Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

new to the forum what do you think...

Hello im new to the forum and just wanted to get some feedback on a past job we, did this is a before and after shot.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good. Apparently (from the first pic) originally a DIY. Reconstructing these types are always fun.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good, the aquatic plants really give it a natural look. How bad was the smell when cleaning out the original mess. Yuck!!! Done one or two of those myself not something i'd recommend.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Hello im new to the forum and just wanted to get some feedback on a past job we, did this is a before and after shot.
Looks pretty good, a couple things.

1. Do you have a skimmer box hooked up or just a pump that runs the aerator?
2. Try to use larger stone in the waterfall area or you be getting call backs because the rocks are sliding and liner will be exposed.
3. Stay away from cattail in smaller ponds. They're extremely aggressive and will take over smaller ponds in no time.

Pittsburgh Stone and Waterscapes

View additional projects at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pittsb...50043198372984
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, the pond was about 5000 gallons when it was complete . There is a full skimmer skimmer unit on the pond as well. The stone in the waterfall is all large stone it will not move the smaller stone you see are still about 10 " in diameter and sealed into place, The cattails are in pots and are not planted into the pond. To plant into gravel is crazy! Espiecially if you do maintenance on a pond. Ive been building ponds for years and i do not gravel line the bottoms on any of them. If you are a full service pond company like i am all it does cause problems in the service and maintanence part of your business. Also too its a waste of money and time when you builded them. Bottom line in month you will never see the stone and gravel in the bottoms because of algae growth. debris etc. If you intstall the proper filtration system theres no need for the gravel.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks, the pond was about 5000 gallons when it was complete . There is a full skimmer skimmer unit on the pond as well. The stone in the waterfall is all large stone it will not move the smaller stone you see are still about 10 " in diameter and sealed into place, The cattails are in pots and are not planted into the pond. To plant into gravel is crazy! Especially if you do maintenance on a pond. Ive been building ponds for years and i do not gravel line the bottoms on any of them. If you are a full service pond company like i am all it does cause problems in the service and maintanence part of your business. Also too its a waste of money and time when you builded them. Bottom line in month you will never see the stone and gravel in the bottoms because of algae growth. debris etc. If you intstall the proper filtration system theres no need for the gravel.
Well Matt, everybody has there own perspective on aesthetics.But let me give you a little advice and how you choose to take it will tell the tale on how you will survive in business.Your a young guy whom seems to have a passion for the industry, and if your wise you will learn from the guys who have been there and done that.Using these forums are a great way of getting feedback from experienced installers and designers. Firstly, to give you a little background, I've been in this industry full time for 16 years. My water features have been published in every local newspaper, Showcased on HGTV, and Aquascapes uses my job pics on their web site and brochures. To use pots does a good job containing roots but goes against the whole "natural look" a water feature is trying to achieve. Plus the plants stay contained in the pots and don't spread naturally. If you plant it properly the pond will flourish and look more natural every year. Secondly, a gravel lined pond is part of the whole biological system! Gravel gives a place for beneficial bacteria to colonize along with protecting your liner from UV exposure. By not covering your liner your cutting the life of the liner in half. And who wants to look at exposed liner?? It's a water feature, it's supposed to look natural. A big part of your algae problems is because there isn't enough bacteria to breakdown the fish and plant waste and the algae thrives on it. Your ponds should never be filled with algae.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually ive been building ponds myself for over 15 years. Your take on your on gravel and bacteria is true however if in the end it does create a nightmare on cleaning and overall maintancence of a pond. All ponds have will have algae just because you have gravel doesnt mean you dont have algae. There isnt a plant that i know that will stay in pot especially if the pot has been planted in gravel. Ive seen too many aquascape style ponds that have been comsumed by plants growing into the gravel and yes they started in pots. I know what you are sayn about aesthetics of pond however once you place your plants into the pond they will take off and if you have the proper amount you never see the bottom anyways. Your liner exposure and it cutting the life in halve well i have to disagree with that its a rubber liner not pvc liner. Ive seen rubber liner ponds that are over 30 years old without gravel on them.

All im saying is upgrade a filter system and your pond will do just as well as one that is gravel lined without the headaches. Traditional koi ponds do not have gravel in them, just upgraded filtration system. The number one complaint from customers that i run into is i wished there was no gravel in my pond. In the end most customers do their own work on there ponds so you want to make them happy as well as have a healthly pond without the headaches for them.
Greg
Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Actually ive been building ponds myself for over 15 years. Your take on your on gravel and bacteria is true however if in the end it does create a nightmare on cleaning and overall maintancence of a pond. All ponds have will have algae just because you have gravel doesnt mean you dont have algae. There isnt a plant that i know that will stay in pot especially if the pot has been planted in gravel. Ive seen too many aquascape style ponds that have been comsumed by plants growing into the gravel and yes they started in pots. I know what you are sayn about aesthetics of pond however once you place your plants into the pond they will take off and if you have the proper amount you never see the bottom anyways. Your liner exposure and it cutting the life in halve well i have to disagree with that its a rubber liner not pvc liner. Ive seen rubber liner ponds that are over 30 years old without gravel on them.

All im saying is upgrade a filter system and your pond will do just as well as one that is gravel lined without the headaches. Traditional koi ponds do not have gravel in them, just upgraded filtration system. The number one complaint from customers that i run into is i wished there was no gravel in my pond. In the end most customers do their own work on there ponds so you want to make them happy as well as have a healthly pond without the headaches for them.
Greg
I wish you and your company all the best...

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my 2 cents on the use of gravel on a pond's bottom.

For a pond to function properly and completely on a biological level, it must have an established food chain. The establishment of this food chain requires the existence of a 'Benthic' layer. This layer provides habitat for the myriad micro-organisms that form the base of the food chain. This layer is naturally occurring in earth-bottom ponds, but must be fabricated in lined ponds. This is done through the use of a layer of gravel which provides the necessary environment for the growth of these micro-organisms. The importance of this 'Benthic' layer cannot be overstated.

I WILL NOT install a pond without a gravel bottom (customer requested) unless I first inform the customer of the fact that they will not have a fully functional biological eco-system.

I actually find that a pond with a gravel bottom requires less overall maintenance and expense.

I have been exclusively in pond construction and maintenance for over 10 years.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how big is that pond? Looks to be pretty good sized. Work looks good too.