Register free!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone had great success with this type of product?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCofDayton View Post
How much area does a 50gal batch cover? Is anyone using tea as fertilizer for their customers lawns? I also worry about the smell, most people in my area would love this product because of the "green" aspect but they're also part of a demographic that if the smell lingered would probably rather me use the fertilizer (that is harmful to their pets and children) lol
I add 250 gal water to 50 gal of AACT and treat about 5 acres. Odor is not an issue with properly brewed tea. IMO, fertilizer is not harmful to kids & pets.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's just toxic to wells, aquafers, bays, streams, crabs, oysters, fish, bay grasses...... you get the idea
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
The Hronek Flow Thru Extractor is the first LCE unit that I know of. Dennis was a little ahead of his time, and I don't think the company is doing business any longer. I don't know how expensive it was, but it looks like the SGI people are the main users of this unit. If you want to see how it works, search the many patent sites on the internet.

I think I know of about 3-4 units out there now, and none of them are cheap. The range seems to go from 8k to about 17k. It can be done cheaper if you have the time and resourcefulness to go digging for parts and info.
Looks like Todd Harrington is selling the Hronek Extractors for $15,000 on craigslist:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/2008303645.html
He also lists it on his website in the contractor section.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard View Post
Looks like Todd Harrington is selling the Hronek Extractors for $15,000 on craigslist:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/2008303645.html
He also lists it on his website in the contractor section.
If you need to make huge amounts quick then that is what you should be looking at, Tim who is on here makes a very cost effective brewer for a 55 gallon barrel, most folks do a 10 to 1 ratio so it would make enough to do over 500 gallon of tea. Geotea makes a 275 gallon brewer for less than $5000, both Tim's and geotea will extract the compost you use more but it has a shelf life of a couple weeks and i believe is a better product for turf
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have often wondered why one couldn't just put a couple hundred pounds of good screeded compost plus 50 pounds of wermicompost in a 1000 gal. hydroseeder, run the pump for an hour or so and then spray that on turf. Would one have a shaken loose enough of the spore form microbes to be effective. I ask because I went the used hydroseeder route when looking for a tea sprayer.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis de sod View Post
I have often wondered why one couldn't just put a couple hundred pounds of good screeded compost plus 50 pounds of wermicompost in a 1000 gal. hydroseeder, run the pump for an hour or so and then spray that on turf. Would one have a shaken loose enough of the spore form microbes to be effective. I ask because I went the used hydroseeder route when looking for a tea sprayer.
You can and it works better than great, especially when seeding. Look out because the plant will poke you in the eye it grows so fast. The application is for hydroseeding bare ground on existing turf it knocks it down and often buries it

A buddy screens the compost to 1/8 minus and puts 1 yard in a Finn that holds 750 gallons, they also use the slurry for stream restoration

If you put too much compost in it will clog the hose and pumps and then you have a real mess on your hands, that is also why it needs to be screened
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I used it hydroseeding this fall with great results. I have a turbo turf 750 gallon unit and put @ 400# plus 200# of paper to seed 10 k with very good results. I does make a brown slurry at those rates though and I was looking for something that would give the biology without looking like the honeywagon just sprayed your lawn. Will the bale buster knock the critters loose into the water after an hour of agitation?
I think I have attached a photo of the seeding, it is rather brown with all the compost, and then a photo of the field six weeks later with some new clients.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow! awesome.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis de sod View Post
I think I have attached a photo of the seeding, it is rather brown with all the compost, and then a photo of the field six weeks later with some new clients.
Nice photos Marquis de sod. It looks like it worked well. Why not just add some additional dye to the mix so it has the green look you want along with the great results you have with the compost.

I have seen guys use a hydroseeder for hydrofeeding, just basically using it to top dress and the one time I did it we used 500 pounds of compost in a 500 gallon TT HS-500-XPW. It worked great but probalby would have handled more compost. I would think letting it blend for a while would do what you suggest.