Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Workers Comp Renewal Problem

I have a lawn care company in Central Florida. We had a workers comp claim last year (First one in 5 years of trading), and now our carrier has advised they will not renew the policy. They are claiming that because we do tree trimming they are not willing to cover us. We only do a small amount if this work, generally palm trees once a year. Has anyone else had similar problems regarding coverage for tree work? Can anyone suggest an insurance company we could try?

Last edited by JMarshall; 02-03-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had a similar thing happen my 2nd year in business. Switched to Blackadar Insurance in Longwood. Great service and no problem since. There # is 407-831-3832, you can contact then through their web site too @ www.blackadar.com. Good Luck!!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarshall View Post
I have a lawn care company in Central Florida. We had a workers comp claim last year (First one in 5 years of trading), and now our carrier has advised they will not renew the policy. They are claiming that because we do tree trimming they are not willing to cover us. We only do a small amount if this work, generally palm trees once a year. Has anyone else had similar problems regarding coverage for tree work? Can anyone suggest an insurance company we could try?
JMarshall,

I would be happy to take a look at it for you. We have access to over 35 insurance carriers and also have a sister company that is a third party administrator for workers' compensation claims. This allows us to handle policies for businesses that have had bad experiences with claims in the past.

Here is an article with the 2010 workers' compensation insurance rates in Florida.

We also specialize in insurance for landscapers and are very familiar with class codes 9102 and 0042 and how those should be correctly used to control your premium costs.

You will find that the rates in Florida between insurance carriers are the same because they are set by the state. The policy must be rated correctly and there is also a difference in service and other pricing options between insurance carriers. Let me know how I can help with information and if you would like a comparative insurance quote.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ever look into a payroll company to do "employee leasing" my cousin uses one and loves it. They take care of everything from payroll to workmans comp to w-2 and 1099 ect...
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Professional Employer Organizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
ever look into a payroll company to do "employee leasing" my cousin uses one and loves it. They take care of everything from payroll to workmans comp to w-2 and 1099 ect...
Professional Employer Organizations (PEO's, payroll companies, or employee leasing as it is sometimes called) can be very helpful to some businesses, especially those in industries with higher workers' compensation rates. The problem with these companies is that they are not regulated, so many of them are not run properly and go out of business in a few years. Some even evade taxes and get into bigger problems for companies insured through them.

For the ones run properly, they can be beneficial to landscapers when you can't find workers' compensation coverage in the marketplace and have to go to the FWCJU (Florida Workers Compensation Joint Underwriters Association). A better option to consider may be using a CPA or other payroll service that allows you to have your own workers' compensation policy. This allows you to build a good claims experience (often called an experience mod or modification factor). That will keep your rates lower in the long run and also avoid the administrative fees that are tacked on by PEO's.

With all of that being said, we do recommend PEO's to some of our clients and have helped with gather comparative PEO quotes. If you have some large ($500,000 or greater) claims, then it is helpful for landscapers. But since the current work comp rates are so low for landscapers, it may still be better to have your own policy. We moved 3 landscaping businesses in Florida away from PEO's in January and set them up with their own workers' compensation policies and all three of them were very thankful.

If you are interested in reading more, please check out this article about the downside to having workers compensation insurance through a PEO.

I hope that helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further questions or if any of you reading this thread have workers compensation in Florida through a PEO and are looking for comparative quotes on having your own policy and doing payroll in house or using a regular payroll company.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarshall View Post
my rates for Niten Lawn Service is around 5%,my tree Service (Niten Services LLC )rates are 43.7% .was the claim on tree work?
I keep both separate
6 tralers+more stuff my wife calls it a junk yard.
no job to large more Toys
added to my collection .2 big orange trucks XT55
hi ranger ,carlton 3500 stump grinder,woodchuckwc17
Montana 555 and a truck load of tools
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Workers Comp Article in PRO Magazine

Here is a link to an article I wrote for PRO Magazine about ways landscape maintenance buisnesses can reduce their workers compensation costs:

Lower your Workers' Compensation Costs

I thought all of you might enjoy checking it out. It has some practical ways to audit your own policies and also take a long term approach to keeping premiums low by doing what you can to avoid workplace injuries.

Let me know your thoughts about it or if you have any questions.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWise Landscapers View Post
JMarshall,

I would be happy to take a look at it for you. We have access to over 35 insurance carriers and also have a sister company that is a third party administrator for workers' compensation claims. This allows us to handle policies for businesses that have had bad experiences with claims in the past.

Here is an article with the 2010 workers' compensation insurance rates in Florida.

We also specialize in insurance for landscapers and are very familiar with class codes 9102 and 0042 and how those should be correctly used to control your premium costs.

You will find that the rates in Florida between insurance carriers are the same because they are set by the state. The policy must be rated correctly and there is also a difference in service and other pricing options between insurance carriers. Let me know how I can help with information and if you would like a comparative insurance quote.

Thanks
What other states do you work in/for?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What other states do you work in/for?
JayD,

I am licensed in about 20 states, but we currently only provide insurance in Florida. We can write the other states, but only do so if our clients expand their operations and are based out of Florida.

We plan on opening up to write insurance throughout the southeast in the next year or so. We don't want to rush into those other markets before we are confident that we represent all the best insurance carriers that operate in those states and we can offer the best rates to our clients. We are very confident about this in Florida, so that's why we are sticking to our expertise in the landscaping industry down here. I will make an announcement to let you know when we expand into other states and your home state of Indiana.

I would still like the opportunity to assist your business and any other landscaping guys outside of Florida. I write the articles on our website so that they will be applicable to lawn care and landscaping businesses all over the United States. If you would like for me to take a look at your current insurance policies or get my opinion on comparing quotes you received, please do not hesitate to ask. I specialize in insurance for landscapers and want to be a resource to help you understand the insurance options available for your business.

Thank you