Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

new business in va

well as of last year i have been thinking of started a lawn care business. i have a few basic lawn equipment like push mower, riding mower, weed eater, rakes ect...... I had 5 or 6 jobs last summer no thinks to the flyers i made up, but due to friends and family passing the word around, I was able to have 3 nice size lawn about an acre of land. im guess it was to much for them to cut themself. now its jan 2010 ill like to get started on making and pass out flyers soon cause ill like to get some spring cleaning in this year, and im thinking if i get out there early ill have somekinda base to stand on. so what ideas if any do you have for a new business in VA. any tips ill take any think here im on my last leg of income. so im happy and open to here what you have say
Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have any business cards yet? If money is tight, what I would do, is figure out what neighborhoods you would like to work in and then go door to door and introduce youeslf and then hand them a business card. It will require a lot of footwork, but it does get results.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i have my business cards its bout time for me to get some more, i have been making my own flyers, im thinking of getting someone to make me some postcards and then get a few people to walk around and put them on some doors, then i have family that works for the postoffice so im goin to see if they some some kind of discount rate on bulk mail that i might be able to do
Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Mailing the postcards is ok, but it is awfully expensive if you do any volume and when it comes to handing out cards and flyers you have to do volume to see any results. I am going to hire a few people to go around and do the doorhangers and postcards/flyers for me this year. I think that will be cheaper than mailing, even with the bulk discount. Last year, I delivered over 1000 flyers and then mailed another 500. I received 14 calls. Provided 8 estimates and received 1 customer, that only needed a mowing while he went on vacation and is "regular lawnboy" was on vacation that same week. I see from reading on this forum that you can expect anywhere from .05 to maybe 2 % return from flyers and postcards and such. So if you hand out 1000 flyers/postcards you can expect maybe 20 new customers but from my experience it does not work that way at all. So the best thing I can think of is pound the pavement as often as you can and talk to as many people as you can and I dont think that it is ever to early to start advertising
Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

ok ill do that and keep my eyes open for othere things that come around, but is there anyone out there that have a good advertising ideas for the newbies being that spring is coming.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

So your form Martinsville wich is about 4 hours from Richmond (where i live) so my question is do you get more call for NC or VA for a price quote. and when do you started your advertising.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I will hang about 3000 doorhangers in a week or so. That way when I go out and hand out postcards at the end of Feb. I am hoping the people will remember my door hangers and have me on their minds. I will also put a ad in the local paperat the same time at the end of Feb and then I will let that ad run for 3 weeks till the middle of March. I have budgeted 750.00 for advertising right before spring comes and I am hoping that it will gain me 20 plus customers. I think that most LCO's will tell you that anytime is a good time to advertise but you should do it BEFORE the time comes when the service is needed , ie. fall cleanup or aeration.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to answer the question about NC. I have not got any calls from North Carolina. The state line is only 15 minutes away and I have thought about trying to move down their, but I want to get a tighter hold on my local area. I have not advertised in Nc either.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheapest way to get more work is to ask more friends and family the way you did to get the 6 you have. Ask clients to refer their friends and family too. Meet more people and you have a bigger pool of friends.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Neighbor!!!!

I am in Chatham VA, just wanted to say hello!!!!!!!!!