Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

New Hydro walk behinds

How's it going? I am new to the business, this coming season will be my second year. I am going to upgrade my equipment during the offseason and need some advice from experienced people in the business. I started last year with my Papaw's 1971 Lawnboy push mower and some Stihl edgers and trimmers. Now I need to make the move and invest in something much larger. I am looking at hydro walk behind mowers. The new Scag Pro-V hydros are really nice, but a 52" is around the $6800 range. Also, I have seen that the Exmark hydro has come out with a ECS steering technology to compete with Scag's Pro-V. What are you guys using and should I invest in a new one or see if I can find a Hydro, floating deck pre-owned somewhere with a low mileage on it. I know the new ones come with a 3 year limited warranty. I appreciate your advice and good luck to all in the upcoming season.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I buy everything bigger than handheds used so your going to get a biased opinion but look for a good deal on a used one. Scan craigslist and the classifieds here right now. Prices will go up in the spring. Look for a used exmark, scag, or toro. Just make sure it has a turbo force if it's thr toro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

New (apples to apples) Scag's a better cutting machine. Not having to look back's always a plus
Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You have been out of it for awhile if the ECS is new to you!! I personally hate the ECS handles, as after using them for over an hour or so, my thumbs get numb, But many guys love the ECS on here, Ive only heard from about 2 other people that have the issue I do. I would like to try to new Hustler WBs, their controls look very comfortable, almost like motorcycle controls.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You not interested in a regular ZTR?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the ECS setup kills my hands.

feels awkward on hills.

i don't care for the new Scag proV and they seem to hard for the dealers to move around here.

good old pistol grips work fine for me.i can go all day with them.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For sure, just wondering. I was gonna say the grandstands are nice to ride and walk when you need to. The Exmark version is out this year too I believe.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would defiantly look for used (but that's just me), but why not buy a used ZTR or Stand-On? If you have the money, maybe you could buy a used Stand-On and a used 36" walk behind or something, instead of two new walk behinds. Check Craigslist/Lawsite for sale section, and shop around before you make a decision. Also, try to base you decision on dealer support rather than brand opinions of others, its sort of like... which is better Ford of Chevy.

Hope I could help.

God Bless you and all of those involved in the Earthquakes in Hadi (Hope you guys are praying for them)
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I am planning on moving to the piedmont of North Carolina, which is a foothills area of the state. This was my primary issue for possibly purchasing a walk behind for versatility and to be able to control it better. But what do yall think? Can a ZTR rider do the job? Also, "clean cut" brings up a good point. What about standups vs walk behinds with a sulky? Is there that big of a difference? Possibly the wb's are more versatile. I don't know. I appreciate yall's replies.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every walk behind around here is an Exmark, for a good reason.

I swear by the Turf Tracers and do not think you can beat them. I have owned a couple of them.

The ECS is AWESOME after you get used to them. Initially I did not like them, but after a few days I loved them and REFUSE to own any other walk behind besides Turf Tracers. They are the best built mower you can get.

I bought a Scag 52" "Ultimate" walk behind with the pistol grips(hydro, floating deck, etc) a couple of months ago and literally sold it two week after I bought it.

As for the the new Pro V controls, I have no experience with them. But I do not think that you can beat a Turf Tracer.

Just my experience.