Register free!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pool waterfall

Waterfalls going into swimming pools..........I've got a job I'm looking at where the pool has been roughed in. Its a stone boulder waterfall. Normal ponds/waterfalls in someones yard, no problem but I've never done this. There's PVC plumbing setup for it.

My main areas of concern is the ledge of the pool and the plumbing. Clarification on this is appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Waterfalls going into swimming pools..........I've got a job I'm looking at where the pool has been roughed in. Its a stone boulder waterfall. Normal ponds/waterfalls in someones yard, no problem but I've never done this. There's PVC plumbing setup for it.

My main areas of concern is the ledge of the pool and the plumbing. Clarification on this is appreciated!

Thanks.
Is the pool wall poured cement or a steel wall w/ a fiberglass coping? Also is there a separate pump for the water feature. Check out my waterfall thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=297545 those pools had poured walls.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, poured wall.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomass View Post
Yes, poured wall.
Depending on the size of the boulders you are going to use, i attach them right to the coping w/ a thick bedding of type s and a couple shovels of portland mixed. Sometimes i have a hard time getting straight portland to stick to the moss rock. Really lg boulders i pour a cement footing along the pool wall to extend the pad. I use an aquascape biofalls to control the initial spill and if the pool company left you a 2'' line you're ready to go. Some guys use cement in the waterfall, i'd don't. Can't trust it. I build it just like a regular water feature, liner, foam, silicone and gravel. Hopefully they have a separate pump for the waterfall, because one pump running the whole pool will take water pressure from the waterfall. Take that into consideration when estimating the size.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks a lot. My concern was how the stone sat with the pool wall. The area is reinforced to support the stone and pending what size stone we end up will require a footer. Do you have pictures of this that you've done?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

These are the only pics that i have(during). Most of the time i'm working, no time to take pics. But there's no way i was cleaning the pool side joints in March. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Twitchy,

What size auxilary pump do you usually use? Let's say with a big signature biofalls set back 6-8 feet and 3-4 feet wide? Also how and where is the pump hooked up or is it connected to the pool piping? I'm with tthomas on this and would like to get more pool jobs.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
Twitchy,

What size auxilary pump do you usually use? Let's say with a big signature biofalls set back 6-8 feet and 3-4 feet wide? Also how and where is the pump hooked up or is it connected to the pool piping? I'm with tthomas on this and would like to get more pool jobs.
I don't recall the gph on the pumps, but the job that is in the pic had 1 3/4 hp pump on a 2'' line. It blasts the water into the biofalls. You'd be able to create a monster of a waterfall and have no shortage of water volume. As for the location of the pump, it's usually mounted next to the main pool pump and it pulls the water from a separate bottom drain in the deep end. It's also wired by itself so it doesn't run w/ the entire pool.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
I don't recall the gph on the pumps, but the job that is in the pic had 1 3/4 hp pump on a 2'' line. It blasts the water into the biofalls. You'd be able to create a monster of a waterfall and have no shortage of water volume. As for the location of the pump, it's usually mounted next to the main pool pump and it pulls the water from a separate bottom drain in the deep end. It's also wired by itself so it doesn't run w/ the entire pool.
So basically this set up needs to be constructed before the pool is built. As in you could not add a waterfall to an existing pool since you need that drain at the bottom? I'm sure there are ways to tie one into an existing pool though. Does the chlorine or in some pools salt water affect the pumps at all?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
So basically this set up needs to be constructed before the pool is built. As in you could not add a waterfall to an existing pool since you need that drain at the bottom? I'm sure there are ways to tie one into an existing pool though. Does the chlorine or in some pools salt water affect the pumps at all?
The pump is just a secondary pool pump, so the chlorine or salt doesn't damage anything. This yr i had a customer redo a 15yr old pool (liner and plumbing) and they had a another bottom drain put in so they can have two 4' sheer descent installed in a raised wall. You can install a waterfall on the pools main pump, but the water pressure is significantly reduced. Having everything installed before hand does make the job go easier for sure.