Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can run it through a chipper for a few reasons.. You the all knowing gravel rat does not know this?? I am certainly shocked! There is paper mills that use chips, as well as biofuel. We have a few biofuel plants here that burn chips..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Biomass is big here, look at the bug damage on Dirtmans logs, and big ones are just plain pallet grade logs. Sometimes btter to chip than pay landowner for low grade logs, depending on market conditions. Prices around here are about $30-6 per ton for chips. When diesel was $1 gallon....the chips were just blown on the landing, not any more. Biomass harvesting and logging go hand and hand around here. We had a 36" chipper here ....amazing supper hp eating giant trees. On one cut we used a track machine....most shears around here are tracks....TimberPro is a specialty machine.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Chips around here don't get you any money because mills can get hog fuel for nothing why buy chips. Logs are worth more for lumber than anything you can sell logs for firewood more than you get for chips.

Any of the tree services has to pay to get rid of chips unless they find somebody to take it.

If that log Chris was sitting on was a Douglas fir log it would be worth 5 grand as a saw log.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All trash evergreen is chipped here, firewood sometimes graded out depending on job setup and volume production. All paper pulp here is tree lenght, no chips at all...all to the power plant where tax credits for renewable fuel make coal less competitive. Chips are big time around here.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Around here it costs the loggers money to deal with pulp/chip grade wood its fell and left in the bush you take a loss if you haul it out. I forget the value but for the amount of money you get from a 30 ton truck load it will not even pay for the trucking.

With lumber mills cut so much wood all the bark (hog fuel) is taken off the trees there is cubic millions worth of hog fuel it sells real cheap its almost free. Hog fuel burns twice as hot as chips because its ground up tree bark and it doesn't need to be dried like chips.

Any paper grade chips have to be hemlock or white wood species. With paper prices so low it isn't high enough to pay the logging companies to haul pulp grade lumber out of the bush. The paper mills don't have enough fiber to make paper.

The US gov't is subsidizing USA paper mills because they can't compete in the global market because you guys have to chip logs for steam to produce paper. So if the US gov't wasn't subsidizing the pulp and paper industry your mills in the USA would have shut down long ago. So your guys tax money is supporting mills to keep jobs but they are not profitable.

Because the USA paper market is subsidized it has killed the market for Canadian paper. The Canadian paper producers don't get subsidized they don't need to be because the mills are efficient but they can't sell the paper as cheap as it is in the USA. So any paper you write on your tax money is paying for just to keep jobs going in the USA.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some interesting claims from GR......since I AM DRINKING SOME BEER..possibly a late night.......I will have to wait to comment.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It is what I have been told by the people in the paper industry.

Have a read

www.vancouversun.com/technology/Black+liquor+weirdness+drips+onto+pulp+paper+industry/1707906/story.html

More reading

www.vancouversun.com/business/Canada+fights+back+over+black+liquor+pulp+paper/1617370/story.html

More

www.glgroup.com/News/Update-on-black-liquor-tax-credit-40090.html
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

curtisfarmer

Thanks for the photos and keep posting What part of NH are you from or have been working. I myself work the lakes area.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Some interesting claims from GR......since I AM DRINKING SOME BEER..possibly a late night.......I will have to wait to comment.
Don't kill a good buzz on this "GR" ankle bitter
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I just can't beleive you guys get more money for chips than lumber. You would see people cry grinding up logs that could be used for other uses.

It doesn't matter if it has bug holes that adds character when your making custom furniture wood.