Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Greendog Greendog is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stanhope, NJ
Posts: 15
There should'nt be a problem puting door hangers on the flag on the mailbox. The law prohibits anyone from inserting anything inside the mailbox. I usually fold my flyers and pinch them on the flag, but I've alway thought that doorhangers would be best so that's what i'm planning on doing this season.

Good Luck guys!
.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 AM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NE,US
Posts: 200
This has been discussed MANY times on this site. You can't LEGALLY put anything on any part of the mailbox. YOUR mailman might look the other way... however this is the law...

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that “no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.” In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

Just do a yahoo or google seach for "federal mailbox laws"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 AM
JayD's Avatar
JayD JayD is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
This has been discussed MANY times on this site. You can't LEGALLY put anything on any part of the mailbox. YOUR mailman might look the other way... however this is the law...

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that “no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.” In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

Just do a yahoo or google seach for "federal mailbox laws"
Thanks for the info.........as it is the law, but its kind of one that they (at least here) don't enforce to the "T". They will get on you if you put it in, but they don't bother to bad for just hanging on it. It really depends on the mood of the carrier and if it is just to cluttered they might. But you will get a warning letter first. I know my nephew got one once for putting his receipt in a customers box. The letter just stated about the law and also said that his company's name has now been recorded with post office for violation and if it happens again fines would be assessed.

So at your own rick I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM
jada86's Avatar
jada86 jada86 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 124
Door Hangers !!!

I carry a nice backpack to trade shows and when distributing door hangers. You can carry a lot and it's easier on the back!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by hoylebros View Post
I've been putting out fliers for the first three years of my business. I was wondering about doing door hangers. How do you go about putting them out? Do you just park somewhere and start walking? How do you carry enough to canvas an entire neighborhood? Just trying to get a feel for your ways of doing it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Greendog Greendog is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stanhope, NJ
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanks for the info.........as it is the law, but its kind of one that they (at least here) don't enforce to the "T". They will get on you if you put it in, but they don't bother to bad for just hanging on it. It really depends on the mood of the carrier and if it is just to cluttered they might. But you will get a warning letter first. I know my nephew got one once for putting his receipt in a customers box. The letter just stated about the law and also said that his company's name has now been recorded with post office for violation and if it happens again fines would be assessed.

So at your own rick I guess.
I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
The best thing to do is call your local municipality regarding these issues. They may have ordinances restricting such advertising without a permit.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
southerngreenscape southerngreenscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: augusta georgia
Posts: 66
Where is a good website to get door hangers at a good price.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
JayD's Avatar
JayD JayD is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngreenscape View Post
Where is a good website to get door hangers at a good price.
plan-itgraphics.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
PLS-Tx's Avatar
PLS-Tx PLS-Tx is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngreenscape View Post
Where is a good website to get door hangers at a good price.
www.3000doorhangers.com
__________________
over 40 years old
20 years in business
full time


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
JohnnyRocker JohnnyRocker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
Don't do that. People hate when solicitors touch their cars. Kinda bush league, IMO.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advertising , door hangers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.10696 seconds with 8 queries