Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When Im working, I have my back seat crammed with junk, and tools, but try to keep it all in big plastic totes, so nothing will tear up or stain the seats. I do not think you will regret buying a crew cab, if just for the added space.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take 1 for a rdie and try parking it in a parking space. You answer will be there.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Take 1 for a rdie and try parking it in a parking space. You answer will be there.
You gotta park at the end of the lot......they will not fit into a normal spot without sticking out 4ft past the other cars. still worth it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I test drove a 2002 2500 ext. cab long box last week, that thing was like driving a bus. It was too big for most parking spaces. But it was also longer than a crew cab short box, by like a 1.5' too. So I already know that anything with a long box is out of the question. There is only a 9" difference between the ext. cab and crew cab short boxes, so I'm guessing that 9" isn't going to make much of a difference.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the option, definatly get the crew cab. The only reason I would go away from one now would be if I just found a screaming deal on a regular cab or ext cab to replace mine...as it is I found a deal on another crew cab, so no compromise. I would imagine a newer chevy like that will turn a little tighter than my 01 Ford, and I have no problems parking it wherever I want. I don't use it for much more than plowing, so to me it's my car too, and it's not bad to get around in at all. But I stepped up to it from my former daily driver now work truck that is a 96 F250 ext. cab long bed....not terrible to drive but definately a long truck.
22' goosneck flatbed 20' 14k tilt bumper pull skid trailer 18' tandem flatbed
05 JD 737 60" Z
07 JD 657A 54" Quik-trak
11 Z925A JD
Deere 36 w/b hydro
Toro 44 hydro
Deere 21's
Lesco Spreaders
RedMax stihl shindaiwa
200 gal spray rig
Billy Goat truck loader
7753 Bobcat
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

too confuse you a bit more i have had three variations first was a 96 ext cab dodge ram, the truck doesn't have the third door option which sucks when an adult has to get in the back does however offer a backseat that accommodates things that I need to keep safe and dry...I then had a chevy 1500 this had the third door option, (now they have dual rear doors) the chevy took it too Alabama with my wife, mother and father comfortable enough for the four of us...it would also accommodate the four of us and a car seat for our baby but we soon moved up to a tahoe b/c of the added doors...now i have so called downsized to a dakota quadcab the overall dimensions of the dakota are larger than my original Ram 1500...the dakota parks better than the Ram but that is due to the lowering kit on the Ram, gas mileage is better on the ram 318cui then the chevy 350cui and the dakota 288cui, why because of the rearend....all 3 had toneau covers...if i were to do it again I would go for a fullsize quadcab because I believe around here it would be easier to resell...only commercial guys have reg cabs, very few ext cabs on the road usually guys who want a little extra storage space most frequently seen is the quadcab, because after work you can throw in the kids and go to the track with the bikes/atv/sleds or down to the pub with the guys and the wife will also get in because you can keep a place clean and comfortable for her

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be shooting for a crew cab. With everyones responses, it sounds like a crew would be the best choice. And after reviewing the dimensions of these trucks, the length really isn't all that different between ext. and crew cabs. And since I would also like to keep this truck for a while, I want one that will be able to do everything I need and then some. So sounds like a crew cab will be my best option.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be shooting for a crew cab.
Good choice!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very good choice. You won't regret it. And with time you'll learn how to park a big truck...just push the other cars out of the way! Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that it will answer your question, but considering that we're talking trucks here I'll add my 2 cents. A regular cab long bed pickup is your best bet in this biz UNLESS you plan on regularly having more than 2 guys ride in it at a time. Cargo space/payload is the name of the game. If you're using it as your personal vehicle too, then sure get a crew cab-forget extended. But if this is going to be your primary work truck, I'd stick with a regular cab.
I am needing to get a new truck very badly, but am trying to squeeze out every last drop of use out of it considering that it is payed for. Ideally, I'd like a 3/4 ton truck for what I do, but just don't like the terrible fuel economy all of them get.