Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
The QA was a joke aimed at the lasted Lawnsite expert.LOL

You can get backhoes cheaper than that if you look. You can find KX-161 excavators with open cabs for 25k. Heck a KX-081 just sold on IP for 37k.

The first thing you need to do is find out what product the competition is using, price per ft they are installing it, and if the new construction is not there you will have to do repairs which means you will have to deal with Effluent or poopy water . The margins are not as high as Landscape installations but the work is much steadier.
If your serious about this you need to call me and I will do what I can to help you.
I know it was.. I am thinking an L48 would stomp the 310 in the dirt all day long..

and as of now, there is one guy in this area that has the market cornered for installs, he forms his own tanks and is the only one in this area that sells the flowrite pipe or whatever you call it (the tile with the gravel around it) I am calling monday to find out what he charges.

And a backhoe wouldnt be our first choice, but if he is goin to help us get going and thats what he insists on getting, then so be it!

I am pretty serious about it, but we need to find out if we can get help getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I know it was.. I am thinking an L48 would stomp the 310 in the dirt all day long..

and as of now, there is one guy in this area that has the market cornered for installs, he forms his own tanks and is the only one in this area that sells the flowrite pipe or whatever you call it (the tile with the gravel around it) I am calling monday to find out what he charges.

And a backhoe wouldnt be our first choice, but if he is goin to help us get going and thats what he insists on getting, then so be it!

I am pretty serious about it, but we need to find out if we can get help getting started.
Here is the approved EZ flow products for your state

http://www.ezflowlp.com/map/map_pdf/southcarolina.pdf

One other thing if you do get an excavator get one with enough hyd flow to run a flail mower( 19gpm min).
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here is the approved EZ flow products for your state

http://www.ezflowlp.com/map/map_pdf/southcarolina.pdf

One other thing if you do get an excavator get one with enough hyd flow to run a flail mower( 19gpm min).
Thats what me and Dad were just talking about. We could get into a trackhoe and skid for the price of a backhoe. With alot more options for work..

AWJ, from what I've noticed around here, the guy that has the market cornered isnt getting an inspection or pulling permits the way DHEC is saying. Are there different codes for say, a builder installing a system himself to say a dedicated company that is licensed for installing systems? I know you wont know for SC, but lets say for your state..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thats what me and Dad were just talking about. We could get into a trackhoe and skid for the price of a backhoe. With alot more options for work..

AWJ, from what I've noticed around here, the guy that has the market cornered isnt getting an inspection or pulling permits the way DHEC is saying. Are there different codes for say, a builder installing a system himself to say a dedicated company that is licensed for installing systems? I know you wont know for SC, but lets say for your state..
The state sets Guidelines and the County is in charge of implementing the guide lines. Here you have Residential, Commercial, Mound and Drip are the 4 licenses here in Ga for installers. Everyone is the same. Everyone has to permit and get inspected. Contct your local enviromental health dept and speak with the agent. If there are no permits or inspections then that will speed things up.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The state sets Guidelines and the County is in charge of implementing the guide lines. Here you have Residential, Commercial, Mound and Drip are the 4 licenses here in Ga for installers. Everyone is the same. Everyone has to permit and get inspected. Contct your local enviromental health dept and speak with the agent. If there are no permits or inspections then that will speed things up.
Alright, I'll do that.

I was asking because the company here doesnt set up for DHEC to come out nor do they get inspections.. I hope its a county thing, like you said it'll keep things moving..

Thanks.

btw, Dad said my boss is serious about this, we just gotta get the numbers and stuff together to see what its going to take..

Quote:

Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 of the more successful guys once told me getting his spetic liscense was the #1 best thing he ever did. It gets you into full house lot jobs and other stuff too. No one around here does it with a hoe (though will have onsite to move material, usually excavator to load out failed system or bail out hole for new sand for new install) cause it can't set the tanks (though we all know the L48 would, but realistically every tank co. around now has booms and offers to set for dirt cheap. Although everyone and their mother offers septic install / repair around here, only a few busy ones and they are the ones that usually are set up to finish off house sites from foundation to septic to driveway to finish lawn install.

