Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ted, everybody would love to have rather redneck's mower or tool than pusy stuff - but not every redneck would love to wear t-shirt with "redneck" written on it : )))) ....

p.s. t-shirts: "redneck" 4 managers and "hillbilly " 4 employees
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Have you ever pointed a zero turn mower downhill? I would put them as an option if nothing else. Some of us have hills that the Ted brakes would be a huge help safety wise.
Yeah, Ive read all the info and opinions on the ted brakes for ZTRs, look at other hydro controlled equipment, like skid steers, loaders, etc. they do not have brakes, why, because they are hydraulically controlled and can be stopped by simply stopping the drive system? Yes hills are dangerous, but you dont point a ZTR downhill in the first place! As Ive said many times, You cant fix stupid in some people. There has to be some point where people must use their common sense, and if they lack any, well, Im sure theres a reason for that to?!!! Whats next, requiring everyone who uses ZTRs to wear helmets and padding?!! It is really quite simple though: A machine that is hydraulically controlled does not need a brake system. And I doubt simply braking those tiny front caster wheels will not do much to stop a 1200lb ZTR if its headed full speed down hill?! Maybe we need a ejector seat instead, just bail out of a dangerous situation. Nothing against the guy who thought of these brakes though, Im sure some people will buy and use them, but they will never put them on mass produced mowers.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Yeah, Ive read all the info and opinions on the ted brakes for ZTRs, look at other hydro controlled equipment, like skid steers, loaders, etc. they do not have brakes, why, because they are hydraulically controlled and can be stopped by simply stopping the drive system? Yes hills are dangerous, but you dont point a ZTR downhill in the first place! As Ive said many times, You cant fix stupid in some people. There has to be some point where people must use their common sense, and if they lack any, well, Im sure theres a reason for that to?!!! Whats next, requiring everyone who uses ZTRs to wear helmets and padding?!! It is really quite simple though: A machine that is hydraulically controlled does not need a brake system. And I doubt simply braking those tiny front caster wheels will not do much to stop a 1200lb ZTR if its headed full speed down hill?! Maybe we need a ejector seat instead, just bail out of a dangerous situation. Nothing against the guy who thought of these brakes though, Im sure some people will buy and use them, but they will never put them on mass produced mowers.

there is a video with these brakes being used. They work well. But not something i would buy

SOLO OPERATION
Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted, don't know if you've seen this, or if it was brought up yet:

Toro PolarTrac System
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put a motor on it that will last more then 1200 hrs like most out there that fail or need rebuilt
make it light so it dont sink on the lawn
put a audible tilt meter on it so it warns u when you go to far
optional leaf plow hook up?????????
Tie down points
Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Premium industrial engines not/rarely used in the green industry:
- Robin Subaru 25hp gas V-twin
- Kubota 3cyl gas or diesel
- Yanmar compact 3cyl diesel
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of having 2 separate grass collection systems (bag and dump), have a bag collection system with an insert that transforms it into a dumping system (like Humboldt).

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleedge View Post
Instead of having 2 separate grass collection systems (bag and dump), have a bag collection system with an insert that transforms it into a dumping system (like Humboldt).
Has to have a "dump from the seat" hopper for on site dumping.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

make a hybrid with a small gas motor that powers a generator that makes dc/ac power. Which then is used for dc/ac motors for the deck and wheels. less pollution and better power to speed ratio.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wish they would use Yanmar 3 cyl engines in this industry more, they are great engines and will easily see 10K hours if well taken care of! I just re-built a 3cyl, 30 hp Yanmar from a old Gravely outfront mower, still trying to figure out what to do with it? I may try to mount it on my older turf tracer if I can make it fit and work!