Register free!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2 fert and weed questions?

ok i have 2 clients the first one my make pretty good coin off of as a full service account. He wants me to put out some 18-2-3 down next week and i told him its too cold to i do it, he wont listen and says it will be fine. Ok his he right or am i?

2nd my other client a 85 yr old spitfire bought some 0-0-8 Momentum Force and put it down yesterday after i edged and trimmed, now is he going to ruin his lawn so i can have a good later this month or so?

thanks dave
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't imagine that being that far south that you couldn't put down fertilizer anytime. Is there anything growing in the turf? and if not, when will it start?

How would broadleaf herbicide w/potassium ruin a lawn?

One thing I've learned over time is that what you think you know is not what actually needs to be known. The customer is always right and sometimes he is.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I couldn't imagine that being that far south that you couldn't put down fertilizer anytime. Is there anything growing in the turf? and if not, when will it start?

How would broadleaf herbicide w/potassium ruin a lawn?

One thing I've learned over time is that what you think you know is not what actually needs to be known. The customer is always right and sometimes he is.
well for the last 4-5 days i have had frost on the lawn and truck, thats why im asking if the lawns dead/crispy fried.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Under those extreme weather conditions frostbite is a real concern--I wouldn't leave the house if I were you.

http://www.ergonomicspecialties.com/
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Under those extreme weather conditions frostbite is a real concern--I wouldn't leave the house if I were you.

http://www.ergonomicspecialties.com/
well no frost today, it was raining all day today but still 33*
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn View Post
ok i have 2 clients the first one my make pretty good coin off of as a full service account. He wants me to put out some 18-2-3 down next week and i told him its too cold to i do it, he wont listen and says it will be fine. Ok his he right or am i?

2nd my other client a 85 yr old spitfire bought some 0-0-8 Momentum Force and put it down yesterday after i edged and trimmed, now is he going to ruin his lawn so i can have a good later this month or so?

thanks dave
The grass is more than likely going to use very little of the N that you are going to put down since it is semi dormant to dormant. If you would of put it down maybe a month ago it may have helped defend against this cold front we have gotten.
If your client really wants to put down something this time of year maybe suggest something where the N is not going to just leach through and something that will help the turfs roots out in the spring. Suggest maybe this
KMAG this way at least you can tell him you are addressing the Mg deficiencies that are more than likely present in the soil again a test would be best. Explain to him that the Mg will help to turn his turf green as I am sure that is all that he is concerned about. Better yet, tell him if he is really wants to get the best bang for his buck, use the money he was going to put into fert and get a soil anyls.

On the second customer I do not see why you are saying he will kill his lawn. I am not familiar with Momentum force but the 0-0-8 from what I could tell online is just a potash product - essentially he is doing a good thing by providing a good structure for his roots when the grass start growing actively again. Help me understand what you are saying.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Last edited by Landscape Poet; 01-10-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I was in FL , it was near Gainesville. The grass was dormant during January and didn't look like it was coming back until Feb. I had to leave b4 I got to see spring come.
We had centipede, I think, and frost several times.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post

On the second customer I do not see why you are saying he will kill his lawn. I am not familiar with Momentum force but the 0-0-8 from what I could tell online is just a potash product - essentially he is doing a good thing by providing a good structure for his roots when the grass start growing actively again. Help me understand what you are saying.
its a weed and feed product
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn View Post

thanks dave
Assuming that your first customer has either St Augustine or Zoysia, by applying fert now he will give his lawn Brown/large patch fungus. He will spend lots of money combatting his new fungus problem later and replacing sod. Fungicides don't cure but prevent the spread to non effected areas/ act as a protectant and have a limited window of effectiveness. Turf is in a semi to dormant state anyway and won't be able to assimilate/uptake any of the nutrients. Some turf varieties just have poor winter color anyway. Any idea why he want to do this? As far as the second client, just be sure he applies a preemergent prior to Feb 15th or Valentine's day. Again the potassium won't be taken up since the freeze and dormant state. Keep in mind a lot of weeds also died along with damage to some potential weed seeds. Keep cutting the lawn during winter to prevent the weeds from developing seed heads or flowers. Fert label: 1st# N=nitrogen, 2nd# P= phosporous, 3rd# K= potassium(NPK).
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Assuming that your first customer has either St Augustine or Zoysia, by applying fert now he will give his lawn Brown/large patch fungus. He will spend lots of money combatting his new fungus problem later and replacing sod. Fungicides don't cure but prevent the spread to non effected areas/ act as a protectant and have a limited window of effectiveness. Turf is in a semi to dormant state anyway and won't be able to assimilate/uptake any of the nutrients. Some turf varieties just have poor winter color anyway. Any idea why he want to do this? As far as the second client, just be sure he applies a preemergent prior to Feb 15th or Valentine's day. Again the potassium won't be taken up since the freeze and dormant state. Keep in mind a lot of weeds also died along with damage to some potential weed seeds. Keep cutting the lawn during winter to prevent the weeds from developing seed heads or flowers. Fert label: 1st# N=nitrogen, 2nd# P= phosporous, 3rd# K= potassium(NPK).
both are bahia, sorry