Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerk82 View Post
Just my opinion, you dont think we should make sure all the Americans have a home and food first? because their are many starving Americans, Haiti is not are problem nor is it any of our business to go down there and take control over their airports or anything else. And its not are fault they have financial problems their are many other countries that do to but if we go around helping them all before we help ourselve we will be the poor country waiting for help and free handouts, they financially maid their bed so they can lay in it! It is unfortunate what happened but its not our mess we have our own messes to clean up! If you want to help so much their is still plenty of Katrina work to do in Mississippi and Louisiana, our we have the mud slide out in California where thousands of people lost power and hundreds of homes were detroyed.
As a country we have the means and the money necessary to help out other countries in need. In a way it is seen as our responsibility around the world to come to the aid of a country like Haiti that is in crisis. Like it or not it would be us that would be getting dumped on all around the world if we didn't go give help and money to Haiti right now.
The deal with Haiti is they are not able to help themselves. Think about it this way, your elderly neighbor falls and gets injured and they don't have a way to get to the hospital for help. Are you just going to drive by and head to work or are you going to stop and give them the help that they need? Your elderly neighbor is not able to help themselves at that time, they are kind of like Haiti in this situation, they are in need and not able to help themselves.

Yes we have our own problems but sometimes you have to help others as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerk82 View Post
Anyone going to help Haiti has there head up there you know what! Our economy is horrible and we are going to spend more tax dollars on a country full of people who hate us, we are still in a mess over in the middle east we should probally clean that up first and who helps America when we have a dissaster? NOBODY! I spent 6 months doing hurricane Katrina work I covered an area from Pensacola FL to Houston TX and the only people down there helping were Americans! And if we do have the tax dollars to waste on Haiti dont you think we should spend it on all the poor & homeless Americans first? Its just my opinion but we should help ourselves first and if or when we recover then help other countries who dont hate us and also need the help if they are willing to help us when we need it.
I think you're looking at this from an extremely "near sighted" viewpoint. It is true that our wonderful nation has our problems.

However, it is vital that we understand where our great country sits on the world stage regarding our compassion, our ability to give hope, our ability to give protection and safe harbor, and our ability to give material and support.

Others have mentioned some of the same things, but our country was founded on better things than just taking care of ourselves. I always look to some of Ronald Reagan's speeches when I need to remember what this country stands for. Here are a couple links to two of his greatest speeches. Read the section about a "shining city on a hill" in his farewell address, and the section in his inaguration speech where he speaks about how, "We will again be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope for those who do not now have freedom." Our country is not just a "place", it is a constant example and reminder of who we are and what we stand for here at home and abroad on other's shores.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_27.html

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_21.html
Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I think you're looking at this from an extremely "near sighted" viewpoint. It is true that our wonderful nation has our problems.

However, it is vital that we understand where our great country sits on the world stage regarding our compassion, our ability to give hope, our ability to give protection and safe harbor, and our ability to give material and support.

Others have mentioned some of the same things, but our country was founded on better things than just taking care of ourselves. I always look to some of Ronald Reagan's speeches when I need to remember what this country stands for. Here are a couple links to two of his greatest speeches. Read the section about a "shining city on a hill" in his farewell address, and the section in his inaguration speech where he speaks about how, "We will again be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope for those who do not now have freedom." Our country is not just a "place", it is a constant example and reminder of who we are and what we stand for here at home and abroad on other's shores.

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_27.html

http://www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_21.html
I agree with you to an exstent, Im not a cold person at all I help many people but only ones who return the faver. I never said we should not help others I said we need to help ourselves first then help others who would be willing to help us. We have done so much for Haiti when does it end? You and I are the ones paying for this and every other hard working tax paying American Not to mention the millions of tax dollars waisted on illegals from Haiti who cross the borders daily in Florida and then run the crime rate through the roof and lower job wages.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ilegals from haiti entering the boarder in florida? Looks like the coast guards you pay so much of your tax dollars on arent doing there job...

And what do you honesly expect the haitians to give back you? They have nothing to give! But i can assure you that if they had a way to tell us thanks they would.

you cant blame the innocent people on the corrupt government they have, but i can surely say that the money is better helping them out then giving it to wall street so they can line there pockets just a little bit more!

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Ilegals from haiti entering the boarder in florida? Looks like the coast guards you pay so much of your tax dollars on arent doing there job...

And what do you honesly expect the haitians to give back you? They have nothing to give! But i can assure you that if they had a way to tell us thanks they would.

you cant blame the innocent people on the corrupt government they have, but i can surely say that the money is better helping them out then giving it to wall street so they can line there pockets just a little bit more!
We gave there goverment 2 billion dollars a few years ago to get them on the rite track and it only fueled there corruption now this week we have given another 500 million and Im sure they will get much more so when does it end China is the words super power not us let them come fix it. America needs a break from trying to save the world. And the amount of people patroling the borders is a very small number compared to the amount of illegals coming in.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can not imagin that any machine that goes to haiti will come back in any useable condition.

Going to do work in Haiti is not like doing recovery work at the world trade center. You need to bring everything that you need. Food, Water, shelter, fuel, etc. Good luck not getting all your stuff stolen and your ass killed.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

As a christian, I am taught that there are four responses to situations like what's going on in Haiti: GIVE, GO, PRAY, or DISOBEDIENCE! As a christian, God expects me, as a christian, to respond, and to do it without an expectation of a return. I've prayed and given to aid agencies working in Haiti. And I did it without asking what I could expect in return. When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston/Galveston area, I took time from work and took equipment to some of the hardest hit areas and helped people clean up. And when those people asked me why I was doing that, I told them it was out of Love for them. I didn't pull up and say, well I'll help you out, but I expect some type of return for my help. Next year, I'll be taking some time from work to go to South Africa to help build churches, schools, and water projects in the rural areas - I did not ask for a promise of something in return - I did it because it is what is expected of me as a christian. And that's what we all should do, whether you're a christian or not: DO WITHOUT AN EXPECTATION OF A RETURN!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said SpecOne.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOne View Post
As a christian, I am taught that there are four responses to situations like what's going on in Haiti: GIVE, GO, PRAY, or DISOBEDIENCE! As a christian, God expects me, as a christian, to respond, and to do it without an expectation of a return. I've prayed and given to aid agencies working in Haiti. And I did it without asking what I could expect in return. When Hurricane Ike hit the Houston/Galveston area, I took time from work and took equipment to some of the hardest hit areas and helped people clean up. And when those people asked me why I was doing that, I told them it was out of Love for them. I didn't pull up and say, well I'll help you out, but I expect some type of return for my help. Next year, I'll be taking some time from work to go to South Africa to help build churches, schools, and water projects in the rural areas - I did not ask for a promise of something in return - I did it because it is what is expected of me as a christian. And that's what we all should do, whether you're a christian or not: DO WITHOUT AN EXPECTATION OF A RETURN!
Well does this not apply to everything? Have you ever passed a man holding a sign asking for money and not gave it to him? Passed a car on the side of the road and not stopped? Do you give every beggar money? If you see a house in disrepair do you stop and fix it? Or do you need a natural disaster for a persons needs to have validity?

People tend to pick a cause and rally to it. They only want to help those that they think are not capable of helping themselves. There is plenty to do here and NO we cannot afford to help other countries. Your country is deep in dept and going broke. These same people who feel so strongly about helping these other countries selectively help there own neighbor here in the States. If you want to go then go but remember all men are created equal and that Country you are helping has the same exact opportunities as the good ole USA does. We all started from the same place they just chose to exist different than we do.
Heck there are still people from Katrina that need help? It's alot closer than Haiti.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Well does this not apply to everything? Have you ever passed a man holding a sign asking for money and not gave it to him? Passed a car on the side of the road and not stopped? Do you give every beggar money? If you see a house in disrepair do you stop and fix it? Or do you need a natural disaster for a persons needs to have validity?

People tend to pick a cause and rally to it. They only want to help those that they think are not capable of helping themselves. There is plenty to do here and NO we cannot afford to help other countries. Your country is deep in dept and going broke. These same people who feel so strongly about helping these other countries selectively help there own neighbor here in the States. If you want to go then go but remember all men are created equal and that Country you are helping has the same exact opportunities as the good ole USA does. We all started from the same place they just chose to exist different than we do.
Heck there are still people from Katrina that need help? It's alot closer than Haiti.
I love it. Lets borrow some more money from China and then give it away.