Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who tows a gooseneck? does it buck back and forth?

Am i doing something wrong? Is my extendable gooseneck tongue down too far and has too much play? Its a bulldog 20k 4" square coupler, its upgraded over the 12k one or whatever was standard.

The trailer is a down 2 earth 32' 14k with i think 8" channel beam and 10" channel beam up front and 8" behind the tires.

Its around 5200-5700lbs empty, "guessing".

When its empty it rides ok, but not much tongue weight for the bed of the dually F350.

When i put anything of weight on it, 5000lbs of salt on skids or tractor or 2 cars etc.... when i take off, you feel it jolt, like something is lose. I swore after i got it, i had to check the ball 9times because i thought it was lose.

When you hit the brakes, it bucks back and forth and almost feels uncontrollable. Ive tried NO trailer brakes, just truck brakes, seems like you feel the first jolt of the trailer flexing closer to the truck but then its smooth. With trailer brakes " a lot", if bucks harder but then evens out fast.

With normal braking on the trailer brakes, it bucks back and forth a lot, im assuming the flexing of the trailer stopping more or less than the truck brakes?

Its pulled by an 06 f350 diesel, built in brake ford controller like our other trucks.

I dont feel anything of this sort with any normal bumper pull trailers, does it need more reinforcement up front or something? Here are some pictures.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what is going on but I have never had a goose neck buck back and forth. Thats not how it should be. I would say it has to be in the mounting of the hitch to the truck. I can't think of anywhere else for there to be slack unless at the point where the ball and trailer meet if you don't have it latched. But that depends on what kind of latch you have.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChrap View Post
I'm not sure what is going on but I have never had a goose neck buck back and forth. Thats not how it should be. I would say it has to be in the mounting of the hitch to the truck. I can't think of anywhere else for there to be slack unless at the point where the ball and trailer meet if you don't have it latched. But that depends on what kind of latch you have.
Well i know exactly what your talking about. I know after i lower it onto the ball, i lock the "horseshoe" thing into place and lower the pin down to lock it with the handle. its stiff there, no slack.

The ball is also bolted to a 1.5" thick steel plate thats welded to both main frame rails, i was told by a hitch installer that although its not removeable, that its the strongest you can get because its going to bust the truck in half before it rips off the gooseneck ball holder receiver part ....

Ill get a closeup of the coupler part...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Then I am not sure what the problem would be. I'm don't agree with the hitch installer, welding to a truck frame is not the best idea. Avoid welding to hardened steal whenever you can. This is a case where extremely large grade 8 bolts should be used. What if it has nothing to do with the trailer but whit the weight. You said you don't notice it with a tag along trailer but you probably don't hit that 5k weight with that. Maybe a broken shock mount, spring mount, u-bolt on the axle or anything in the drive line that could have slack and be moved when loaded up with weight. Maybe even a transmission mount.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChrap View Post
Then I am not sure what the problem would be. I'm don't agree with the hitch installer, welding to a truck frame is not the best idea. Avoid welding to hardened steal whenever you can. This is a case where extremely large grade 8 bolts should be used. What if it has nothing to do with the trailer but whit the weight. You said you don't notice it with a tag along trailer but you probably don't hit that 5k weight with that. Maybe a broken shock mount, spring mount, u-bolt on the axle or anything in the drive line that could have slack and be moved when loaded up with weight. Maybe even a transmission mount.
well we pull 14k dump trailers and the enclosed trailer is usually 8-9k during the summer months, 12k limit. the 32' gooseneck is 14k but literally you can probably get 4-6k alone on the tongue on the weight in back of the truck.

I wish i could stand on the trailer and have someone drive it down the road to see if i see anything flexing or moving when hitting the brakes.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairfreak98ss View Post
well we pull 14k dump trailers and the enclosed trailer is usually 8-9k during the summer months, 12k limit. the 32' gooseneck is 14k but literally you can probably get 4-6k alone on the tongue on the weight in back of the truck.

I wish i could stand on the trailer and have someone drive it down the road to see if i see anything flexing or moving when hitting the brakes.
Find a country road and try it out. Don't go too fast, though.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine tows a 30' gooeseneck with tandem 10k axles and it does the same thing, even if you hit bumps while towing, it will really knock back and forth. He tows a 50D excavator on it with his 08 F250 diesel. I think its just the fact its such a heavy trailer for the truck, it did the exact same thing with my truck when I towed that trailer, but when I pull the 18' gooseneck, its fine, same with his truck.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar trailer for a few years and never had that issue. Have you been by your dealer?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We had a 24' that I pulled loaded with three different trucks and never had a problem like this.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think you have to much tongue weight when you have the trailer loaded. For example with your pic of the mustang. Have you tryed putting your load more over the axles to keep more weight on the trailer axles instead of on the truck.