Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
per yard = bye bye quality.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceman View Post
Here's an idea. pay a low hourly wage, but also pay a good "quality bonus" each week. Maybe $4-5 per hour bonus. To qualify for the bonus work must be completed on time, no complaints, and no damaged equipment. Or something similar. Of course if your help can't hit the "quality bonus" regularly they will leave on their own because of the low pay, or you will need to replace them with better people since you want them to collect the bonus.
At first this sounded like a good idea. I do this with my snow removal guys in winter. If they show up for every snow fall and are still with me at the end of the season, and have not been fired for a preformance issue, they get $5 for every hour they worked on snow removal for the entire winter season.

The ONLY problem I see with this is.. What if something happens, like train blocks road for 20 min, or something breaks and they fixed it on-site. Then your own bonus, turns into your employees going as fast as they can to finish, not doing a quality job.

If I was an employee with a system like this, I would feel like someone i always on top of me also.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
OrganicsMaine OrganicsMaine is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yarmouth Maine
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
At first this sounded like a good idea. I do this with my snow removal guys in winter. If they show up for every snow fall and are still with me at the end of the season, and have not been fired for a preformance issue, they get $5 for every hour they worked on snow removal for the entire winter season.

The ONLY problem I see with this is.. What if something happens, like train blocks road for 20 min, or something breaks and they fixed it on-site. Then your own bonus, turns into your employees going as fast as they can to finish, not doing a quality job.

If I was an employee with a system like this, I would feel like someone i always on top of me also.
If the train thing happened, a simple phone call would cover them. Same with the broken equipment. If they are somewhat responsible and coherent, there is no excuse for no communication.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
clydebusa's Avatar
clydebusa clydebusa is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 1,642
If they don't perform fire, hire new and see how it goes. I have 6 men and in the last 7 years the turnover has been 18 individuals. When I let one go the work level goes up.
And they know I am serious (period). You can't always be a good guy!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
If the train thing happened, a simple phone call would cover them. Same with the broken equipment. If they are somewhat responsible and coherent, there is no excuse for no communication.
I would not want my employees to call me every time they get stuck behind a train, or something brakes that they are able to fix, or they had to stop and put a band-aid on a bloody finger. I'm running a business, I'm not babysitting.

I'm at a house talking to a potential customer trying to get them to agree to a $10,000 landscaping job, and my phone rings and my employee interrupts me to tell me there is a train and that's why they will be back later.

Keep time sheets, get GPS, and don't worry about your employees constantly. If you hired good people, they will do what they gotta do, and if you think something is up, look up the GPS records.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 AM
OrganicsMaine OrganicsMaine is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yarmouth Maine
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
I would not want my employees to call me every time they get stuck behind a train, or something brakes that they are able to fix, or they had to stop and put a band-aid on a bloody finger. I'm running a business, I'm not babysitting.

I'm at a house talking to a potential customer trying to get them to agree to a $10,000 landscaping job, and my phone rings and my employee interrupts me to tell me there is a train and that's why they will be back later.

Keep time sheets, get GPS, and don't worry about your employees constantly. If you hired good people, they will do what they gotta do, and if you think something is up, look up the GPS records.
In the context of snow removal, which is how i took your original post, a call into the office if someone is going to be late, just as a heads up is one thing. If the crew is mowing lawns, and they get stuck at a train, not as big of a deal. Also, if a plow breaks, it is usually a bigger problem than when a line trimmer or mower breaks down. Different level of urgency of service etc. So if one of my plows goes down, then it usually warrants a call.

Overall, there are some things that will put a hiccup into any system, however, it all averages out in the end, and if the crews are working hard, their results will show it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
In the context of snow removal, which is how i took your original post, a call into the office if someone is going to be late, just as a heads up is one thing. If the crew is mowing lawns, and they get stuck at a train, not as big of a deal. Also, if a plow breaks, it is usually a bigger problem than when a line trimmer or mower breaks down. Different level of urgency of service etc. So if one of my plows goes down, then it usually warrants a call.

Overall, there are some things that will put a hiccup into any system, however, it all averages out in the end, and if the crews are working hard, their results will show it.
Agreed
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Drew87's Avatar
Drew87 Drew87 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Prince George, VA
Posts: 4
I just wanted to say, great topic and great replies!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
SchnabelLawnCare's Avatar
SchnabelLawnCare SchnabelLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 709
Very interesting ideas. Just subscribing.
__________________
Schnabel Lawn Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgshopboss View Post
Definitely the best horse I have ever hitched my wagon to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
employment , pay , performance

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.09884 seconds with 7 queries