Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compost Extractors

From one of Betsy's sister sites.

Liquid Compost Extract

Sustainable Growth Texas specializes in the blending of liquid compost extract, biological inoculants, microbial foods, and trace elements to make a complete bio-spray for custom application to farms and ranches.

We use a patented machine called the Hronek Flow-Thru Compost Extractor to make liquid compost extract, or LCE. The process is analogous to a washing machine that strips beneficial micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and nematodes) out of compost and results in a dark liquid compost solution that can be sprayed on soils and crops. LCE has the biological benefits of compost, without the bulk.
Compost extractors arose out of the modern compost tea industry and are considered the next generation. There are now about a half dozen compost extractors on the market, including batch and flow-thru models. The Hronek flow-thru extractor was the first patented extractor. With modifications, it is capable of producing 3,000 gallons of LCE per hour
LCE has several advantages over Aerated Compost Tea (ACT). LCE can be generated in large volumes in a short time frame, it is shelf-stable, and it offers the flexibility of activating for use as compost tea.
In the process of compost extraction, the beneficial biology in compost is dislodged and goes into a solution. An important distinction is that the majority of these micro-organisms are inactive or dormant. The liquid biology that results from LCE is similar to the conditions that exist in compost; only a small percentage are active and working, the others lie dormant until they are woken up in response to external stimuli. Thus, when LCE is applied to the landscape a greater number of these dormant micro-organisms survive. A key soil foodweb concept is successional biology. The micro-organisms from applied LCE wake up in response to plant root exudates at different times during the growing season, when they are needed. This approach supports the plant-microbe feedback loop.

LCE is thus especially well suited to soil applications. However, due to its flexibility, LCE can also be fed and aerated for use in foliar applications and in practice the activation period can occur in a short time frame.

Our Liquid Compost is made from 100% natural ingredients found in high-quality finished compost.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Bill does Betsy use a Geotea extractor?
No they use a very overpriced unit that has a veeerrrry long story with it. The beginnings of SGI

The simplest ones I have seen are nothing more than an auger inside a tube, the compost moves up the auger to meet high pressure spray, think pressure washing times 3

under the spray is a screen with a large container under that to collect the extract, the spray knocks the good guys off the compost and the compost continues up the auger to be deposited and returned to the compost pile

The liquid is now caught in a container, go spray
A flood jet tip is recommended
Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Liquid Compost Extract

Sustainable Growth Texas specializes in the blending of liquid compost extract, biological inoculants, microbial foods, and trace elements to make a complete bio-spray for custom application to farms and ranches.

An important distinction is that the majority of these micro-organisms are inactive or dormant. The liquid biology that results from LCE is similar to the conditions that exist in compost; only a small percentage are active and working, the others lie dormant until they are woken up in response to external stimuli. Thus, when LCE is applied to the landscape a greater number of these dormant micro-organisms survive. A key soil foodweb concept is successional biology. The micro-organisms from applied LCE wake up in response to plant root exudates at different times during the growing season, when they are needed. This approach supports the plant-microbe feedback loop.
HUH? imagine that dormant and spore form biology, sounds familiar
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Liquid Compost Extract

We use a patented machine called the Hronek Flow-Thru Compost Extractor to make liquid compost extract, or LCE. The process is analogous to a washing machine that strips beneficial micro-organisms (bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and nematodes) out of compost and results in a dark liquid compost solution that can be sprayed on soils and crops. LCE has the biological benefits of compost, without the bulk.
Compost extractors arose out of the modern compost tea industry and are considered the next generation. There are now about a half dozen compost extractors on the market, including batch and flow-thru models. The Hronek flow-thru extractor was the first patented extractor. With modifications, it is capable of producing 3,000 gallons of LCE per hour
LCE has several advantages over Aerated Compost Tea (ACT). LCE can be generated in large volumes in a short time frame, it is shelf-stable, and it offers the flexibility of activating for use as compost tea.
In the process of compost extraction, the beneficial biology in compost is dislodged and goes into a solution. An important distinction is that the majority of these micro-organisms are inactive or dormant. The liquid biology that results from LCE is similar to the conditions that exist in compost; only a small percentage are active and working, the others lie dormant until they are woken up in response to external stimuli. Thus, when LCE is applied to the landscape a greater number of these dormant micro-organisms survive. A key soil foodweb concept is successional biology. The micro-organisms from applied LCE wake up in response to plant root exudates at different times during the growing season, when they are needed. This approach supports the plant-microbe feedback loop.

LCE is thus especially well suited to soil applications. However, due to its flexibility, LCE can also be fed and aerated for use in foliar applications and in practice the activation period can occur in a short time frame.

Our Liquid Compost is made from 100% natural ingredients found in high-quality finished compost.
The Hronek Flow Thru Extractor is the first LCE unit that I know of. Dennis was a little ahead of his time, and I don't think the company is doing business any longer. I don't know how expensive it was, but it looks like the SGI people are the main users of this unit. If you want to see how it works, search the many patent sites on the internet.

I think I know of about 3-4 units out there now, and none of them are cheap. The range seems to go from 8k to about 17k. It can be done cheaper if you have the time and resourcefulness to go digging for parts and info.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I HAVE A COOL SET OF TOOLS
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One advantage to ACT over LCE is the ability to fine tune the active microbes prior to application. e.g. A good ratio of active protozoa to bacteria to fungi. Better yet with a microscope you can make sure they are there before you stop brewing and start spraying.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
One advantage to ACT over LCE is the ability to fine tune the active microbes prior to application. e.g. A good ratio of active protozoa to bacteria to fungi. Better yet with a microscope you can make sure they are there before you stop brewing and start spraying.
This point is actually what got my jaw to drop the first time I heard Elaine speak, many others did not get it and still don't

simply put...you can adjust the brew for the specific crop or plant that you are trying to grow

WOW!!!

What I came to understand a year later is that you can do that much more effeciently in other ways, meaning selecting for outcomes on a crop

I don't want this to sound wrong because I REALLY support CT brewing.... even if you have a microscope you still have no idea who the characters in the play are, you have a general idea......my dear we are going to see Hamlet, when she asks "well who is in it" your answer can only be "actors"

or saying " I am thinking about buying a new car" what kind? " either a Ford, Audi, Porche or Kia" well which model and make and color, 2 door or 4 door, SUV or hatch back

again please don't get me wrong, been there, done that, got the shirt, wore it out

Last edited by ICT Bill; 01-12-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

How much area does a 50gal batch cover? Is anyone using tea as fertilizer for their customers lawns? I also worry about the smell, most people in my area would love this product because of the "green" aspect but they're also part of a demographic that if the smell lingered would probably rather me use the fertilizer (that is harmful to their pets and children) lol
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finished ACT has a mild earthy odor which does not linger.

Tea in a jug has some labelled spores which do not include protozoa (to my knowledge) nor any fungi imperfecti, both of which are abundant in brewed ACT. Both bottled and brewed have their benefits.

Are you getting a dog? Yup. What kind? A mutt derived from a whole bunch of different pedigrees which I don't know. Why? Stronger genetics and longer living than pure breds.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well put tim