Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

open trailer deck question

Got a free 6x12 with dual drop gate for helping install fence for neighbor. Needs tires lights and a deck. Now What wood should I use on the deck heard bad things about the new pressure treated wood and corrosion. How long would regular pine last vs oak.. I know major price difference for 2x6x12 in oak wondering if it would outlast life left in trailer.. Only trailer for light one man business but I do haul 5-7 cords of wood a year to my house for heat.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighunter301 View Post
Got a free 6x12 with dual drop gate for helping install fence for neighbor. Needs tires lights and a deck. Now What wood should I use on the deck heard bad things about the new pressure treated wood and corrosion. How long would regular pine last vs oak.. I know major price difference for 2x6x12 in oak wondering if it would outlast life left in trailer.. Only trailer for light one man business but I do haul 5-7 cords of wood a year to my house for heat.
My open trailer has a 2x8 Spruce deck, 15 years in the open and still good.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The trailer I bought brand new this past spring had the regular pressure treated pine, lasts about 5-8 years, If you have a lumber mill around you or know someone who works at one, ask them for some rough sawed Red or white Oak boards. I knew a guy who worked at lumber mill around me and he got me a freakin trailer load of red oak for free! The catch, I had to make them square, as they were all rough sawn and not exactly square or true, but they are now, and those boards were heavy duty to say the least! Should last my lifetime! But it did add alot of weight to the trailer versus the pine. I also brushed on some Thompsons deck treatment stuff, plus the trailer smells really good too!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Beginning of every season I pressure wash the deck and throw down a few coats of thompson's waterseal. Seems to work pretty good, I haven't noticed any rotting.

2013 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4 door with onboard air and K3LA train horns

10 Appalachian 6x16 open trailer
07 Husqvarna 4815 WB
Wright Stander 36
00 JD JX75
09 Exmark Metro 26
01 Husqvarna 125 blower
08 Husqvarna 324L trimmer
08 Husqvarna 123HD60 hedge trimmer
09 Stihl HL 100 135
09 Stihl BR600

"If you're dumb, you suffer."
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The way the boards mount to an open trailer actually speeds up rotting, the front and backs sit on the side of the piece of angle of the trailer frame, and when it rains or snows, all that water drains down and just sits in that area and takes forever to dry.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You will break your trailer before the pressure treated wood rusts out the frame. I have worked with tons of the new PT wood running lag bolts through them for decks and docks. You will be fine.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive seen some guys around here using that fake wood made for decks on their trailers, I think it is resin fiber or something, looks like wood, but will never rot, or warp, and it is much heavier than regular wood,and more pricey. In my opinion, its not worth it, because regular wood will work fine and will usually outlast the trailer itself, so why spend the extra money on that fiber wood? Plus by the time the wood rots on a trailer, you are probably ready for a new trailer anyway by that time.