Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTYCEDAR View Post
Its called littering and you can be fined
Two things really bug me at our home. One is a small paper called Food Day that they throw in the driveway in a bag. I keep forgetting to call them, to stop delivery for what we never asked for.

And the other is the aeration services and pizza restaurants that tape their flyers to our house.

They could at least get off their lazy butts and slide it under the doormat or something.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-15-2010, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
I haven't tried it, but I did make another contractor pay for a window after the bag he threw ended up in the lawn for whatever reason and I hit it with the mower, sending two rocks into a home.

BTW, there were to adults and 3 children, including a newborn in the room. Had it hit one, someones insurance would have gone waaay up.

Not worth the risk.

BTW, before anyone asks, it was a green paper in a clear bag in green grass, I saw it when I was right about on top of it, I did try to stop.
The sad part is that you really are responsible. You lucked out with having the other contractor pay for it. I understand green bag and all but you need to examine the lawn a little better than that. Some kid could have left his green golf ball he stole from his dad in their lawn and you hit it. You cant sue the kid can you? No.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

you are all right. Tacky, Lazy and not professional. Get door hangers and hire kids to walk the hoods or direct mail. You don't want your future clients calling you because you littered in their yards. You want to send a good impression. Cold call them, look in the city records and get new home buyer info and get them that way. Flyers were great back 15 years ago but you can get them on the net and better yet make your current customers extremely happy, happy customers are you best salesmen!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcjustin View Post
The sad part is that you really are responsible. You lucked out with having the other contractor pay for it. I understand green bag and all but you need to examine the lawn a little better than that. Some kid could have left his green golf ball he stole from his dad in their lawn and you hit it. You cant sue the kid can you? No.
So you spend hours a day walking every square inch of every lawn?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
So you spend hours a day walking every square inch of every lawn?
Responsibility is part of running a business. You are responsible for what you do. and yes. We do check the properties before we fling debris out from the mower. If we didn't then my insurance would probably be a little higher if I couldn't find the person who "accidentally dropped" what ever it is I hit. Especially if you want to keep your mowers working good and save on replacing parts and hurting personal property. It's like the guys who run over the sewer clean outs on their first mow. Look at what you are doing before you do it. Common sense.

www.klclandscaping.net

Hey Honey, $12,000 in the hole; let's go max out our credit cards & those home equity checks.Spending gets us out of debt. Obama's doing it!

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."~ Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colandscaper View Post
I was wondering if anyone had ever put flyers in bags and weighted them and then tossed them on driveways? Weve always done flyers on mailboxrs and had about 1% results. If ayone has ever used the method of bagging the flyers and throwing them on the driveway. i would appreciate any feedback on results. I'm kind of shooting in the dark on this one. Also what do you use to weight the bags down.
Someone told me to do this using a rock. He is one of my competitors but kinda a friend also. Anyway it sucked. I put out about 2,000 and I got more complaints. I had 2 customers sign up. I am guessing maybe 20 calls of complaints. All it told me is well they took the time to read it that is for sure. Even another local company asked me about it.

So, from someone who has done it I say don't do it. You can get a lot out fast that is for sure but not worth it.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunjason View Post
Someone told me to do this using a rock. He is one of my competitors but kinda a friend also. Anyway it sucked. I put out about 2,000 and I got more complaints. I had 2 customers sign up. I am guessing maybe 20 calls of complaints. All it told me is well they took the time to read it that is for sure. Even another local company asked me about it.

So, from someone who has done it I say don't do it. You can get a lot out fast that is for sure but not worth it.
thanks for the input. you are one of the guys that actually took the time to give a legitimate reply. unlike everyont else who likes to get into a pissing contest because a there bus. is sad and they have nothing better to do or b they need to feel important and putting other people down on some website (where no one knows who they really are) helps them achieve that. Thanks I truly appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who even would consider throwing rocks on someones lawn to advertise is a dirt bag. No wonder why the industry is looked down on. I am so done with this thread.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You just called me a dirt bag!

I don't appreciate it because I am in know way a dirt bag. I have been doing this for more than 10 years. I would have never done it but it was something we tried. Why? Because someone else did it. Then I saw it in of all places a manual on how to get more business.

So, please don't call me a dirt bag.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

dont worry about johnny moron. He is exactly the kind of idiot I was talking about. When your in bus. that is what you do, try out new ideas or at least throw the idea out there and talk about it.

Hey Johnny the industry is looked down on because of classless people like you. I'm sorry that your unhappy with your bus. or life or whatever, but that doesnt give you the right to degrade somebody for having an idea. So thank you for being done with the thread I dont want to waste another second reading your bs.