Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

There should'nt be a problem puting door hangers on the flag on the mailbox. The law prohibits anyone from inserting anything inside the mailbox. I usually fold my flyers and pinch them on the flag, but I've alway thought that doorhangers would be best so that's what i'm planning on doing this season.

Good Luck guys!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

This has been discussed MANY times on this site. You can't LEGALLY put anything on any part of the mailbox. YOUR mailman might look the other way... however this is the law...

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that “no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.” In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

Just do a yahoo or google seach for "federal mailbox laws"
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
This has been discussed MANY times on this site. You can't LEGALLY put anything on any part of the mailbox. YOUR mailman might look the other way... however this is the law...

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that “no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.” In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

Just do a yahoo or google seach for "federal mailbox laws"
Thanks for the info.........as it is the law, but its kind of one that they (at least here) don't enforce to the "T". They will get on you if you put it in, but they don't bother to bad for just hanging on it. It really depends on the mood of the carrier and if it is just to cluttered they might. But you will get a warning letter first. I know my nephew got one once for putting his receipt in a customers box. The letter just stated about the law and also said that his company's name has now been recorded with post office for violation and if it happens again fines would be assessed.

So at your own rick I guess.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Door Hangers !!!

I carry a nice backpack to trade shows and when distributing door hangers. You can carry a lot and it's easier on the back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoylebros View Post
I've been putting out fliers for the first three years of my business. I was wondering about doing door hangers. How do you go about putting them out? Do you just park somewhere and start walking? How do you carry enough to canvas an entire neighborhood? Just trying to get a feel for your ways of doing it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanks for the info.........as it is the law, but its kind of one that they (at least here) don't enforce to the "T". They will get on you if you put it in, but they don't bother to bad for just hanging on it. It really depends on the mood of the carrier and if it is just to cluttered they might. But you will get a warning letter first. I know my nephew got one once for putting his receipt in a customers box. The letter just stated about the law and also said that his company's name has now been recorded with post office for violation and if it happens again fines would be assessed.

So at your own rick I guess.
I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
The best thing to do is call your local municipality regarding these issues. They may have ordinances restricting such advertising without a permit.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is a good website to get door hangers at a good price.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngreenscape View Post
plan-itgraphics.com
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngreenscape View Post
www.3000doorhangers.com

Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
Don't do that. People hate when solicitors touch their cars. Kinda bush league, IMO.

Tags
advertising , door hangers