Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Your talking a 100K+ investment so it better be a pretty good contract.
Yeah, make sure you got a good contract set before you make a mistake. I hate for them to run out of $$$ and you end up getting stuck with the payments.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Would there be any other work that you could use this machine on if you would buy Jr.?
Could you use it for any of the other brush work you have been doing or the pool stuff or are you out of all that stuff now?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Well Junior, you finally asked a question I can help with..
You know about the learning curve for mulching and that you need quite a bit of support for one.

To answer question number one, you could mulch ALOT of small material in a day with either machine you mentioned especially in cooler weather. If they are only concerned with knockdown and you aren't backdragging/re-mulching, then it's blow and go on 3-4" material.

As for a machine? I would get as much hp as you can afford. If you buy, you are stuck with it..when work slows so you would want to commit. T320 and mulcher is about 12,500 lbs. You would need a large transfer tank because you will only get 4-5 hrs at full throttle on high flow between fill-ups. You will need an air compressor and long handled blow gun and a couple of other things.

If you get the Bobcat with Bobcat mulcher, it will most likely have the forestry production kit which adds even more weight. I don't like it.
If you get a used machine that isn't set up, you will need lexan, no if's and's or but's if you want to be safe. I know where to get Lexan to exactly fit G and K series doors.

Hope this helps.
The forestry package is what has been worrying me. Sounds like I dont really need it.

And I've already told him we'll need a fuel tank, air compressor and some hand tools..

And when I talked about a machine, I was thinking of finding a decent T300 and just go from there for the attachments..

As of now, we are renting, no if ands or buts. Way to much to risk by just buying a machine right off the bat. But our expenses per week will be freakin horrible renting, thats why I'd like to get some work lined up and find a used machine and go from there.. Sorry a new machine came across as an option because its definetly not. Especially in our position, I just wanted yalls opinion..

Thats just my idea though, I dont wanna really get involved with this, its Dads deal. I am just here to do what he asks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
I'll add alittle. The others gave good advice, I'll try to tie it together alittle better. Yes a large skid steer can be productive. But you have to also look at how much small material you will be engaging at once. 1-2 4" trees are easy, 4+ 4" at one time will bog a head. So the density is inportant to look as well as the lay of the terrain (hills etc.)
Also most will not rent or lease mulchers so a more realistic route would be purchase the head and then you can rent or lease a high flow skid steer alone.
And lastley I'll throw this in a high production head will go along way. Both on the tractor and production. Hint Hint
could you or yellow give an acreage rate? Just a guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
dont be a tool
help your old man out
I am helping, I am not going to work my ass off or do more than what I am asked like I would've before..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
Would there be any other work that you could use this machine on if you would buy Jr.?
Could you use it for any of the other brush work you have been doing or the pool stuff or are you out of all that stuff now?
I am sure I could find the work, especially this time of the year with all the people I know that are wanting things to done on there hunt clubs..

But I dont know, Dad called the guy Friday and no answer. I'll see if he calls again Monday, that'll show how serious he is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind you are talking seriuos money....someone say $100K here? Think about the "other" alternatives to what this money could do. ROI analysis is key at this juncture. For that $ you could buy or start 2 completely different businesses, even 2 non-cyclical ones so when 1 is down, the other is up, which may produce more than what you are contemplating. I am in now way steering you away from what your are discussing cause I know NOTHING about that business. As someone who runs 3 diffferent businesses that are completely non-related and a corporate finance refugee, what I am saying is look at all your options, costs, and potnetial leverage (meaning get the most for $ invested against fixed costs) for what you could ALSO do with that $. Being a small business person, I look at every $ to see where it is BEST spent. I know someone who bought a laundry mat for under $50K, and he makes close to a decent wage with that investment. You could do 2 small businesses with your nut you may be facing...and probably do alright. Diversify young man, betting on 1 specific service sounds iffy with it entailing high upfont costs, high operating costs, and a dedicated machine.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
Keep in mind you are talking seriuos money....someone say $100K here? Think about the "other" alternatives to what this money could do. ROI analysis is key at this juncture. For that $ you could buy or start 2 completely different businesses, even 2 non-cyclical ones so when 1 is down, the other is up, which may produce more than what you are contemplating. I am in now way steering you away from what your are discussing cause I know NOTHING about that business. As someone who runs 3 diffferent businesses that are completely non-related and a corporate finance refugee, what I am saying is look at all your options, costs, and potnetial leverage (meaning get the most for $ invested against fixed costs) for what you could ALSO do with that $. Being a small business person, I look at every $ to see where it is BEST spent. I know someone who bought a laundry mat for under $50K, and he makes close to a decent wage with that investment. You could do 2 small businesses with your nut you may be facing...and probably do alright. Diversify young man, betting on 1 specific service sounds iffy with it entailing high upfont costs, high operating costs, and a dedicated machine.
You obviously know nothing about our situation..

