Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

eclosed trailer vs. utility trailer

this is my second year in the lawn care business and am looking to upgrade to a new trailer so i wanted to know what you guys thinks is the best i am considering a 6x10 enclosed trailer or just a normal utility trailer. thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would get something bigger than a 10ft. that way you can grow into it, depending on how big you plan on getting. A 14 or 16ft would be better to start with. I have always used open trailers, but I am now thinking the enclosed types would be better, that way your equipment is always protected, and you can leave it loaded all the time, but enclosed trailers are much more money up front, unless you find a cheap used one. Also I think it is harrder to learn to back up an enclosed versus an open trailer, because you are forced to use your mirrors, something I cannot do yet! I have to turn around and look at the trailer while I am steering it backwards?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Both are good.

Open are faster to work out of, equipment stays cooler, and are ussually lighter.

Enclosed are safer, can be a moving advertising billboard, protected from weather and walk by thieves, and you can piss inside them.

The bigger the trailer...the easier it is to back up. I would go 16ft, or 18ft. 14's are a tad bit too small. Need room to grow.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
Enclosed are safer, can be a moving advertising billboard, protected from weather and walk by thieves, and you can piss inside them.
hahaha, that's ******' hilarious...very true though

two things to consider...

1. Theft...is this an issue in your area?

2. Storage...would you have to unload a utility trailer every night?

personally theft is not an issue in my area and we back our trailer into a building when we are done, therefore i like utility trailers...i actually would never even consider an enclosed

they have their place though, like mentioned above it is great advertising...
Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

An open trailer is going to be way way more versatile, especially if you get one with sides. Around here a pretty standard landscape trailer is a 16' tandem axle with 4' expanded metal sides. With an open trailer you can use it for mowing, landscaping, mulch, debris hauling, etc. But with an enclosed you are very limited on what you can use it for. Open's are also less expensive, that is another thing to consider. Personally, I think open trailers are the way to go.
Lesco application equipment

Having employees that enjoy what they are doing and care about quality is what makes happy customers.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScape View Post
Both are good.

Open are faster to work out of, equipment stays cooler, and are ussually lighter.

The bigger the trailer...the easier it is to back up. I would go 16ft, or 18ft. 14's are a tad bit too small. Need room to grow.
i second this plus it gives you a place to go when theres one of those pop up thunderstorms it can also be a changing room to be honest if you get the enclosed trailer with the top vents you can open and close they work pretty well on keeping things cool but make sure to get one with a ramp door and a side door also
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed = safety and storage!
Open trailers offer alot more versitillity, debree removal, hauling and the list is endless!!! I love both of mine @ different parts of the year. As for the equipment getting to hot, not on mine I have both the roof vent and side vents. I have no build up of gas fumes or heat in trailer because of travel(air gets pushed thru from side vents).
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we use an open trailer.....

we store our equipment in our sheds when not in use and leave them on the trailer overnight between work days
Bobcat Hydro 15/36
F250 diesel and 12' trailer
various other tools
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use my open trailer for hauling debris all the time, and an enclosed would not be good for that, but it really is best to have both, or at least have an open trailer for the times when you have to haul tree crap or bushes, mulch or dirt,etc. Plus I dont really like the MPG with an enclosed, thats a big thing to consider too! Plus in an enclosed you can mount a small work bench, great spot to work on stuff in the field, Hey, if you get a big enough enclosed trailer, you could make the front portion a small living quarters with a bed! That way, you can just spend the night wherever you leave off the day before, then your ready to go the next morning!! I like the thingn mentioned above about a place to piss!!! I usually find some woods to sneak back into if I cant wait to get to gas station!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been using a 20ft enclosed for about 15 years. Enough room to haul all equipment and a pallet of mulch sometimes two if mowers are removed. Keeps equipment dry and out of sun. Place to go number 1 and 2 if need be. Makes it harder for thieves, however, if they want to break in they will. I have alarm installed in mine. Can load up a ton of plants and supplies for landscaping and have used it to move twice. With a curb side door and ramp in back you can access fairly quickly. Two negative things about a trailer this big is you are replacing tires often and you get bad gas mileage. It's like driving with a parachute behind you. If I buy another it will have a V-nose. Need to make sure your neighbors are OK about a large enclosed trailer next door and that you are not breaking any zoning laws. The larger the trailer the bigger the truck your need to pull it. I estimate between my trailer and equipment I am pulling at least 5500lbs. Takes a lot of power to get going and a long time to stop quickly. With an enclosed trailer you can utilize the space on the sides. Everything is stored on racks. The only thing on the floor of my trailer are my mowers, a small compresser,3500w generator and fuel tanks. The out side of trailer can be turned into a moving bill board for all your services.