Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2000, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TYPE OF EQUIPMENT TO BUY . COMPACT TRACTOR, SKID LOADER, OR WHAT. AFTER DOING A LANDSCAPE SHOW AND SEEING THE BIG COMPANYS USING TORO DINGOS TO BUILD THEIR LANDSCAPING PROJECTS , I REALLY LIKED THE SYSTEM. ITS SMALL GREAT FOR RESIDENTIAL JOBS,IM A ONE MAN LANDSCAPING CREW ME MYSELF AND I . I'VE BEEN RESEARCHING THE DIFFERENT COMPANYS. TORO DINGOS, RAMROD, KANGA, AND GRAVELY. WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE IF ANY , IN MY OPINION TORO IS LIKE DEERE YOU PAY FOR THE NAME. RAMROD IS ALL RIGHT , KANGA HAS MY INTEREST TO BAD I CAN'T GET TO THEIR WEB SITE WWW.KANGA-LOADER.COM IT WON"T COME UP. AND GRAVELY IS A GOOD PRICE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BUILT IN THE 1960'S. AT THE SHOW THEY WERE USING TORO'S AND GRAVELYS GRAVELY HAS A HONDA ENGINE SOMETHING I LIKE, AND THE PRICE IS GOOD. WWW.GRAVELY.COM. I GUESS WHAT I LIKE IS THAT ITS SMALL EASY TO HAUL (YOU DONT NEED A ONE TON TO PULL IT) AND IT WOULD MAKE ME MORE COMPETITIVE WITH OTHER CONTRACTORS. I ALREADY HAVE A FORD 8-N FOR GRADING AND NEED SOMETHING WITH A LOADER AND THE POST HOLE AUGER WOULD BE GREAT FOR PLANTING TREES AND SHRUBS ALONG WITH FENCING. IS THIS THE IDEAL MACHINE? IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE WHAT DO YOU HAVE? IS ONE BETTER THAN THE OTHERS? WHAT DO I LOOK FOR I ONE OF THESE? LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLIES JARRETT
Old 03-17-2000, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking into the mini's too. You talked about the gravely skidster, well, its exactly the same as the kanga. I think gravely bought into them or something. I don't know if gravely offers as many attachments as kanga does though, but I bet they are interchangeable. Also, I think gravely is running promotions for the skidster, so now might be the time to buy.<p>Also, I was wondering how the mini's work for paver installation. I get a lot of small paver walkway installs, and was wondering if the machine would be of help. With a tooth bucket, I was wondering if you could dig the walkway out with it. Seems like a good idea, because you can dig the walk out exactly where you want to, instead of bringing a tractor/backhoe in that is clumsy for the smaller jobs. I do a lot of smaller walks, and like to do it by myself, so it seems like the perfect companion. I can do a 200 sq foot walk in a weekend by myself, but any help would be great in saving myself from busting my ass so much. Also, a lot of houses have limited acces for wheelbarrels only (especially the lake summer homes), so it seems like it would be perfect.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

howdy just was looking at clarklift.com it somehow is part of the kanga line. and i did some looking at the kanga vs. gravely and yes they are the same machine, i looked at that before i read this so hey we're thinking alike . i just think this is the ticket to many a back saving job. i did notice the ramrod brand has a paver mover they have a nice web site. a.m. leonard catolog has the ramrod in there catolog for 14,079 dollars plus attachments they call the paver mover a paving stone mover and its 1,263.00 extra. the bucket is 323.00 and nursery tongs are 1120.00 . can you say makin some money ,i think this little machine is ideal . the only thing is you can't load high side trucks but if you had a dump trailer with two foot sides and a ramp , you could load the mini skid loader right on there and , still load material in the trailer to haul away. any body have a good dump trailer whats the best one i really like the foster trailer but the price turned me off! 8000.00. in the car mags., i get you can get a dump trailer for 4500.00 . do you like one hydrulic cylinder or two. see ya later jarrett
Old 03-17-2000, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, i'v seen that ramrod and the paver mover. What does it do? I know the gravely has around a 500 lb lift capacity, so how many paver could that move for me. If I could do a band at a time, that would be fine with me, but the ramrod set up looks like a basket that you stack them into. I was wondering if they make a setup like the paver cart that moves a band manually by locking onto it at the bottom. If not, maybe some homemade fabricating could be done for what the genius engineers who never been to a work site in their life couldn't figure out.<p>the dump trailer does sound like the way to go. Good idea! I have a 12 ft rack body, so dumping would be a major problem with those high sides. I had given thought to ramps going up the back and just driving the thing in the truck each time. I think they way around 1500lb, + a 500 load + 200lb operator would be over a ton. Maybe they would have to be REAL strong ramps though. Definitely like the dump trailer idea now!<br>But transporting it the back of the truck while pulling the trailer is definite productivity.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I've used the Dingo several times with the rototiller, trencher, bucket and leveler. I like the machine...ALOT! However, at the expo. this past year I tried out the Ramrod. It's about the same size maybe just a tad larger. If I had the $$$ I'd buy one tomorrow. I've looked at all of them more than once. Which one? I think I'd have to go with the Ramrod. The diesel unit. The Ramrod has a larger hydraulic system than the Dingo, which I have found to be the biggest drawback with the Dingo. The Ramrod also has more attachments than the Dingo also, and the price is much more resonable than the Dingo. I do like the Dingo don't get me wrong, heck they are headquartered about 8 mi. from my front door and the largest distributor for them is about 18 mi. away. And the folks at the Dist. are SUPER to work with. Hope this helps!<p>P.S. I've got a Dingo reserved for next Wed. & Thurs. at my local rental co. - installing an irrigation system and several lrg. beds.
Old 03-18-2000, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know about servicing the Ramrod?<br>They seem to have a limited dealership as of now, and getting it repaired seems like trouble. At least Toro and Gravely are fairly local to me. <p>Also, what about the new tracked Dingo. Doesn't it have a improved hydraulic system (dual pumps)?
Old 03-18-2000, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got back from the gravely dealer this morning. They say the skidster starts at around 12500 with the 20hp air cooled honda. Also, if you want hydraulic line setup for the engine, its an extra 1000. They have a 20 HP kohler diesel, and that started around 17500, base price.<p>Starting to get a little expensive. Plus, the machine comes with nothing, not even a bucket. The 4 in 1 is 2500, same for auger. <br>I don't know now. It looks like you need about 20 grand to get a basic setup. For that much, u could buy a real nice used 755/855 deer with a backhoe, or a smaller used full size skid steer. I'll have to do some more investigating. <br>
Old 03-18-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you're talking about. The look handier than *(&@, but they're only 20% less than a full SkidSteer that'll do double the work in most situations.
Old 03-18-2000, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, I forgot to let everyone know. While at the Expo. last yr. I spoke with both the Gravely and Kanga People. Gravely bought into Kanga and that is why the two look alike. Just a very few minor differences.
Old 03-19-2000, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

hi guys its suday so i have 5 seconds to talk to you guys , business is picking up. doing alot of bidding. the skid loader vs. the mini s.l. is a real good ?. i guess the full size is great for most things till you rip the heck out for the customers fence to get to the back yard, and then tear up the lawn turning around let alone putting the oregon trail in the soft soil after a rain . the mini skid loader is one machine i think the little guy should buy . its like having two or three extra guys on your crew. think what you would pay 3 guys to work one season 15000 x 3 45000 dollar a year times every year now 20000 doesn't sound bad does it.....hey check out a similar type of machine called a powertrac .com that is it cost with everything form 16000 to 28000 only thing i dont know of a dealer for them.. jarrett