The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
that would be a sweet way to go.
Yeah, to the tune of $2800 a week..

And thanks Yellow, that was Dads biggest question.. I'll tell him just what you said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Junior,

Sorry for not joining in sooner- been away having a life for once!

In terms of production, Yellowdog's numbers look pretty good. (He was/is one of my main mentors for this work on LS so I'd trust him). Just remember, terrain and material density are the deciding factors on how much terrain you can cover in a day. DCSouth also made a good comment about the type and density of material that you are engaging and how it affects your production.

Even though it's $2800/wk, it would be safer to go the rental route than commit to a purchase (as I'm sure you know). If you two are serious about the business, get the tools, rent the machine, and push like heck during the whole process to get more work for the machine to maybe line up enough work to justify something other than renting. As someone else mentioned, state work is notoriously fickle as budgets can dry up without warning leaving contractors hanging. The hunting clubs could be a good source of work as well.

Oh ya, definitely go with at least the polycarbonate door, if not the whole forestry package. After starting to train some potential employees on the machine recently, I highly recommend as much protection as you can get for yourself and the machine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Hey Junior,

Sorry for not joining in sooner- been away having a life for once!

In terms of production, Yellowdog's numbers look pretty good. (He was/is one of my main mentors for this work on LS so I'd trust him). Just remember, terrain and material density are the deciding factors on how much terrain you can cover in a day. DCSouth also made a good comment about the type and density of material that you are engaging and how it affects your production.

Even though it's $2800/wk, it would be safer to go the rental route than commit to a purchase (as I'm sure you know). If you two are serious about the business, get the tools, rent the machine, and push like heck during the whole process to get more work for the machine to maybe line up enough work to justify something other than renting. As someone else mentioned, state work is notoriously fickle as budgets can dry up without warning leaving contractors hanging. The hunting clubs could be a good source of work as well.

Oh ya, definitely go with at least the polycarbonate door, if not the whole forestry package. After starting to train some potential employees on the machine recently, I highly recommend as much protection as you can get for yourself and the machine.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I am serious about doing it. I just cant see how its going to work because we cant go fulltime.. But we'll see what happens. Dad is calling him back in the morning..

Whats sad, I've got work for the machine right now, but cant get the machine there due to budget issues.. I did talk them into bringing in a trackhoe though.. So stay tuned for this flustercuck.

But anyways, thanks for the advice Andrew.. I am curious as to why you say get the forestry package? Yellow, why do you say skip the forestry package and just get a door?

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I say get the forestry package because the added weight to me (especially on a track machine that already weighs alot) is a minor tradeoff for the protection the package offers. A short list of the benefits are 1.) less debris build up in the engine compartment/ lift cylinder area, 2.) less clogging and easier/faster daily cleaning of the grating covering the radiators, 3.)Increased top-of-cab protection from falling limbs or trees (including the viewing window that could potentially be a great "trap door" for sharp branches that want to land between your legs in the cab.

To put it in perspective, the other T320 (without forestry package) from the company that I sub to had a fire recently between the engine and the cab due to debris build up. While proper and thorough cleaning of the machine in regular intervals might have helped prevent this, the guarding around the engine door and lift cylinders would have helped even more by keeping a lot of the debris out.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you! Go get your war helmet on Any more questions, just shoot them over.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I say get the forestry package because the added weight to me (especially on a track machine that already weighs alot) is a minor tradeoff for the protection the package offers. A short list of the benefits are 1.) less debris build up in the engine compartment/ lift cylinder area, 2.) less clogging and easier/faster daily cleaning of the grating covering the radiators, 3.)Increased top-of-cab protection from falling limbs or trees (including the viewing window that could potentially be a great "trap door" for sharp branches that want to land between your legs in the cab.

To put it in perspective, the other T320 (without forestry package) from the company that I sub to had a fire recently between the engine and the cab due to debris build up. While proper and thorough cleaning of the machine in regular intervals might have helped prevent this, the guarding around the engine door and lift cylinders would have helped even more by keeping a lot of the debris out.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you! Go get your war helmet on Any more questions, just shoot them over.
that was kinda my worry, fire..

You make a very good point and I am pretty sure thats enough to make Dad get a forestry package, even if he decides on a used T300..

I'd still like to hear Yellows argument..

Again, thanks Andrew..

Quote:

Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Yeah, to the tune of $2800 a week..

And thanks Yellow, that was Dads biggest question.. I'll tell him just what you said..
Junior, sounds like renting is gonna cost you guys a bunch of money also. You said you guys don't have much cash on hand. Was wondering if you guys are going to borrow the money to pay the weekly rental payments or was gonna try to get some money up front for the work to be done?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

This job may state you need to use a machine with a fire suppression system on it. Your machine catches fire and causes a bush fire and creates millions of dollars worth of damage your in big trouble.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
This job may state you need to use a machine with a fire suppression system on it. Your machine catches fire and causes a bush fire and creates millions of dollars worth of damage your in big trouble.
You make a good point considering we're mowing to knock down the brush and chance of fire..

Quote:

Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldman12 View Post
Junior, sounds like renting is gonna cost you guys a bunch of money also. You said you guys don't have much cash on hand. Was wondering if you guys are going to borrow the money to pay the weekly rental payments or was gonna try to get some money up front for the work to be done?
That I dont know.. That would be something for Dad to answer..

Quote:

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
that was kinda my worry, fire..

You make a very good point and I am pretty sure thats enough to make Dad get a forestry package, even if he decides on a used T300..

I'd still like to hear Yellows argument..

Again, thanks Andrew..
even if you rent, you should open the cab occasionally and pull some of the "fluff" out. I also try and wash out the engine bay and around the lift arms weekly with a hose. You will be surprised how much stuff comes out like leaves, twigs, and fluff.
Fire is always a concern. I worry a lot about hoses. I also carry two extinguishers in the machine. One behind me in the corner and the other next to me (a tundra extinguisher). I also cover all the access holes on the side of the machine with caulk ( you may not be able to do that with rental) and other larger openings with cut to fit A/C filter stuffed into the holes. The Bobcat fan pulls a lot of air and will pull debris in through those holes.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing