Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

hoping for 3 photo's here- one of the collar ties, or the bottom brace of the trusses. One of the x braces on the top of trusses. this stops parallelagram like racking. imagine the overhead view of the shop as a square, and the x keeps it square rather than a parallelagram. The final photo should be the angle braces from the bottom of the trusses to the purlins. this also stops racking, but a different direction, it is from running the length of the building, or the tendancy of the trusses to lean over. they also help keep the purlins from bowing under heavy snow loads by using the bottom truss cord strength.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2010, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

half the metal roof on today. got on it, and gotta tell you, the difference between a 45 year roof and whatever I have on the old shop building is immense. that new roof is tight. very solid.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

roof on building finally done yesterday. looks good and now I must start getting sides put on. as money allows I will close up the west, south, then east sides, then finally figure out the side that abuts the other building. my plan is to extend the new building roof over the old and completely cover the old with new roof and new siding.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Starting on the 2x4's on the west side today to close it up. cost estimate- 300 for 2x4's, and 450 for the 1x6 rough cut oak siding. 3 inch stainless screws and tyvek wrap already purchased previously and included in already listed building costs. air nails already purchased previously. photos to come.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

wow, almost 2 months since last update or photos. got some stuff done, here we go-
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1st photo is the first front shot I have posted with the roof complete, happy with that, and shows the side with the 6 open bay doors and the 3 window openings. you can also see the front double bottom plate we got in yesterday for the front right to be framed out. anchored that plate with 6, 1/2" "red-head" anchors.

2nd photo is more of a side shot showing the windows and bay door. size is to be noted here. I ordered 4 windows from window world, $220 each includes the cost of the window and labor. the windows are 4 foot wide and 7 feet tall. the bay door openings are aprox 7 foot wide and 10 feet tall. we tried to tyvec paper as we went. top is all framed out above windows and doors and solid walls, just waiting for paper up top and windows to be installed. we can only do siding up to the bottom of the windows until they get here.

3rd photo is how far we have made it up the back wall, about 8.5 feet. we need to paper up the next level, raise up our scaffolding/ladder system to 8' step ladder height. after that is maxed out, I am putting off beyond 13' or so of siding height to spring of '11
Old 08-22-2010, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

goals by Sept 13: to finish framing out the front for the 12x12 door, the solid wall to the right of that with the single window opening and do siding up to bottom of that til windows are installed, paper left side above windows and paper back wall and side up to 13-14 feet or so, siding doen up to bottom of 3 windows on left side, 10 lights installed under canopy, and center pallet racks up.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

money totals- previous total without sides, 13132, plus

the 750 I spent on 2x4's for the back side and oak siding,
plus- 4 windows, not here yet but had to pay half down, so go ahead and list expense here- 880,
rough oak 2x12's and 2x4's for headers on windows and bay doors, 180, stainless steel nails for siding, 110,
regular 2x4's for top and bottom plates, window framing, top of headers, 258
red head anchors for double bottom plate at front and back of shop, 24,
New air compressor ( old one burned out from using it on fraing nailer and siding nailer) $223
Tyvec building paper- 218
staples 9
new total- 13132+750+880+180+110+258+24+223+218+9=

Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

back wall of the shop is done, front is framed and papered, and windows should go in this week. photos to come next week, and we will probably stop construction as Christmas lights start going up next monday.
spent 400 more on boards for siding, and got a heck of a deal on 10,000 coil nails for my air gun. stainless and ring shank, 2 1/2 inches is nearly perfect for 1 inch thick oak boards. only paid 90 bucks shipped, or less than 1 cent per nail. I paid about 4 cents each for the last run of 3 inch stainless naisl, which was a very good price, and about 6-8 cents each for stainless screws. glavanized nails for the gun have been about 2 cents each.
bought a box of 97 4 inch stanley brand brass hinges for 92 bucks shipped. will need 84 of those for barn and loft doors. again, great deal, those are 2.68 each at Lowe's

15784 + 400 +90 +92 is

16366 for my running shop total.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

someone mentioned storage in another thread, and thought I'd add some updates to this before the season goes crazy. really need to update photos. have enclosed the area on the old building side with temporary metal until we extend the roof from the new shop to the old ( phase 2 below) and we have now finished the siding on the front of the shop with the oak lap. bay door side of shop is still only partially sided with wood, and no doors anywhere yet. basically a 3 and a half sided structure. bought and put up - 26 foot tall pallet racks down the middle with shelving on some,-500 for uprights and 1200 for beams, 400 for shelves and some posts

and put in 22, t8 fluorescent shop lights 13 bucks apiece ( 314 with tax total ) at lowes plus 100 bucks in bulbs, 215 in wire and junction boxes.

have another pile of rough cut 1x6 oak siding sitting around for install season to get over. paid 250 for it.

bought some rough cut cedar for a few barn doors and loft doors, $230.

total paid since last update 16366+500+1200+400+314+100+215+250+230

19755. I feel I need to add some labor here as I have used my guys a bit to put up pallet racks, light fixtures, run wire and put up a bit of siding and paper. I have not kept up with it , but I am betting a few grand out of pocket is not too high or low. I am going to add 3k here to be fair. so total right now with construction stopped for the next 35 days or so is $22755.

although I still have work to do, just was curious about how much per square foot I have paid to this point. shop is 3080 square feet, so I am at 7.38 per foot right now. I am hoping to spend less than 4k to finish siding, soffit, stain, paint, doors, and misc.

to finish the "new side"I still have to buy more siding and put it up for the left- "bay door" side, and 7 double barn doors to build, and some trim to put up. not to mention closing in the area above the header on bay door side for a soffit or something so this building is officially "weather tight", and then staining and painting trim. I will do some of that from install finish time, probably Dec 10 or so til Dec 25, and finish whatever building projects on new side by spring of 2011. also have some concrete fill in work here and there where pad is not done all the way.

the scary thing is then the project moves into phase 2, which then the roof on the right side is extended and new walls cover the old shop. that starts when the new side is mostly finished.

This project may take me 2 more seasons to complete ! when done, hopefully enough storage room for 400 customers and room to work on projects.

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 11-03-2010 at 01:19 AM.