Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
Do you think you have to much tongue weight when you have the trailer loaded. For example with your pic of the mustang. Have you tryed putting your load more over the axles to keep more weight on the trailer axles instead of on the truck.
Its a gooseneck though, that really shouldnt effect it..

I'd take a look at the axles and hangers on the trailer. Sounds like something is moving around causing the trailer to buck like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
Do you think you have to much tongue weight when you have the trailer loaded. For example with your pic of the mustang. Have you tryed putting your load more over the axles to keep more weight on the trailer axles instead of on the truck.
yes and no, but theoretically you should be able to take the 14k the trailer axles hold, add tongue weight of well lets just say a dually f350 like in the pictures could easily handle 5-6k on the tongue.. your close to 20k loaded "correctly".

I can pull our 09 deere tractor all the way to the front, which is roughly 7500lbs, and the truck isnt straining with the weight. I guess i never tried towing down the road with the 7500lb tractor all the way to the front or all the way dead center on top of the axles...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Its a gooseneck though, that really shouldnt effect it..

I'd take a look at the axles and hangers on the trailer. Sounds like something is moving around causing the trailer to buck like that?
ok, will do. I assumed that too, no matter where the weight is, especially when i take the trailer brakes out of the equation "off", it should feel like part of the truck, not like towing a 5500lb pissed off rattlesnake down the road
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 22' low boy style gooseneck like that, and empty it does pull kind of rough, I feel it a lot more on my F250 super cab long bed than I do on my 250 Crew Cab short bed for some reason. Load it up though and it's not bad. Every gooseneck I have ever pulled has definately felt rougher towing than a bumper pull, but not enough to really complain about in the way yours sounds. Good luck.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A gooseneck will tow rougher and feel rougher because think about it, your actually pulling right in the middle of the frame. So your goin to feel the twists and jerks alot more..

And Ramair, thats just freakin puzzling to me. I've got no idea why its doing that. I'd go to a trailer place and see what they say..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My GN doesn't buck, only jerks when I take off, and that's from the slack between the king pin and jaw.
You might have a bad hitch set up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
A gooseneck will tow rougher and feel rougher because think about it, your actually pulling right in the middle of the frame. So your goin to feel the twists and jerks alot more..

And Ramair, thats just freakin puzzling to me. I've got no idea why its doing that. I'd go to a trailer place and see what they say..
Well the coupler 20k bulldog on the trailer says 2" and 5/16" ball, darned sure thats whats on the truck, because i got a special "black forged $50" 20k ball.

Unless the bulldog coupler is too big inside or are there balls bigger than this? haha

How many of your gooseneck couplers are adjustible like this one?
http://www.trailerparts4u.com/product/19-156
That would be awesome just to drop the thing down to hook up and go, ours you have to loser it by lowering the trailer onto the truck, pita.

ok sorry, its a 25k square Bulldog gooseneck coupler.. its ONLY adjustable by loosening the bolt, sliding it up and then re tightening it down... ours IS extend out quite a bit, but nothing more than other pictures ive seen online.

see picture on right side if its possible, the rusty part is where the factory had it when picked up, it was at least 8-10" away "higher" than the ball in the dually 4x4 06 f350 when we picked it up.

The problem arises from the jackstand, if i have it any more into the coupler than this, the jacktand woudl be way too close to the ground fully raised up. I "THINK" they should have put the jackstand, welded up higher on the frame than it is, it would eliminate the jacking issues.
Attached Images