Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Sports Field Construction--Prices psf

I am new to Sports field construction and am looking for some help, please.

I will be bidding on a finished grade job of about 350,000-400,000sf. Top soil will already be spread and rough graded to +- 1/2". I will be grading with a laser guided box scraper, raking, seed, fert, and straw.

Specs are not out yet on seed, fert--so I know that will make a difference on the bid.

But can anyone with some experience give me a range of pricing for:

1) Dirt Work psf
2) Amount of straw needed psf or acre
3) Price on whole job psf
4) Or any other advice

Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone out there who could help me out with some numbers? I'm in Wisconsin. I was guessing around 8-10 cents psf for the entire job. I'd like to turn a profit but I don't want to price myself out of the work, either.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's bigger than anything I have done or have equipment to do. That is sod farm or golf course construction kind of size. This could easily top $10 K in seed and starter fertilizer alone. Sorry, I hope you get some help.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Member

FOREPLEASE-
Thanks so much for the reply. I have always gotten help on lawnsite before, and I was beginning to think that I was going to get skunked this time.

I have never done anything this large either. I think you might be right on seed costs. It's really going to depend on how they spec the seed. And that has not yet been released. I have done finish grade on (up to) 2.5 acres, before. I think I have a pretty good feeling for bidding that. But I don't think I would just multiply x 4, for this job because I think I would just price myself out of the work.

I've never done laser grading before. I was hoping to get a few guys to reply on what they would charge per square foot, on a job this size. Thanks again.

NEED MORE INPUT, PLEASE, ANYONE
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob, in thinking about it I recall there is a football field in our area that was regraded and sodded, The sod farm company did all the work: tear up old sod, laser grade, install new sod. I was working on another field at that school at the time and was watching that field's progress. The laser grading work was excellent and fast. My point is, even though the field will be seeded it may be that a sod farm in your area could do the grading for you.

Also, there are discussions about hydro-seeding in other sections of this board that may help you. It may have been in the used equipment forum but you can do a broad search on hydro-seed price and probably find it. Seems like the range of prices being discussed was 0.06 - 0.11 psf, which is a big chunk of your estimate above.

"rcreech," who hangs out mostly in the Pesticide & Herbicide Application forum does a lot of large area slit-seeding. Perhaps he can help you.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

FOREPLEASE-
Thanks again for the reply. All good thoughts. I had talked with the job manager about hydroseeding and his is against that process. It will either be spec'd for slit-seeding or broadcast seeding.

I appreciate the psf prices. However, I was not clear as to whether that was seeding only or grading, or combined. Could you clarify, please?

I still have to see the specs, but I have ballparked my costs at this point, and, in the back of my mind, I would like to bid the job at .09 or .10 psf. That fits in the .06-.11 range that you mentioned.

Again, don't want to go to low, but I would really like to get this bid.
ANY MORE INPUT ON PRICING?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What person would refuse hydroseeding over Broadcasting or Slit seeding..

Stupid...

Putting Hay on a field is good for protection, but the worse for clean up, and a easy way to introduce weeds..

We hydroseed Fields weekly,
Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And as far as pricing.. We get .06 a sqft for a high end seed and heavy rates of lime and fert.
When we do site work and seeding on large size jobs, its normally comes out to between .09-.10

Hell I would be willing to drive out there and shoot that for you, could have that sprayed for you in 8 hours..
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob,
The discussions I saw on here were for (hydro)seeding only. It seems like there was a lot of back and forth over whether jobs could be done between .06 and .11. It was several months ago...

I think it would be hard to throw around blanket numbers for grading. Seeding, by whatever means, would be a little easier to figure on a square foot basis once the material to be included is specified. Still, given your spec of rough grading to +/ 1/2" should be easy to understand for someone who knows that side of the business. That is not me, however (it takes me two hours to watch "60 Minutes"). Looks like hotshot4819 has a lot of experience with your type of project.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I currently have a bid for a high school football renovation. This bid includes a glyphosate application to existing turf (common bermuda) and grading existing soil (not laser grading). It also includes sprigging with Celebration bermuda, and all fertilizer and herbicide applications for grow in.

My bid for the turnkey job is just under $0.21 per sq. ft.

This is the first time I bid a turnkey job like this. I have done renovations before, but not turnkey. Also, this job is about 2 hours drive from my shop, so there is some travel time in the bid.

I don't have laser equipment, but I am looking into adding that. Looks like I can get the equipment for about 10k, which does not include a tractor or blade, which I already have.