Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=AWJ Services;3397592]I will also add that I often here people say Septic work is not rocket science but in reality people who say this just do not understand Septic Work. Sure the village idiot can dig the trench but that is not what this industry is. As a matter of fact half my sales calls are for premature failures installed during the building boom. If it was so easy then why do I see so many failures. As a Septic contractor you have to gain a sense of responsibility as your work is designed to last 20+ years.

Wow, that many failures?? Don't you guys down there have building inspectors? Our systems have to have a state aproved design (with PE stamp & spetic designer stamp) and then have inspections on key steps including materials to be used. Test pits are required, and a soil analysis done as well. I would say the village idiots must control your market, those failure #s should be no where near that high if its done right to the specifications of the design and inspected.

JR, your relationship with the BIs is paramount....not to let you off for shoddy work, but for the benefit of the doubt and scheduling issues among other handy things.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been around or involved in the installation of several systems and I've never seen an inspector on the job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats too bad...and disappointing knowing these things are not being inspected in some areas. With that much $ being spent....and the replacment cost sometimes being more....someone needs to ensure the quality of the system. And, it keeps the wolves and shiesters at bay knowing your work better pass muster. The guy that does all my trucking is big into spetic and he had a full leach (pipe and stone system) bed rejected cause the washed 1.5" stone had too many fines in it. With large aggregate piles, always ask for the stuff off the sides as that is where there is less fines. Around here, they are even looking at your stone, sand, and all the connections pipe wise too.

Sounds like I could go down south, get myself a hoe on Craigslist and be installing tomorrow
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow, that many failures?? Don't you guys down there have building inspectors? Our systems have to have a state aproved design (with PE stamp & spetic designer stamp) and then have inspections on key steps including materials to be used. Test pits are required, and a soil analysis done as well. I would say the village idiots must control your market, those failure #s should be no where near that high if its done right to the specifications of the design and inspected.

First you say it's not Rocket science then you post this?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Installing and repairing systems is not rocket science....but from the sounds of it (my post about having real regs that prevent exactly what you described AWJ, too many failed systems) it may look like it up here
I am suprised you don't have similiar regulations and safe guards to ensure proper construction of a potential source of pollution. Do you AWJ, I am just curious how its done down there? Some posts sound like there is no code, enforcement, or oversite??? It cannot be.

Septic "skills" require not much more than basic construction and dirt work knowledge and skills. And, JR take note,...it uses many common tools and equipment Using a laser, reading plans, paying attention to proper pipe bedding, compaction, site reclamation, drainage,ect. All of these should be readily available skills learned from experience by anyone in the dirt biz. Am I wrong, is it done differently elsewhere? I now we up here are pretty tight about soils and affluent disposal areas.....sounds like the wild west down south......septic next to well heads
Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Installing and repairing systems is not rocket science....but from the sounds of it (my post about having real regs that prevent exactly what you described AWJ, too many failed systems) it may look like it up here
I am suprised you don't have similiar regulations and safe guards to ensure proper construction of a potential source of pollution. Do you AWJ, I am just curious how its done down there? Some posts sound like there is no code, enforcement, or oversite??? It cannot be.

Septic "skills" require not much more than basic construction and dirt work knowledge and skills. And, JR take note,...it uses many common tools and equipment Using a laser, reading plans, paying attention to proper pipe bedding, compaction, site reclamation, drainage,ect. All of these should be readily available skills learned from experience by anyone in the dirt biz. Am I wrong, is it done differently elsewhere? I now we up here are pretty tight about soils and affluent disposal areas.....sounds like the wild west down south......septic next to well heads
Sounds like you have plenty of experience installing Septic systems. How long have you been doing them?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do installs, only repairs and a whole bunch of "site completions". I do have several friends and neighbors who do only installs and being on the planning board, I see about 120+ designs a year.

AWJ, what is up with the septic situation down there? I asked about regs and common practices. Is there something I left out or you guys do different down there?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
I don't do installs, only repairs and a whole bunch of "site completions". I do have several friends and neighbors who do only installs and being on the planning board, I see about 120+ designs a year.

AWJ, what is up with the septic situation down there? I asked about regs and common practices. Is there something I left out or you guys do different down there?

So you don't do installs.

There where thousands of new systems a month going in here in metro area during the building boom. Thats not counting repairs. How many are installed a month in your area? How many systems do you have in your state. Whats the concentration on your systems per acre. What credentials do your soil scientists have?
Does an engineer design your systems?
Whats a PE stamp?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

AWJ, too many ?s too fast. I do not know the broad figures you are asking, but I did mention the # going in a small town like mine...so extrapolate that I guess to get a broad idea. We too have had a huge boom, and down in MA where my mom lives....so does the the dreaded Title 5 act which creates crazy hump systems in peoples yards cause the water table is so high. I am talking humps with lolipop vent pipes in the front lawn HIGHER than the 1st floor window. A PE stamp is a prof. engineer with a registered & #ed stamp, a soil scientist is just that, akin to a surveyor, just specific to soil types and wetlands ect. For our Affluent Disposal Area, you need 4K sq' per 2 acres dry delineated upland. Test pits required, with as built if not located properly. This is the zoning requirements for most towns, and the state has the specific soil based rates of perc. and sizing specs for each lot.

What is it like down there, I havn't heard any details from anyone here what its like elsewhere?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Where is it if you do not mind?
You can email me if you like.
Zbates5@gmail.com
I'd tell you but I've no idea on the actual location. At this point we are just in a very, very preliminary discussion. He called me to discuss a few things, then called me back about a week later and gave me info to do some preliminary pricing for various bldg densities and assuming the worst GA regs on the drip.