Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
If it is not processed correctly it can cause damage to your animals and human lungs with a fungus called Histoplasmosis. If not caught early it will cause death.
You could say the same thing about breathing the air in your house.
I've been using compost with turkey crap for over 15 years without any problems.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your lucky. But is it really worth the chance. With your clients animals health and their health. Read about it and you'll find out it's easy to catch. But go ahead and stick your head in the poo and breath.
I don't believe too much in looking back. If you've done well, you're too inclined to become smug. If you've done poorly, you're inclined to become discouraged. Keep looking ahead - yesterday's done with - think about today and tomorrow. - George S. May
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
for corn meal try http://www.amberglenfeeddepot.com/ they are in Pinellas Park
You rock - thanks so much will give them a call this morning.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
~ 35 mins from you

Orlando Live Poultry
2499 Regent Street
Orlando, FL 32804-4205
Phone: (407) 532-2260
Thanks Kiril - will check this out too -

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
I know what you mean, I get all worked up when I am talking to anyone about it
Here is the STMA site with all of the details
http://www.stma.org/
Might be able to visit with you after all - just dropped Jr. off at school and it is 35 degrees at 9:00 in the morning. Doubt my services will be needed this week!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your lucky. But is it really worth the chance. With your clients animals health and their health. Read about it and you'll find out it's easy to catch. But go ahead and stick your head in the poo and breath.
Really dude .... don't you think you are being a bit paranoid?
Given the fungus is soil borne as well, I guess everyone should hardscape their yards?
Perhaps you should also stop fertilizing with nitrogen too, since that also increases the likelihood of infection.

Heck, if you want to be paranoid about fungal/mold infection risks, I can provide you with ample material that will essentially cause you to conclude the only safe place to exist is in a hermetically sealed room.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
~ 35 mins from you

Orlando Live Poultry
2499 Regent Street
Orlando, FL 32804-4205
Phone: (407) 532-2260
This one is a bust - they do not sell the litter compost - I appreciate the effort Kiril

Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This one is a bust - they do not sell the litter compost - I appreciate the effort Kiril
Oh well. Did you ask them what they do with their broiler litter or if they know of anyone who sells composted poultry litter?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Oh well. Did you ask them what they do with their broiler litter or if they know of anyone who sells composted poultry litter?
Kiril,

I called the local county ext. and am waiting for one of the livestock guys to give me a call back. I think I am going to start out with a yard of compost per k first and see how that goes Hopefully I will have a chicken litter source by the time March gets here, I would like to get down before the wet/fungus season kicks off here.
I saw a post you made of what I think was your turf in a compost thread. Is that SA that you have? If so mind giving me some insight on what you are doing and what you have found about SA and using Organics? I know the soil types will be different but more how many apps of what you are doing to get the SA its N?
How do you figure out how much N you are really putting down when you are putting Compost and Litter? Insight

Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compost available to you? Search for links to posts from treegal1 and grohorganic. They are south FL but deal in the same types of soils you do and they basically do multiple compost top dressing apps and compost tea apps and address issues if they arise. But compost is the main stay in their op. Pretty much the same as any soil. Biology, minerals and humus - compost has all of these ingredients and organic matter.