Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the 7.3 V8 psd get average gas milage at best. If you wan't a diesel with good gas milage, i suggest a cummins, because their inline 6's.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

You must have a 460 in your F-250 if your burning that amount of fuel

If you want a Ford diesel a 95-97 OBS Fords are not too bad.

The ultimate fuel mileage truck is a cabover with a 4 banger diesel not big on speed but get good mpg.

A 6.9 IDI is slow as mollasis and a 7.3 IDI isn't any better.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
You must have a 460 in your F-250 if your burning that amount of fuel

If you want a Ford diesel a 95-97 OBS Fords are not too bad.

The ultimate fuel mileage truck is a cabover with a 4 banger diesel not big on speed but get good mpg.

A 6.9 IDI is slow as mollasis and a 7.3 IDI isn't any better.
Cabovers are classic! I love 'em!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Nope, my truck is a 5.8 351 windsor EFI. I have had 2 of these trucks, one auto and one manual. No matter how much you tune em, the type of driving and drag I have on my trailer and dump bed, you still get 9 mpg at best average. Well, heres an update on the truck...it needs a brake booster, a hood, two tires, vinyl carpet (it has no carpet at all currently), a new seat, the gear indicator doesnt work, headliners fallen down, turn signal flasher is sporadic at best (electrical issue?), windshield wiper knob is missing, it has some weird aftermarket turn signal strapped to the steering column, the holes in the bed are pretty big (has grass growing in the bed and moss in-between the dually fenders/body), has the dirtiest running engine I have ever seen, and its the less desirable 3 speed automatic. I'm starting to think its not worth 1200 bucks for me...probably more like 700. Plus the posts on here lead me to believe it might not be good for the engine to use it the way I do for this year. I wish I had money for a powerstroke, but 1-2k is all I have. Maybe I will just buy a little Ford Ranger and use it as my second truck(hauling spray pesticide, bidding jobs, etc...) and keep my f250 for towing instead.
Two Honda HRC216 walk-behinds
2-Stihl KM130R' Kombi's w/ string trimmer,hedger pole-saw,+edger
Stihl MS210 chainsaw
HS81T + HS81R hedgetrimmers
BG 86 blower
Earthway fertilizer spreader + Sprayer
and a bunch of other equipment...
Pesticide Q.A.L.#121767
30 Weekly Accounts, Solo Operation
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

As much as I love my diesel (cummins) I wouldn't suggest buying a diesel for a lawn truck unless your hauling a lot of weight. As of yesterday, we're running 3 trucks, two gas and my diesel. Eventually we'll phase out the half ton gas truck for a 1 ton dually, but the 3/4 gas will stay as the lawn truck. We use two trucks for landscaping and one for lawns. We end up making a lot of stops in my diesel anyways but I've already replaced the started in the 8 months I've had it. Who knows how many miles I'm taking off it's life though.

Also, if you're buying any kind of diesel for $1200.00, you're just asking for a money pit. I paid $4900 for mine 8 months ago and it's already had around $3000 in work done and is going in on Monday for another 2k of work. I think with a diesel you can either pay $15,000 up front for a nice one or pay $15,000 over time in repairs (not to mention the cost of down time if it's your only truck). Hope this helps- Sam

