a system involving loaded springs in addition to the lengths of chain?

Last edited by topsites; 01-09-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, I'm really surprised how many posters have a problem with "Redneck" and not with "Shithouse." I'm much more put off by shithouse. Don't matter to me what it's built out of, a shithouse still stinks! Like my local NH dealer always says, "Nothing smells like a John."

I care more about how the damn thing is built, what it can do, how well it does it, and dealer support than I do about the name. If it met all my personal criteria, and surpassed the competitions' models price and performance, it could be called "Flamming Gay Mowers," and I'd still buy it.

As far as ideas, as one post suggested, snow handling capabilities would be great. A two stage blower would be really nice, especially right now. Quick-tach/change between the two would be a must.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

This is awesome. I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your input. Keep them coming!