Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
toomuchtime toomuchtime is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 255
Need some insight on compacting a pad

alright guys I need some help here. For those that dont know cali grading plans are HUGE pain the ass lol. Here it go's the short version lol I had a large pad graded on MY land county says we moved to much dirt must provide minor grading plan and compaction report. We provide the compaction report enigneer does the grading plan. go threw all the thousend of dollars planting, irrigation,swell ditchs crazy erosion control contraptions required by state. to the tune of about 60k after all said and done on a PAD!!!! Think were done. NOPE.

My property had a small existing pad on it (a few acres away from the house) when we bought it. Its about 100 x 75 maybe a 4 foot cut and fill its been there for about 30 years i use it for parking trailer (not a structure) so on so on. Well the county is now saying they want a compaction test on it even though it was existing and I never plan to build on it. My engineer says it will not pass i gurantee it. So he wants it regraded and compacted to get us threw. Now my question. (Sorry for the long story). Im getting ready to purchase t300 for the property and some small side jobs ive never done a pad ( the other was done by excavtion company with a d4) is the t300 a big enough machine to do the job compaction wise. I REALLY dont want to have to get the d4 out here again lol. If the t300 will work how do you compact with a vibratory wheel or is there a better way. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject and THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE INPUT!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Scag48's Avatar
Scag48 Scag48 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 6,061
Cut the pad with your machine and get a roller, no big deal. That's a 1 day job if you take your sweet time, you should be able to buck enough dirt with that machine by lunch time to take an hour long lunch and less than an hour in the afternoon to roll it.
__________________

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtime View Post
alright guys I need some help here. For those that dont know cali grading plans are HUGE pain the ass lol. Here it go's the short version lol I had a large pad graded on MY land county says we moved to much dirt must provide minor grading plan and compaction report. We provide the compaction report enigneer does the grading plan. go threw all the thousend of dollars planting, irrigation,swell ditchs crazy erosion control contraptions required by state. to the tune of about 60k after all said and done on a PAD!!!! Think were done. NOPE.

My property had a small existing pad on it (a few acres away from the house) when we bought it. Its about 100 x 75 maybe a 4 foot cut and fill its been there for about 30 years i use it for parking trailer (not a structure) so on so on. Well the county is now saying they want a compaction test on it even though it was existing and I never plan to build on it. My engineer says it will not pass i gurantee it. So he wants it regraded and compacted to get us threw. Now my question. (Sorry for the long story). Im getting ready to purchase t300 for the property and some small side jobs ive never done a pad ( the other was done by excavtion company with a d4) is the t300 a big enough machine to do the job compaction wise. I REALLY dont want to have to get the d4 out here again lol. If the t300 will work how do you compact with a vibratory wheel or is there a better way. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject and THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE INPUT!!!!!
What type soil is it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
93turbo's Avatar
93turbo 93turbo is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: marengo, Oh
Posts: 482
buy the biggest trackhoe you can get and head to the state line and start digging a trench. As soon as it breaks off that will cure most of your problems LOL
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Omran&Turbo Omran&Turbo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
Cut the pad with your machine and get a roller, no big deal. That's a 1 day job if you take your sweet time, you should be able to buck enough dirt with that machine by lunch time to take an hour long lunch and less than an hour in the afternoon to roll it.
I could not say it any better. agree 100% with scag48
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
toomuchtime toomuchtime is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 255
Thank you guys for the help! That's What I wanted to hear! I'm pretty efficent
with the bobcat just never done compaction. But would love to learn.I'm not sure
on the soil type.Yes California is a pain in the ass!!!!!!!! Does any one have any
experince with bobcat vibratory roller?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
MOREDIRT MOREDIRT is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 117
Rent a BIG pad foot roller you might just be able to spend a day rolling around on it to get it to pass.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Fieldman12 Fieldman12 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Vienna OHIO
Posts: 1,504
Hmm, I'm taking it he only has issues with the pad that has been there for 30 years. Granted I have not seen the soil that is there to know how it is but I dont see how after setting that long you gonna get it in any better shape. Anyway you could have a couple other professional opinions on this before going to all that trouble? I think I would have someone test that small piece first even if it is a different company before I go through all of that. You said it also is maybe a 4' cut and fill. I would assume all of the water does drain away fron it at least I hope. I really think you should get a professional excavators opinion. Not to knock an engineer but then again I think I would get someone that specializes in compaction first before I took his word. The stuff that is parked on it? How does it appear to be sitting as far as sinking goes?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM
bobcatuser's Avatar
bobcatuser bobcatuser is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtime View Post
Thank you guys for the help! That's What I wanted to hear! I'm pretty efficent
with the bobcat just never done compaction. But would love to learn.I'm not sure
on the soil type.Yes California is a pain in the ass!!!!!!!! Does any one have any
experince with bobcat vibratory roller?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a Bobcat roller that gets used with my T320. The key to using the roller is to match the hydraulic flow from the machine to the roller.

Take a look at this thread it's all about compaction.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=bobcat+roller
__________________
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”
(Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
toomuchtime toomuchtime is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 255
Fieldman: my thoughts exactly. Im going to have a excavation company out today to see his thoughts.The problem with this is around here work is scarce and it is hard to find honest companys right now. If he says no it doesnt need re graded he doesnt get paid. The pad is COMPACTED no sinking hard as a rock. My enigneer on this project has been dead on throughout this process his suggestions have worked.From his stand point he is saying that long ago when it was originally graded were I live was just rural land and there is no way it is compacted correctly or they would have paid and got it certified as the house pad was.

bobcatuser is roller made by bobcat?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.10286 seconds with 7 queries