SEMPER FI
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowinginEureka View Post
Nope, my truck is a 5.8 351 windsor EFI. I have had 2 of these trucks, one auto and one manual. No matter how much you tune em, the type of driving and drag I have on my trailer and dump bed, you still get 9 mpg at best average. Well, heres an update on the truck...it needs a brake booster, a hood, two tires, vinyl carpet (it has no carpet at all currently), a new seat, the gear indicator doesnt work, headliners fallen down, turn signal flasher is sporadic at best (electrical issue?), windshield wiper knob is missing, it has some weird aftermarket turn signal strapped to the steering column, the holes in the bed are pretty big (has grass growing in the bed and moss in-between the dually fenders/body), has the dirtiest running engine I have ever seen, and its the less desirable 3 speed automatic. I'm starting to think its not worth 1200 bucks for me...probably more like 700. Plus the posts on here lead me to believe it might not be good for the engine to use it the way I do for this year. I wish I had money for a powerstroke, but 1-2k is all I have. Maybe I will just buy a little Ford Ranger and use it as my second truck(hauling spray pesticide, bidding jobs, etc...) and keep my f250 for towing instead.
With those kind of problems I would pass on it. If your going to have to spend more to fix it than what you originally paid for it than it isn't worth it. Save your money, if you can, and look for a 94 - 97 Ford Powerstroke or 89'+ Dodge Cummins of any year.
Stihl BR600
Stihl FS90R
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ok so currently I have a gas truck and its eating me alive on gas. My gas bill is 500-800 a month just for this truck, I drive 1000 miles a month. The truck gets 8-9 mpg, which for having the drag of a dump bed and towing a trailer...Not too shabby. I drive 50% highway, rest is as you all know, starting the truck and driving to a new client once every half hour to an hour all day long. So Im wondering, would a diesel be a good idea? I found an 86 F350 diesel for 1200$ with nothing wrong with it other than some rust in the bed. Im gonna put my dump bed in it, so who cares? But Ive heard starting and stopping is bad for diesels because they cant warm up properly? Would that be a problem for what we do? The truck gets warmed up on my 20 minute drive into town...but would it stay warm enough to be started and stopped every half hour to an hour without harming it?

how much is gas by you? 1,000 miles a month at 8mpg and a $500 per month fuel bill on this truck comes out to be around 4 bucks. If the bill is 800 a month fuel is around six. 8-9 mpg I don't think is bad...especially if pulling a trailer. my chevy with the 8L gas only gets 6-7 depending on what I'm pulling and if I'm really lucky with the tailgate down and cruise control going on hte highway I can get 10...well like 9.7 but i like to say 10 so its a dbl digit.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Gas here is about 4.00-4.49...on avg. Right now I think its like 4.09? Anyhow. yeah 8-9 isnt bad, but even 1 mpg would save me 50-75 bucks a month alone. 2 mpg would be 100-150. My old boss had the exact same setup as I and with a 94 Ford f250 ext cab automatic diesel(no turbo) he got 15-17 mpg. Granted he towed only about 3/4 of the time, but still! Im juts going to save my money, that one has a few more problems than I want. I also do not think Im going to get a pre powerstroke diesel. Thanks!
Two Honda HRC216 walk-behinds
2-Stihl KM130R' Kombi's w/ string trimmer,hedger pole-saw,+edger
Stihl MS210 chainsaw
HS81T + HS81R hedgetrimmers
BG 86 blower
Earthway fertilizer spreader + Sprayer
and a bunch of other equipment...
Pesticide Q.A.L.#121767
30 Weekly Accounts, Solo Operation
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ok so currently I have a gas truck and its eating me alive on gas. My gas bill is 500-800 a month just for this truck, I drive 1000 miles a month. The truck gets 8-9 mpg, which for having the drag of a dump bed and towing a trailer...Not too shabby. I drive 50% highway, rest is as you all know, starting the truck and driving to a new client once every half hour to an hour all day long. So Im wondering, would a diesel be a good idea? I found an 86 F350 diesel for 1200$ with nothing wrong with it other than some rust in the bed. Im gonna put my dump bed in it, so who cares? But Ive heard starting and stopping is bad for diesels because they cant warm up properly? Would that be a problem for what we do? The truck gets warmed up on my 20 minute drive into town...but would it stay warm enough to be started and stopped every half hour to an hour without harming it?

I would keep the gas truck. I had a 07 Chevy with the small V-8 and was pulling a 16" enclosed trailer and was getting 8.50 mpg. The truck sucked at pulling the trailer! I could barely keep it at 70mph on the freeway. I traded it in for a 06 F-250 Crewcab with the 6.0 Powerstroke. My new truck pulls the trailer like nothings back there, but I only get between 9.25 and 9.75 mpg. I thought for sure I would get way better on gas milage.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins343 View Post
the 7.3 V8 psd get average gas milage at best. If you wan't a diesel with good gas milage, i suggest a cummins, because their inline 6's.
Well of course a powerstroke wont get good gas mileage..its a diesel! And they dont get average fuel mileage. 7.3's do well.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com