We've got no money to invest in this, other than what we've got in the bank which would probably cover the small stuff(fuel tank, tool box, air compressor)

We dont have $50k to invest and as most know I am not looking for a biz for the money. I am in a job right now because I needed the money and a back up plan that I am beginning to realize I freakin hate! And I dont wanna do it again, no matter how bad my last job sucked atleast I liked the work..

All we've got to really invest is our livelyhood. We arent going into this because we need the money, atleast I am not. I am doing it because its what I wanna do with my life, its what I love to do. In no way do I hate to get up in the morning to go work for myself, but I dread going to my current job because its boring as hell and I frankly, I kinda suck at it..

Dad is doing it, well just because he wants to see me go somewhere with my life and he loves running equipment, its what he's done for years..

And me and Dad talked about it, if we can get this work and get a machine, start diversifying ourselves. That is kinda what killed his business years ago, having all his eggs in one basket so to say.

Btw, buying a CTL with a fecon head isnt a dedicated machine. If we bought a Super Trak, that'd be a dedicated machine..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck Juinor, Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and you know what you want. Im sure you guys can pull it off. The difference between the ones who fail and the ones who suceed is the failures just gave up. Always keep pushing and eventually you will get rewarded.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCsouth View Post
I'll add alittle. The others gave good advice, I'll try to tie it together alittle better. Yes a large skid steer can be productive. But you have to also look at how much small material you will be engaging at once. 1-2 4" trees are easy, 4+ 4" at one time will bog a head. So the density is inportant to look as well as the lay of the terrain (hills etc.)
Also most will not rent or lease mulchers so a more realistic route would be purchase the head and then you can rent or lease a high flow skid steer alone.
And lastley I'll throw this in a high production head will go along way. Both on the tractor and production. Hint Hint
you may not likely find a rental machine designed to be in the woods, ie., set up with Lexan, muffler guards, light guards, etc. I know some rental departments specifiy no tree clearing with rental machines. You may be able to buy a regular door and get a lexan insert for it and swap it on the rental. Get the damage waiver!

Oh, production rates vary with density, terrain, tree type, and time of year. Winter is a great time of year because a lot of trees have no leaves and you can see in the woods better. It just depends. I never guarantee any type of production rate but can get 1-2 AC/day on average in medium thick material. Just depends! So much is dependent on the variables I listed. I have gotten only 1/2 AC/day with an XPS cat and mulcher and as far as 7 ac/day with same machine.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 01-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
you may not likely find a rental machine designed to be in the woods, ie., set up with Lexan, muffler guards, light guards, etc. I know some rental departments specifiy no tree clearing with rental machines.
Not here.. Bobcat is renting me one, he already has one on the yard ready to go when Dad talked him last Tuesday.. T320 set up just like Andrews..

Quote:

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds great saying this is what you want to do...because it is great...just pay attention to the details and make sure you make the right decision. You need to remove the emotions from the equtaion and crunch the $#s....other wise Bobcat of wherever will be at your next job to take your CTL away....boombiddybyebye

I know this thread is just another way for you justify a Kubota TLB so you can truely be diversified I know your forestry head can do everything for sure....for mulching.....but surely you'll need more to stay diversified.

You are talking real $, make sure you make the right decision the 1st time.......or we will be seeing you on IronPlanet
Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Not here.. Bobcat is renting me one, he already has one on the yard ready to go when Dad talked him last Tuesday.. T320 set up just like Andrews..
that would be a sweet way to go.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing