Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Need a right hand man for Loganville, Ga.!!!!!!

I have had some dead beat workers and now I need a quality guy to be my right hand man. It's a great opportunity but a couple of guys have blown it. I do mostly large commercial/industrial maintenance so I'm parked on a job for up to 12 hrs. I need a man with a lot of experience who can run with the ball and supervise others when the time arises-needs to be proficient with a Large ZTR, trimmers, blowers, shrubbery trimming, etc. I"m looking for quality work and someone who will look at each job separately and decide what needs to be done, not just someone wanting to get in 8 hrs. I'm at the beginning stage from going solo to having a larger lawn service and I need someone looking for a career, eventually. The pay? The harder you work, the more you make!!!!!!!!! I strive to be the Boss I've never had and treat all of my workers to the best of my ability-extremely easy to get a long with. It's a great environment but, I will say this, it's going to be a lot of work. We will probably be working 12+ hrs. in the summer so if you're looking for an 8-5, this is not your job. Again, a GREAT OPPORTUNITY!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With the economy the way it is you would think people would be begging for a chance to work and better themselves. Wish Loganville was a little closer
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityLawnCare4u View Post
With the economy the way it is you would think people would be begging for a chance to work and better themselves. Wish Loganville was a little closer
That's what I thought. I actually gave three guys the opportunity I'm trying to give someone and they blew it. The last guy was on a work release program and he stood me up-No call or nothing. I was thinking, "how can a man on a work release program at the county jail stand you up"??!!!!! All of these guys were men who couldn't even buy groceries and pay their bills and here I was picking them up, buying their lunch, advancing them money, and just asking for respect and hard work in return and they couldn't even do that. People just don't wan to work.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JB, let me know if you ever need help on the West side. My son will need all the work he can get once he's home from college, or his short class days, Wed and Friday.
Have you considered hiring someone a little older, I've had great success hiring the 55+ guys for warehouse and retail that have been downsized or found their retirement funds pillaged. They may not be able to hump it like a 20 something, but they show up and put in a good day once you weed through the ones with issues.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
That's what I thought. I actually gave three guys the opportunity I'm trying to give someone and they blew it. The last guy was on a work release program and he stood me up-No call or nothing. I was thinking, "how can a man on a work release program at the county jail stand you up"??!!!!! All of these guys were men who couldn't even buy groceries and pay their bills and here I was picking them up, buying their lunch, advancing them money, and just asking for respect and hard work in return and they couldn't even do that. People just don't wan to work.
County Jail is not where you want to go looking for quality people.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep trying . I go thourgh aboult 10 a year to add 1 That I keep.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Greenscaper View Post
County Jail is not where you want to go looking for quality people.
This guy actually came to me begging......for work and telling me how it was mandatory that he work-I figured he was worth a shot. It's funny, I've had quite a few on here suggest the work release program.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
JB, let me know if you ever need help on the West side. My son will need all the work he can get once he's home from college, or his short class days, Wed and Friday.
Have you considered hiring someone a little older, I've had great success hiring the 55+ guys for warehouse and retail that have been downsized or found their retirement funds pillaged. They may not be able to hump it like a 20 something, but they show up and put in a good day once you weed through the ones with issues.
"They may not be able to hump it like a 20 something"

Hey Hey there now, some of us 50 year olds can still hump pretty d*mn good. Would you like to interview one of my twenty something year old gal friends
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I'll keep that in mind-thanks. I have a guy who's in school at UGA helping me right now. However, he's only available on Friday's while school is in session and is open for the summer. What I really need is one good worker I can work year round. I may be a little slow the first winter but if someone will stick it out past that, they'll have a good opportunity. My goal is to have 2-3 full time workers working along with me in the field, so nobody is actually going to have to take the reins all together. Eventually, I want to offer insurance and benefits and create a great working environment. I just need someone who can recognize a good opportunity when they see one. I do agree with an earlier statement that, with the economy, you'd think there would be tons to choose from. I've learned that there are tons who just want a paycheck and to not really have to work. Funny, I never found that.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityLawnCare4u View Post
"They may not be able to hump it like a 20 something"

Hey Hey there now, some of us 50 year olds can still hump pretty d*mn good. Would you like to interview one of my twenty something year old gal friends
I'd be happy to interview one of your 20 something gal friends!I have a girlfriend that's 25 and I love her but my wife hates her!!!Can't women just learn to get along!!!!!