Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat Tool Cat

So I am thinking about buying a Tool Cat 5600T this spring. It would be used for loading mulch, running a brushcat, and some spraying....snow removal...ect I just wondered if anyone out there had one, and maybe some pros and cons.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a toolcat turbo. It's a cool machine. It is a bit slow for loading materials and you can't dump very high but with a farm grapple or 4 n 1 bucket it does pretty good. I use mine mostly for loading and unloading bobcat attachments off my flatbed and for post holes and carrying large hay bales. I have used it extensively with the brushcat. I do not like it because it makes the whole thing LONG or at least it feels that way. I think it would work better with a flail. I have an older brushcat and the new model might work better, though. Spraying would be good. It can handle a fairly heavy tank in the back and it is fun to drive. Can't help you on the snow removal. I live in S. Texas!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

they rock for snow removal...we have plow, broom, scraper, pusher, spreader, and blower for ours.

the only downside to the new machines is they have a flat bottom and get stuck really easy.

i agree with the bushhog statement that the machine is really long. I would love to try out a flail. the auger also works great. again the don't lift very high, we use an ejector bucket or 4n1 to get a little higher.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess what I am trying to do is make one money do 2 jobs....The other option was to buy a S205, and a Kubota RTV900. My main concern was that he Toolcat was much heavier than the Kubota for utility work. Guess it all depends on how work goes this year!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I have a toolcat turbo. It's a cool machine. It is a bit slow for loading materials and you can't dump very high but with a farm grapple or 4 n 1 bucket it does pretty good. I use mine mostly for loading and unloading bobcat attachments off my flatbed and for post holes and carrying large hay bales. I have used it extensively with the brushcat. I do not like it because it makes the whole thing LONG or at least it feels that way. I think it would work better with a flail. I have an older brushcat and the new model might work better, though. Spraying would be good. It can handle a fairly heavy tank in the back and it is fun to drive. Can't help you on the snow removal. I live in S. Texas!

What kind of fuel usage do you see with your toolcat?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

i don't know the specific problems but the company i work for as well as the school i go too both had a handful of them and they were always breaking down so they got rid of them
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightLawnCareInc View Post
What kind of fuel usage do you see with your toolcat?
very good unless I'm running high flow. I only use high flow for auger, though. I did use it on brushcat but it mows okay without.

I think the 56 hp motor is a good, reliable motor and you will be happy with fuel usage. You can always carry a jerry can in the back!

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craaaig View Post
i don't know the specific problems but the company i work for as well as the school i go too both had a handful of them and they were always breaking down so they got rid of them
what year? What did they use them for?

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craaaig View Post
That's interesting....so far the people that I have talked to say no problems....anyone else out there have problems?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightLawnCareInc View Post
That's interesting....so far the people that I have talked to say no problems....anyone else out there have problems?
I had a spring/shock go bad and busted a hydraulic line in a tough spot. Other than that, no problems yet...knock on wood! I have a late '05 B series. Hoping the drive motors problems were fixed by then. My machine was one of the last ones built before C series production and I have about 600 hours.
The only two complaints I have for toolcat for what I use it for is lack of traction and rough ride. I hear the new D series is a better ride.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing