Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tea Brewer Prices

Wow...I looked at Rittenhouse. How the hell are these brewers so expensive? A 25 gallon brewer was like $2,300 or something. I just don't understand.

Can't you just buy a 200 gallon tank from a company for say $250, buy a pump, tubes, mesh filter for compost, and keep your costs down around $700 or so?

A 500 gallon brewer from Rittenhouse was over $11,000???

Can someone please explain this?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is one of the best commercial brewers out there, the same one that Harvard uses, it make 250 gallons at a time. Bob Posthuma has the compost and food for the good guys pre packaged as well, no fuss, no muss. I believe Bob's unit is just under 4000 and all heavy duty stainless, very easy to clean and portable
http://www.greaterearthorganics.com/

Tim Wilson on here also makes a great unit

If I was was in your shoes and was going to start from scratch I would move right to an extraction unit, there is no brewing time you just go through a lot of compost

If you have a good source of compost at a good price, screw brewing and move right to extraction, it seems to work better for turf anyway

The larger units can make 3000 gallons of CT in a morning and it has a shelf life of a week or 2
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

ICT Bill, how is extraction better that brewing when it comes to turf?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, do you know how much tea you need? A handful of us on here use Tim Wilson's Microbulator. It's a pretty simple yet cheap and efficient brewer that uses a 55 gallon drum. I think it's $489 plus shipping from Canada and comes with a DVD on assembling, use, cleaning and recipes. It can be found here: www.microbeorganics.com

BTW, most of us that use the Microbulator also look at our brews under the microscope, and we all seem to like what we see.

Can you build a brewer yourself? Yeah you can. It will save you money, but it probably won't save you any time when you factor in purchasing parts, running back and forth to get other parts because you bought the wrong thing, etc.

If you don't have local compost available, you can go to http://www.simplici-tea.com/
They sell 50 gallon kits for the Microbulator as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
First off, do you know how much tea you need? A handful of us on here use Tim Wilson's Microbulator. It's a pretty simple yet cheap and efficient brewer that uses a 55 gallon drum. I think it's $489 plus shipping from Canada and comes with a DVD on assembling, use, cleaning and recipes. It can be found here: www.microbeorganics.com

BTW, most of us that use the Microbulator also look at our brews under the microscope, and we all seem to like what we see.

Can you build a brewer yourself? Yeah you can. It will save you money, but it probably won't save you any time when you factor in purchasing parts, running back and forth to get other parts because you bought the wrong thing, etc.

If you don't have local compost available, you can go to http://www.simplici-tea.com/
I have 3 brewers and I like the Microbulator with the simplicitea kits the best. Inexpensive, easy to use, thoroughly tested, and the DVD is priceless. The samples I've sent to the Soil Foodweb Lab show this combination has the best microbial count of my 3 brewers.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-jrock View Post
ICT Bill, how is extraction better that brewing when it comes to turf?
Thanks in advance.
You can make a lot very quickly
You are basically blasting the beneficials off of the compost and they are still in spore and dromant form just like on the compost, if you don't feed them you will have a shelf life of at least a week maybe 2

Application is just as easy in the field but the product has more compost to it so it kinda like applying liquid compost
All of the larger end users like Ag use extraction

Brewing has a cycle, early on it bacterial and then gets more fungal, foods used selects for certain outcomes, its not that complicated with extractions.

The way I have always looked at it and yes Elaine will agree I have asked her sevral times, if you are looking for disease suppression use brewed teas, if you are trying to get nutrient cycling going use extracted tea

Don't get me wrong both are great and are probably interchangable, you can just scale easier with extracts, you go through much more compost in comparison, if compost is readily available its not an issue

At Betsy Ross's place in Texas, and many others, they can make 3000 gallons in a morning, try that with a brewer
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

buy tims unit its great
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
buy tims unit its great
Yeah what he said, he is a man of few words, right to the point
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I second Natty's recommendation - Tims contacts, teaching and brewers are priceless and if you just want good tea with zero hassles - use ICT - mix with water and spray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post

Old 01-11-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
At Betsy Ross's place in Texas, and many others, they can make 3000 gallons in a morning, try that with a brewer
Bill does Betsy use a Geotea extractor?