I would say go for it, pretty low overhead if you can get a cheap machine, though it will require laser, compactor, and other stuff which you can use. It is a good skill/ service to offer which is symbiotic with other future potentail work.

I guess the other issue is trucking where most systems and eventual site repair rquire some serious loads in and out, so depending on your trucking situation, others may be cheaper bidding if they own their own dump space, have own topsoil stockpile, and trucking.

I bet the state liscence is real cheap, probably cheaper than the corn you should be studying to get "aquainted" with the biz.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfarmer View Post
1 of the more successful guys once told me getting his spetic liscense was the #1 best thing he ever did. It gets you into full house lot jobs and other stuff too. No one around here does it with a hoe (though will have onsite to move material, usually excavator to load out failed system or bail out hole for new sand for new install) cause it can't set the tanks (though we all know the L48 would, but realistically every tank co. around now has booms and offers to set for dirt cheap. Although everyone and their mother offers septic install / repair around here, only a few busy ones and they are the ones that usually are set up to finish off house sites from foundation to septic to driveway to finish lawn install.

I would say go for it, pretty low overhead if you can get a cheap machine, though it will require laser, compactor, and other stuff which you can use. It is a good skill/ service to offer which is symbiotic with other future potentail work.

I guess the other issue is trucking where most systems and eventual site repair rquire some serious loads in and out, so depending on your trucking situation, others may be cheaper bidding if they own their own dump space, have own topsoil stockpile, and trucking.

I bet the state liscence is real cheap, probably cheaper than the corn you should be studying to get "aquainted" with the biz.
The tank setting is what is bothering me. But we'll get around that, or find a way around it..

Its bothering me because like I said, the guy that makes the tank in this area also does the installs. I doubt he'd be to happy about setting tanks for competitors. I can about guarantee he'd charge out the a$$ to do it. But we'll get around that..

And I'd like to do everything like you mentioned Curt. But we'll see what becomes of it. I know if my boss stays involved we'll be doing it right, he doesnt like to halfass stuff and isnt afraid to spend a buck to stand out from others..

Quote:

Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your local supplier also does installs, that is tuff on competing....but there is always room for 1 more who is just as good or better. He probably doesn't do all the other stuff associated with septic installs like I mentioned, so there is hope. I bet you could find a boom truck in your area to set them or sub out the heavy digging and setting to an excavator to get you going. Around here (which is slightly rural) there are more than a few precast co's around and they are fighting for work. Tell your local guy you would rather use him for everything you can...as long as he can set and not rape you price wise. H e shouldn't worry about you so he should play along. Avg. system around here is from $8-16K for a reasonable contractor and you can pay higher for tyhe guys with brandnew trucks. We also see ALOT of subs out here doing installs/repairs for pumping co's, so talk to them too.

If you can do it right....and eat some jobs to dump into equipment....you could get off the ground and into other things in 1 season or so.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The tank setting is what is bothering me. But we'll get around that, or find a way around it..

Its bothering me because like I said, the guy that makes the tank in this area also does the installs. I doubt he'd be to happy about setting tanks for competitors. I can about guarantee he'd charge out the a$$ to do it. But we'll get around that..

And I'd like to do everything like you mentioned Curt. But we'll see what becomes of it. I know if my boss stays involved we'll be doing it right, he doesnt like to halfass stuff and isnt afraid to spend a buck to stand out from others..
The tanks are set here with trucks and there are plastic tanks.
Our tanks are cast in 2 peice then glued and I have broke them back into 2 peices to set in the whole with my equipment but a 1000 gallon tank weighs about 7000 pounds whole.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They set tanks with the truck here. A septic is a 'need' item so is much more important. Our great state here thinks you have to be a rocket scientist to do them. As for equipment that would be touchy, I would hate to be 'forced' to use something.