Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet View Post
MOP vs. SOP. And the high salt content of MOP is a factor in water retention of the turf blades.
This is true. If you are a traditional Lesco user you will find the fertilizers labeled as such when you use online to pull ahead of time.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Michael:
I use that which works. Often, I spread huge amounts of cow manure from bags on St. Augustine. St. Augustine loves nitrogen. Even though cow manure is cold compared to sheep or horse manure, that is all that I can get. Compost would be great were it available. The only problem is getting enough to satisfy the need for nitrogen. Then there is the need for potassium--I know of no organic means of providing this to turf other than the correct source for specific turfs. St. Augustine will tolerate more chlorine than centipede. Centipede can be poisoned with common fertilize that has a chlorine derived potassium source. And is by most through a slowly declining thinning process.

So my program is mostly chemical with high respect to trees and ornamentals.
Sandy soil presents a problem with heavy equipment making ruts in the turf so I've elected to use a hand boom attached to my skid that I have mounted on a small wagon that I can move easily on the pavements. Those huge mowers with skinny tires are not good for lawns. I urge clients to pick up their grass clippings during the fungus season. Most organic lesson say to fine clip them to go back to the soil--I've found this a problem in promoting fungus...or building up thatch. Just another personal issue and don't want to debate whether it's right or wrong--"Do that which works"
Anyway, it would be good for you to keep us posted
I agree with my planting on ornamentals and trees - not sure that I am willing to switch on them yet. Asian scale was battled like all hell broke lose again this year like every year since we moved here - I have seen others trying to battle with the organic oils etc and watched them lose. The other issue would be the aphids that attack my.
On the manure - any issues with smell on that? That would be a concern for my lawn - I have no doubt it would provide the green, but my thoughts about corn meal are for the fungal benefits. Check this article link out I found here on the site - I think Krill put it up in another thread, but hell it may have been someone else. ARTICLE

Working on pulling out my soil report now to give those that were interested in the character of my soil to help me a little more insight.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks I have been looking for that article, I think your right Kiril posted that
What got me was how effective poultry litter compost was for controling fungal disease
good article thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Soil Test

OK - Sound like some of you have questions on the soil conditions in order to help with the program - follow this link and look below the picture of the lawn and you will find my soil test. LINK

Please note that this is what the soil is most likely under its natural conditions as before this the soil did not have anything done to it other than some light fert.
This DOES NOT represent the soil as of right now as all corrections recommended were made. Also a full application (full Bag) of Lesco's Iron Plus has been put on the turf as well as a additional 50 lb of tech mag.

As someone has asked - no there is not a issue with Ca

The main issues I planned on continuing to address while using a pure traditional program were following deficiencies
The Mg - K - B -Cu Mn and of course bring the Mg to K ratio to a more appropriate level. As you will see from the test those appeared to be the main isssues IMO. I would assume all of these could be addressed with organics Right.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

OK - this maybe a little harder than I have thought - Started looking for Whole Corn Meal at the farm stores here and am not able to find! Tried doing a search for Chicken Litter Compost or any compost here and have not had any luck finding. This is going to be a little bit more complicated than I thought.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Thanks I have been looking for that article, I think your right Kiril posted that
What got me was how effective poultry litter compost was for controling fungal disease
good article thanks
I see Kiril's link showed poultry litter compost as being effective for suppressing fungal diseases but how about chicken manure that has been dehydrated or heated?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
I see Kiril's link showed poultry litter compost as being effective for suppressing fungal diseases but how about chicken manure that has been dehydrated or heated?
I am interested in the same question! However my main concern now is where I am going to find the actual organics I need, just priced Corn meal at the store tonight, can not say that it would be a cheap use to buy from the store.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I am interested in the same question! However my main concern now is where I am going to find the actual organics I need, just priced Corn meal at the store tonight, can not say that it would be a cheap use to buy from the store.
Find some horses, then ask where they get their food.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Nutrient PLUS Nature Pure 4-4-2 http://www.nutrientsplus.com/npcus1/pdf/NaturePure.pdf. Litter free, properly composted without driers, non-Pasteurized, biologically active. Apply at 10lbs/k.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Michael,
We will be exhibiting at the STMA (Sports Turf Managers Association) show in Orlando next week, you should come by and say hi

it is at the Disney’s Coronado Springs Jan 14 & 15