Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on sod farms in Oregon

Hey just wondering what your opinions of the sod farms in Oregon.

We originally only used JB sod ordered through Home Depot and think its good quality.

I had to do a tall fescue job this year so I started using sod from Grower Direct. I kept using them because they are so much cheaper -- only .20 sq/ft and they're pretty close to Portland so its easy to pick up and save on delivery. After doing a few jobs I've been very disappointed with the quality of their turf.

What do you think of Kuenzi Turf and Oregon Turf and Tree's sod? Both are cheaper than JB, but I want to make sure the turf is still high quality.

Any other farms I'm missing?

Thanks, just trying to figure out which farm I'll use this year.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Kuenzi, but generally go with JB because the service has been good, their number happens to be on my services list, and the price difference is so minor and inconsequential.

Hope you get lots of lawn installs.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In what way were you disappointed? Insects? Grubs? Weeds? Disease? Pale color? Fall apart? Did you lay it down promptly? Water it well? Sod heats up and dies quick in warm weather. Did you ask them what the problem was?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
In what way were you disappointed? Insects? Grubs? Weeds? Disease? Pale color? Fall apart? Did you lay it down promptly? Water it well? Sod heats up and dies quick in warm weather. Did you ask them what the problem was?
A few times their sod did have weeds. I've never encountered a single weed from other sod farms.

Their rye sod has been pretty thin and is definitely not on par with JB.

Grower Direct is the only sod farm in Oregon that sells fescue sod. Over the summer I did a few fescue jobs and was pretty happy with the turf.

I ordered more at the end of the year and it was VERY thin discolored.

I've never had even the slightest problem with JB, but Grower Direct has been hit or miss. From now on I'm going to pay more for JB and not risk it.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

We exclusivly use Oregon Turf. I am always happy with their quality of grass and they are very professional. i say try them out and see what you think.

Portland Landscaper
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=tamo;3357802]Hey just wondering what your opinions of the sod farms in Oregon.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to update that I have used Grower Direct since my original post and have had great success with them.

I was too harsh with my original post and critique of their turf. I've had no problems since then and they have always been great to work with.

Delivery drivers can sometimes be less than accommodating, but Micah is outstanding and always goes above and beyond to drop the sod where ever it is needed to make the job easier.