Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ext. cab or crew cab?

For my "new to me" truck I can't decide whether I should go with an ext. cab or a crew cab. The truck will be a 2002-2006 chevy or gmc 2500 short box. I've had guys say to me that they wished they would have waited to find a crew cab instead of their ext. cab. This truck will be both my personal truck and work truck, so I want something that is functional for both situations. I've looked at some crew cabs and they are nice but yet they do make the truck really long. The ext. cabs are obviously shorter in length but I don't really know how much shorter or if it will make a big difference. I would like to be able to fit 4 adults in the vehicle (including myself) comfortably for short trips.

So what are you guys finding to be better, ext. or crew cabs? I need some advise/opinions.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My Dodge is a 4 door crew cab and it is nice when you have a group of people going somewhere, but when youre out working, its kinda useless. Plus, if you will ever have to put a baby seat in your truck, a crew cab makes it that much easier. Overall, I am glad I got the crew cab just for those times when you do need it. Its really not that much more than a extended cab anyway, nowadays they make way more crew cabs than ex cabs too.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Every single one of my trucks is Crew cab I just cant come to the decision to make my guys so squished in an ext. I personally think they look better most of the time.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed that the newer ext cabs seem to be bigger than the older ext. cabs, so that makes me feel a little better about and ext. cab. But yet that crew cab will be much more comfortable for people sitting in the back, especially if I take the truck on a trip.

But when I buy this truck, I want to do it right. I don't want to regret buying an ext. cab or crew cab a couple years down the road. I just want to make sure that I'm happy with my vehicle and won't have any regrets.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Im battling the reg cab vs crew cab idea myself. each has its own advantages. reg cab - better turning easier to get around, cant really take anyone with you (which to me is a plus!! no bumming rides!) the crew cab would be nice b.c it offers more space for things clothes, tools, paper work etc etc plus if i ever had to take the kids somewhere it would be easier. i can get a 12ft dump f-450 7.3 diesel with 70-120k miles. in either reg cab or crew cab for 13k-16k depending on milage.just cant decide what i want reg or crew.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have one of each and definitely prefer the crew cab. Much roomier inside and nice not to have to open the front door first so that you can open the back door like you have to on a ext cab.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go sit in both of the body you want! In the rear that is. I did that and I now have a crew cab. Not that I ever ride back there, but mine fold down and there is a lot of interior room in the back!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I test drove one truck I found, I did sit in the back to see how it was. The truck was an ext. cab and had much more leg room than older ext. cabs I've rode in, but I don't know how comfy it would be for someone if they were to be in there for an extended period of time (ie, road trip). I have yet to find a crew cab near me, so I haven't really sat in one yet.

I think on chevy's website the current 2010 2500 crew cabs are only 9 inches longer than the ext. cabs (overall truck length). So I guess it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

Any other opinons are greatly appreciated.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Either way, its going to be a good upgrade from the regular cab!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a ext cab have had one sence 2005. Now that I'm getting old planning a family any with work I am going to get crew cab I have taken plenty of trip with 4 adults in truck with a ext and they never complain just have to move seat up a bit but the crew is a lot better if rear person wants out the front won't have open the doors. More room under seats to.
Posted via Mobile Device