Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I know this is going to sound crazy and you may not want to do this, but try a toilet bowl wax ring. I have some friends at fertilizer plants that have used these and they work way better than any petroleum product. One of the guys at the fert. plant just found some type of liquid wax. That would be another option. Like I said, sounds crazy but it works and you won't have the petroleum smell.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the Fluid film and a under coating spray gun and soak everything down. This is our second winter using it and I cant say enough good things about it. Under bodies and frames all still look like new . Everything gets coated down before the first snow and again after the final spring clean up. Our Plows and spreaders are all off the trucks now and coated with fluid fild. New skid loader wasnt 30 minutes old before it had is first coating.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

its not for everyone but I use mil-spec cosmiline
Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How would you apply cosmline? Kinda expensive and maybe be a pain in the arse if you needed to get to bare metal again.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterm View Post
How would you apply cosmline? Kinda expensive and maybe be a pain in the arse if you needed to get to bare metal again.
That's why its not for everyone the stuff I have is hyper expensive. Military surplus (compound cutback Mil-C16173A AM 2 grade 2) about 250.00 for a gallon. they still make this grade and it can be bought but given the cost you need to be serious about your desire to prevent rust. their are different grades you can buy that are more wallet friendly you can go hear http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/ and buy it in aerosol cans or gallons. although they don't sell the grade I use. Their are also different types of cosmoline, some dry amber, some semi dry tacky and their is a lube type. cosmoline can be applied with a brush and the thicker grades can be heated and sprayed under pressure. strong solvent will remove it or it can be sanded off or heated and wiped off but it is a project. Look at cosmoline for long term protection but I also am a huge fan of Fluid Film a serious product that works.