Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Raped by Dealer...???

Hey, just wondering what you guys think about a bill Im getting from the dealer.

I just talked to the guy on the phone and he said a guy was "on it all morning" and figured out the problem which was an electrical drain from the brake box that I installed so no warranty involved I assume since he told me the price. He said they figured out what was wrong, replaced one froze up battery, and installed the brake box correctly for $575. So I know the batteries are expensive but I thought when they hooked the truck up to the computer it would point thwem straight to the problem with the brake box and the "all morning" thing shouldn't happen.

Im no mechanic so I didn't bother the guy but thought it sounded high so I thought I'd ask here first.

Let me know what you think.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the "computer" only points them to in the direction of the problem if a check engine light has been triggerd.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its fair its after market equipment that caused the issue. You have to pay by the hour. It shouldn't have taken him that long, but I don't know how far your truck is modified either. He/She is not familiar with the equipment or how it works adds time.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have upgraded to tow mirrors and the brake box, thats the extent of modifications.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you told them you installed a brake box then any half descent tech should have checked that first.

$575 is not that bad, if you told them you installed that box then you may be able to get them to come down on the price some, Id even ask why they did not check the box first if they knew that.

In the futrue I would just replace the battery yourself, it is easy and saves money. Id also find a tech that is good at electrical work, if it took this one all morning to figure it out and they knew you put in a brake box then it is on them for taking that long.

Also if the problem started after you installed the box and they knew this then they should have gone straight to the box.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wasn't going to replace anything myself because the truck is under waranty which translates to me as free. The box never crossed my mind and I never said anything to them about it. I'll ask them what their rate is and say "so X hours to figure that out?" But I dunno if its a bad price, it looks retarted to me but what do I know.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Electrical stuff is expensive. I had a short in my S10 and it was expensive. Chevy's have crappy wiring.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dont you have to sign an work order type before any work is done on any work over $250.00.I thought its a law all garage must have you sign it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont think here in NY. Never heard of it before. The problem is the work was warranty work until they discovered the source, and that it was my own fault at which point I think the work was over. He did call at that point and asked if I wanted them to install the box correctly and gave me this $575 figure. Sure its not warrantied, thats fine but the money seems stupid to find a drain and replace a battery. Then fixing the brake box wiring probably took 2 minutes.

I figure diagnosing- 1/2 hour?
New battery- 1/2 hour plus the cost of the battery.
wire brake box-nominal

=$575 WTF????
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
I dont think here in NY. Never heard of it before. The problem is the work was warranty work until they discovered the source, and that it was my own fault at which point I think the work was over. He did call at that point and asked if I wanted them to install the box correctly and gave me this $575 figure. Sure its not warrantied, thats fine but the money seems stupid to find a drain and replace a battery. Then fixing the brake box wiring probably took 2 minutes.

I figure diagnosing- 1/2 hour?
New battery- 1/2 hour plus the cost of the battery.
wire brake box-nominal

=$575 WTF????
Unless you really know the systems and how to acess everything Id say it would be more then a half hour to trouble shoot. Half hour for the battery might be a little on the high side.

Yeah I am sure fixing the box was no big deal, trouble shooting is what cost you. The problem is that if the truck throw's a code it often does not point right to the problem, if could say left banck rich, ok why is the left bank runing rich? Bad or wrong plugs? Computer issue? Injector issue?

I have found that if a problem comes up after I work on something that chanes are I messed something up, like when I installed a stereo once and the clock on it would never shut off, I hooked up one wire wrong, I fixed it and it turned off when the stereo went off.

If the dealer would have knwon about the box chances are it would have been around an hour total labor for everything but remember that just because it may take a half hour on the battery that chances are they will charge you for at least an hour, that is how the shop and tech make money.