Register free!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Cut View Post
Hey guys

Could someone recommend the type theyd use? I was thinking of dormant seeding next month that way when it starts to warm up the seed will germinate more quickly but a lot of the seed could rot. little inexperienced in this aspect of the lawn care... Any ideas, pit falls, recommendations?
We've PM'ed a little about bluegrass & perennial rye.
Now you're considering a blend of ttt fescues, or straight KY 31 fescue.

I will in no way bash the durability aspects of fescue in S Ohio.
But at the same time, we're talking about seeding in February, and the relatively s-l-o-w germination tendencies of fescue compared to other species, ESPECIALLY rye.
And who knows exactly when the day care providers at each specific facility will be letting the little rut rats loose to run around & start the slow but inevitable process of destroying your work? We could have 2 week's worth of decent weather at the end of February & the beginning of March- maybe more than enough foot traffic to do it in just at the time it's trying to come up!

Early season traffic is the primary reason why I believe you should stick w/ your original plan of bluegrass & rye.
An 80%/20% (by weight) rye/blue blend is actually close to 65/35 by seed count because an individual bluegrass seed is much smaller than rye, so use something very close to 80/20 by weight.
If you seed heavily enough (8-10# / 1000 sq ft) there should be plenty of bluegrass there to begin throwing out rhizomes, & hopefully the rye will withstand the stampede of kids long enough for this to happen.
I'm pretty sure the Lesco name for either 80/20 or 75/25 is 'Eagle Blend plus Blue'.
CWS, the Feed Barn, or Shemins Nursery (on Muhlhauser s of 275) can probably find you equivalents if Lesco people are too inept to help you.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Marcos. Could you send me those PM's you sent to Lazer? I've got a new commercial property that has some islands in the parking lot. They are always bear and they want me to plant grass that will pop quick and maybe stand up to people walking on them.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haha... lone oak I was asking questions while he answered and gave me good answers previous to this thread it was a conversation over a few days...

Marcos- I called the place in fairfield and talked to a guy about 30 min and have decided on the contractors blend and add bag of rye just so I can mix it in. He said its their toughest blend (withstand heavy traffic)

So thanks guys for the ky 31 and thanks marcos... found who I will buy from... ill mention your name and maybe you'll get a kick back or something. Ill be buying a lot of seed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Cut View Post
Haha... lone oak I was asking questions while he answered and gave me good answers previous to this thread it was a conversation over a few days...

Marcos- I called the place in fairfield and talked to a guy about 30 min and have decided on the contractors blend and add bag of rye just so I can mix it in. He said its their toughest blend (withstand heavy traffic)

So thanks guys for the ky 31 and thanks marcos... found who I will buy from... ill mention your name and maybe you'll get a kick back or something. Ill be buying a lot of seed.
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, Justin.
I haven't been to CWS in Fiarfield since we got out of the salt biz a number of years ago.
They're too far away from our core of customers to make it worth our while to go there, but thanks for the plug anyway, and good luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

just wondering, can anyone tell me how soon i can over seed here in northeast pa.
this person wants everything bagged when mowing. so has to have time to grow before frist mowing. i know, should of done it last fall.
thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjb View Post
just wondering, can anyone tell me how soon i can over seed here in northeast pa.
this person wants everything bagged when mowing. so has to have time to grow before frist mowing. i know, should of done it last fall.
thanks
You can put seed down anytime that it is convenient during the dormant periods of turf. This is called dormant seeding. Just be careful it doesn't wash away with the spring thaw.

Northern grasses are said to germinate, when soil temps reach 50 degrees F. This is true whether you are in PA or Wisco.
Good luck.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are describing dormant seeding, where grass seed is planted late in fall so it stays dormant until spring. Then as conditions warm in spring, the seed is already in place and ready to germinate. The time to dormant seed would be the last week of November. The seed should be planted so there is good seed to soil contact. In the event we get early snow, do not plant the seed over the snow.

Dormant seeding has risks, so if a large area is to be planted, you may want to consider waiting until spring to do so. Winter weather conditions are unpredictable. Ideally a snow cover is desired over a dormant seeded area to help assure the seed stays in place. Warmer than normal conditions without snow cover is one of the potential problems with dormant seeding.
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grass really does not grow much at temps below 50. I think it is best to wait until the greenup date in your neighborhood. April 15 around here, (about a week before the first mowing). Does not matter when you sow the seed--nothing happens until it is warm enough in spring. If you are in a hurry---consider pre-germinated rye blends. It takes some skill and equipment. Something like warm water in a warm room, with air bubbled through the solution, 24 to 48 hours and rye is partially germinated. Sow it and amazing--grass in 72 hours.
http://www.sportsturfonline.com/ME2/...E3D4464352DF70

http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-85265.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...29/3/index.htm
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydale View Post
You are describing dormant seeding, where grass seed is planted late in fall so it stays dormant until spring. Then as conditions warm in spring, the seed is already in place and ready to germinate. The time to dormant seed would be the last week of November. The seed should be planted so there is good seed to soil contact. In the event we get early snow, do not plant the seed over the snow.

Dormant seeding has risks, so if a large area is to be planted, you may want to consider waiting until spring to do so. Winter weather conditions are unpredictable. Ideally a snow cover is desired over a dormant seeded area to help assure the seed stays in place. Warmer than normal conditions without snow cover is one of the potential problems with dormant seeding.
The point I tried to make was that, the earlier the better.
Oherwise, I agree.
B4 snow is definately best. After snow is also good. Seed on the open ground in Spring, is exposed to the freezing/thawing cycle. This process sows the seed into the surface, so it is at the correct level in the soil, to pop, as soon as the temps rise. Hopefully there is enough moisture at that time.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what you guys recommend will work for doing my daycare centers? I have to slit seed 5 daycare center playground areas... three outta the five have nice grass established... the other 2 not so good
Posted via Mobile Device