Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

aeration

whats the deal with lawn aeration. I done it before on my own lawn, but I don't understand what it's supposed to do and what times of year it should be done. Also how much do you charge for this service
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no offense, but have you ever even tried to look it up before joining a professional lco forum. really!!!! i am sorry, but that just dont seem right.

anyways, it is good to do in spring and fall, summer is usually bad due to drought or warm temps will dry out the open ground faster and do more harm then good.

it helps the ground physically breathe better which in turn makes for better roots due to easier water and air movement in the soil. cant go wrong with it. make sure to get as deep as you can in very moist soil, but not saturated in avoidable due to causing more damage to the turf than needed.

also a great time to fert, topdress and overseed with this to invigorate a lawn
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
no offense, but have you ever even tried to look it up before joining a professional lco forum. really!!!! i am sorry, but that just dont seem right.

anyways, it is good to do in spring and fall, summer is usually bad due to drought or warm temps will dry out the open ground faster and do more harm then good.

it helps the ground physically breathe better which in turn makes for better roots due to easier water and air movement in the soil. cant go wrong with it. make sure to get as deep as you can in very moist soil, but not saturated in avoidable due to causing more damage to the turf than needed.

couldnt of said it better myself!! i charge double the mowing price. and if i dont cut the yard, i figure out the mowing price and double it. i think its easier that way.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 01-11-2010, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we get a decent more than that and still come in cheaper than almost all in our area. i think if you dont have high mowing prices, then raise your aeration
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

grassman summed it up. Only thing I would add is it also helps alleviate compaction.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post

So now we have aeration police, it's the guys first post for heavens sake, how about if you don't want to deal with it him ignore him . BTW study's have shown that aeration can actually increase soil compaction. What do you think happens at the sides and bottom of those tines?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
So now we have aeration police, it's the guys first post for heavens sake, how about if you don't want to deal with it him ignore him . BTW study's have shown that aeration can actually increase soil compaction. What do you think happens at the sides and bottom of those tines?
That is true of spike aerators, but I believe pluggers do alleviate compaction. Right now our soils are getting the best compaction relief available.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
I haven't used one yet, but the aeravator seems to really break up the soil....anyone else have experience with this machine?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tried to find an aeravater as a rental last year but couldn't find one. It looks like they only make tractor models so wouldn't fit well in many of my properties.
I did like the way it worked the soil in the video though.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how do you get your customers to let you aerate the yard?
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."